Paddle shifter installation for 2007+ G35 Sedan

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

I recently purchased a set of OEM Titanium paddle shifters for my 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey. I purchased these paddle shifters from a seller on Ebay who had an additional OEM set new in box for $225.00. This distributor does not specialize in paddle shifters, so you may have to buy these from your local dealer or search on Ebay for them. You may even be able to get a set from a local salvage yard that is parting out a wrecked G35. Had I chosen to go to the dealer for this installation, it would have cost me well over $800.00 for parts and labor! I'm not certain that this is compatible with all models of the 2007+ G35 sedan so do your homework before you purchase this for yourself. I believe that this modification will make a G3X a G35XS as the only real difference in the Sport model is the 18" rims and paddle shifters. I don't count the seat extensions in the sport as that much of an upgrade... just my opinion.

I received the paddle shifters this morning and couldn't wait to get started on the install. I received an instructional CD with the shifters that thoroughly walked me step by step through the process. After reviewing the CD, I was confident that this was an undertaking I could manage. I would not consider myself a genius when it comes to mechanics, but I have a good head on my shoulders and a decent sense of how things work so don't be intimidated to attempt this installation yourself. It is VERY MUCH worth it!

Total installation time was about an hour from start to finish.

The paddle shifter package included:Two (2) Titanium Paddle shifters (Pre wired and ready to connect)Lower trim pieceUpper trim pieceLeft side trim pieceRight side trim pieceFour (4) 10mm coarse thread trim boltsTwo (2) 10mm lock nutsInstructional CD

Tools Needed:One (1) 19mm socketOne (1) 10mm socketOne (1) Socket wrench with extension for aboveOne (1) Phillips head screwdriverOne (1) "Miniature" standard head screwdriverOne (1) T-30 Tamper proof bit or wrenchFour (4) #6 or #8 X 1" coarse thread screws

Before you get started, telescope your steering wheel all the way out and up to give yourself room to work. Align the steering wheel in a straight position and turn the vehichle off. Allow the steering wheel to lock, but note the steering wheel postion is not in the perfect 12 o'clock position as we'll address this later.

IMPORTANT!DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY! You don't want a face full of airbag when installing these paddle shifters! I only removed the negative (Black) terminal which does the trick.

Disassembly:

Remove the two plastic circular covers on the side of the steering wheel, exposing the T-30 Tamper proof airbag mounts. (Set aside)

Remove the Airbag mount screws (in the circular hole) using the T-30 Tamper Proof screw driver. (Set aside) These screws were very stubborn to remove so I used the assistance of my handy cordless drill to pursuade them out. Be very careful not to strip these screws. Gently remove the airbag unit (Horn button) from the steering wheel. Do not allow the airbag unit to hang from its connecting wires. Unclip the airbag connection by unsnapping the black clasp on top of the Orange and Yellow Airbag connections. Set the airbag unit aside. Disconnect the (Gray) steering wheel connection and the (Clear) ground wire from the steering assembly. (Pictured in center below)

Since the steering wheel is a little off center, I used a pen to mark on the 12 o'clock position of the steering wheel hub to mark center. This will give you a point of reference for center and allow you to make sure the steering wheel is properly aligned when re-assembling.

Using the 19mm socket wrench with extension, unscrew the center hub steering wheel mount. (Set the nut aside for re-assembly) Grab the steering wheel at 3o'clock and 9o'clock and pull towards you for easy removal. You may need to rock the steering wheel a bit, but it should come off without much force.

Using the Phillips head screwdriver, remove the screw that holds the lower trim piece in place. This screw is located at the bottom of the steering column, just off center to the right. Set screw aside for re-installation. Then disconnect the power telescoping wheel assembly and remove from trim piece. Set aside for re-assembly to the new left hand trim piece.

Your 2007 Infinit G35 Sedan comes pre-wired for a quick connect to the paddle shifters. Locate the quick connect clip on each side of the exposed steering column and remove tape from connection clasp.

Using the pre-wired connection, connect the electrical wire to the base of your paddle shifter before you hard mount it to the steering column. Using the 10mm bolts included in your kit, securely attach the paddle shifters to each side of the steering column.

Re-Assembly

Reconnect the electrical telescoping wheel assembly and attach to new left hand trim piece. Secure the left and right trim pieces to the steering coulumn using the screws you set aside before. Connect the new lower trim piece using the same screw as before.

Re-attach the steering wheel to the center hub assembly making sure that you feed the airbag cables back through the steering wheel. When re-attaching the steering wheel, use the pen mark you made as a point of reference and make sure the steering wheel is properly aligned and threaded onto the steering column.

Using the 19mm socket wrench, re-connect the steering wheel with the lock nut you removed before. Be sure to tighten the steering wheel nut securely! You don't want that sucker coming off later!

Re-connect the airbag unit to the center of the steering wheel, matching yellow to yellow and orange to orange. Secure the Airbag assembly back to the steering wheel using the T-30 Tamper proof bolts you set aside earlier. Replace the cosmetic plastic circles on the side of the steering wheel.

Re-connect your battery. Your car may not start very well without this step!

You now have Infiniti OEM Paddle shifters for your G35!

I test drove the car soon after installation and was COMPLETELY SATISFIED! The paddle shifters work amazingly and are a great accent to the interior design to this sports sedan. Gear change requests are smooth and very quick! I would have to say that changing the gears with the paddle shifters is not only faster than the lower gear shift, but provides a smoother transition in gear changes. I would recommend this improvement to anyone who is interested in adding a little touch of F1 to your already great car! On a complication scale of 1-5 wrenches (1 being a simple oil change and 5 being a total engine overhaul) this modification was a 1.5-2 wrench project that anyone with an hour on their hands and a little general car knowledge can undertake on their own! Well worth the $225.00 and an hour of my Saturday! Happy modding and hope to hear your opinions/questions regarding this install!

Nicoclub is the best!

Thanks,Dave

Modified by ArizonaG35 at 4:05 PM 3/1/2008

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Well done my friend. good write up.

zozo

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

Wow no that looks nice.

Congrats on doing it yourself!!

I don't know man all that added weight? How will you ever be able to keep up with me at the track next Saturday night?

Well at least the rogue screw fell out of your trunk!

Jeff

Captain
Car: 2008 G35 Sport

Doesn't the G35S have a slightly stiffer and lower suspension than the regular G35?

bomatdaman
Car: 07 G35

Dave,

Awesome job of explaining this!! You've inspired me to try the same on my 07 G35x. The color of my interior is tan. Hopefully, I'll be able to find the corresponding kit.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. I hope I can return the favor some day...

bomatdaman
Car: 07 G35

Here's one Infiniti dealer that is offering the kit (in black or tan trim) for $215:

http://www.grubbsperformance.c...=3068

I'm sure most local dealers would likely match if not give you a better deal.

ArizonaG35

Captain wrote:Doesn't the G35S have a slightly stiffer and lower suspension than the regular G35?
I've not heard that, but maybe an Infiniti guru will chime in and let us know. Good question... I'm sure there are other differences between the Journey and the Sport... Interested to hear opinions/comments.

ArizonaG35

bomatdaman wrote:Dave,

Awesome job of explaining this!! You've inspired me to try the same on my 07 G35x. The color of my interior is tan. Hopefully, I'll be able to find the corresponding kit.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. I hope I can return the favor some day...
Welcome to Nicoclub!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here... I really enjoy doing these write-ups so I'm glad that you have been inspired (That's why we're here) Let us know if you decide to do this modification as I'm totally satisfied with it and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do! Keep us posted and be sure to show us pics of your ride!

Dave

BigWill
Car: Gone, but not forgotten-2004 G35 Coupe-5AT-Graphite Now-2008 Black Saphire IS 250

Excellent write-up ArizonaG35. There was only one problem I found with it. IT ISN'T AVAILABLE FOR MY '04 COUPE!!

I am SO jealous!! I use the E-shift a LOT in my car.

slimsol
Car: 2014 rogue

So once i have this paddles installed, do i have to put gear shifter to 'ds' before i can use paddles to switch gears? or i can just leave shifter in "D" and switch gears using paddles?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Here is a link that has pictures since they are missing here: http://www.infinitig37.com/infiniti-g37 ... stall.html

I know on the '07-08 sedan, '08 coupe, and '14 Q50 (cars I've owned) you can use the paddle shifters whenever you want. If you are not in DS mode when you use one then it will go back to standard drive mode within 10 or so seconds (should state how long in the owners manual). If you use them while in DS mode (Q50 does not have a DS mode like the G37 so it does not count) then it will select whatever gear you tell it and stay there until you are going too slow and it needs to shift down; it will not shift up and will hit the rev limiter if you are accelerating. In the 5AT transmission cars it will pretty much allow you to drop as many gears as you want, even if it drops you around the rev limiter. I've seen this with my '07 and '08 and also on loaner vehicles like the ES when it also had the 5AT.

Now, on the 7AT transmission cars it won't allow you to drop down too many gears so it will beep at you dependent on your RPM's.

Halimch
Car: G35x 2007

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

We carry the kits on our website, color interior specific.
https://www.tunerzstore.com/Infiniti-G3 ... ccessories

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”