P2138 Error code - Bumpy acceleration at low speeds

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
dinof
Car: 2009 Rogue S

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to be part of the Nissan family. Coming from a long line of Oldsmobiles with my dad, my first car is a 2009 Nissan Rogue S.

I've got about 150,000 miles on it and service has been done regularly on the vehicle. Recently we had a random engine stall on two separate occassions:
1. Immediately after putting the car in drive and moving forward, the car stalled on the second gas pedal push after pushing the pedal once to get out of the spot. I pushed down on the pedal and couldn't hear the engine rev. I stopped the vehicle, restarted and was able to drive with the engine light on.
2. Stopped at a light to turn left and the same thing happened. Managed to restart the engine and it was ok after that. Again the engine light came on. We got rid of the engine light the first time by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Since this second incident we haven't reset the engine light the stall hasn't happened but...

3. We did notice that the acceleration at lower speeds is very bumpy and not smooth at all. The revs suddenly drop while accelerating at lower speeds. Once we get to above 40mph that goes away. The second issue is I feel like at highway speeds the car hesitates for a fraction of a second over and over again while maintaining about 60mph. Its very very subtle and you have to really concentrate to sense this.

4. I used a code reader and it came up as P2138, "Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor Voltage Correlation DTC" so I inspected the accelerator pedal sensor, it all looks extremely clean, no cracking in the wires or warping or anything. I've attached pictures. So I'm wondering could it be something else ? I've ordered the pedal sensor its about $200. Thanks for any help everyone!

https://imgur.com/a/2Ql3FqU

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Here is someone else who had the same issue

p0228-limp-mode-replaced-pedal-twice-ce ... 65012.html

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

http://www.nirogue.com/p2138_app_sensor-495.html

Nissan Rogue Service Manual: P2138 APP sensor
Nissan Rogue Service Manual / Engine / Engine Control System / DTC/Circuit diagnosis / P2138 APP sensor

DTC Description

DTC DETECTION LOGIC
DTC No. CONSULT screen terms (Trouble diagnosis content) DTC detecting condition
P2138 APP SENSOR (Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch ″D″ / ″E″ voltage correlation) Rationally incorrect voltage is sent to ECM compared with the signals from APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Harness or connectors (APP sensor 1 or 2 circuit is open or shorted.)
Accelerator pedal position sensor (APP sensor 1 or 2)
Sensor power supply 2 circuit

FAIL-SAFE

The ECM controls the electric throttle control actuator in regulating the throttle opening in order for the idle position to be within +10 degrees.
The ECM regulates the opening speed of the throttle valve to be slower than the normal condition. So, the acceleration will be poor.

DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE

1.CHECK DTC PRIORITY

If DTC P2138 is displayed with DTC P0643, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC P0643.

Is applicable DTC detected? YES >> Perform diagnosis of applicable. Refer to EC-379, "DTC Description".

NO >> GO TO 2.

2.PRECONDITIONING

If DTC Confirmation Procedure has been previously conducted, always perform the following procedure before conducting the next test.

Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Turn ignition switch ON.
Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

TESTING CONDITION: Before performing the following procedure, confirm that battery voltage is more than 8 V at idle.

>> GO TO 3.

3.PERFORM DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE

Start engine and let it idle for 1 second.
Check DTC.

Is DTC detected? YES >> Proceed to EC-449, "Diagnosis Procedure".

NO >> INSPECTION END

Diagnosis Procedure

1.CHECK DTC PRIORITY

If DTC P2138 is displayed with DTC P0643, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC P0643.

Is applicable DTC detected? YES >> Perform diagnosis of applicable. Refer to EC-379, "DTC Description".

NO >> GO TO 2.

2.CHECK APP SENSOR 1 POWER SUPPLY

Turn ignition switch OFF.
Disconnect accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor harness connector.
Turn ignition switch ON.
Check the voltage between APP sensor harness connector and ground.

Check APP sensor 1 power supply

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> GO TO 4.

NO >> GO TO 3.

3.CHECK APP SENSOR 1 POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Disconnect ECM harness connector.
Check the continuity between APP sensor harness connector and ECM harness connector.

Check APP sensor 1 power supply circuit

Also check harness for short to ground.

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> Perform the trouble diagnosis for power supply circuit.

NO >> Repair or replace error-detected parts.

4.CHECK APP SENSOR 2 POWER SUPPLY

Check the voltage between APP sensor harness connector and ground.

Check APP sensor 2 power supply

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> GO TO 6.

NO >> GO TO 5.

5.CHECK SENSOR POWER SUPPLY 2 CIRCUIT

Perform EC-484, "Diagnosis Procedure".

Is inspection result normal? YES >> Perform the trouble diagnosis for power supply circuit.

6.CHECK APP SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT

Disconnect ECM harness connector.
Check the continuity between APP sensor harness connector and ECM harness connector.

Heck APP sensor ground circuit

Also check harness for short to power.

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> GO TO 7.

7.CHECK APP SENSOR INPUT SIGNAL CIRCUIT

1. Check the continuity between APP sensor harness connector and ECM harness connector.

Check APP sensor input signal circuit

Also check harness for short to ground and to power.

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> GO TO 8.

NO >> Repair or replace error-detected parts

8.CHECK APP SENSOR

Check the APP sensor. Refer to EC-451, "Component Inspection".

Is the inspection result normal? YES >> GO TO 9.

NO >> Replace accelerator pedal assembly. Refer to ACC-3, "Removal and Installation".

9.CHECK INTERMITTENT INCIDENT

Refer to GI-41, "Intermittent Incident".

>> INSPECTION END

Component Inspection

1.CHECK ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR

Reconnect all harness connectors disconnected.
Turn ignition switch ON.
Check the voltage between ECM harness connector terminals as per the following conditio

Check accelerator pedal position sensor

Is the inspection result normal?

YES >> INSPECTION END

NO >> Replace accelerator pedal assembly. Refer to ACC-3, "Removal and Installation".

P2135 TP sensor
DTC Description DTC DETECTION LOGIC DTC No. CONSULT screen terms (Trouble diagnosis content) DTC detecting condition P2135 TP SENSOR-B1 (Throttle/pedal position sensor ...

P2610 ECM internal timer
Description This ECM contains a timer and measures time between an ignition switch OFF and the next ignition switch ON. This enables the judging of the state of engine cooling at an engine start. ...

Other materials:

U1010 control unit (CAN)
Description Initial diagnosis of combination meter. DTC Logic DTC DETECTION LOGIC DTC CONSULT Detection Condition Possible Cause U1010 CONTROL UNIT (CAN) [U1010] When detecting error during the initial diagnosis of the CAN controller of co ...

Body component parts
Underbody Component Parts Both sided anti-corrosive precoated steel portions High strength steel (HSS) portions: 440 MPa Both sided anti-corrosive steel and HSS portions: 440 MPa CAUTION: If the high strength steel (ultra high strength steel) of this is broken, replace by assem ...

Tilt/telescopic steering
WARNING Do not adjust the steering wheel while driving. You could lose control of your vehicle and cause an accident. Do not adjust the steering wheel any closer to you than is necessary for proper steering operation and comfort. The driver’s air bag ...

dinof
Car: 2009 Rogue S

Thank you. I ended up replacing the accelerator pedal and the problem has not returned.

Return to “Rogue Forum”