P1778 code/trans not shifting at times holding 6k rpms

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Rlylteco
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano SL FWD

Replaced driver side CV Axle with cheap one from rockauto.. and then the axle started leaking trans fluid at the seal, so I replaced it with another one Same thing leaking trans fluid at the seal, replaced the seal again and still leaked.. so Ive been leaking fluid slightly & keeping an eye on it never letting it get low, so i filled it with cv fluid from nissan dealership, been driving fine for couple of months. today on the way home it started to not shift out of gear when it wanted too and stay at about 6,000 rpms at times.. pending code on my scan tool says P1778 step/motor function'
also looking for a tear down manual or removal procedure for a replacement trans if necessary~

2009 Nissan Murano SL 2wd

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

That P1778 a mechanical fault. Checking the fluid level is a pain on these but at least there is a way as described in the FSM https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 009/TM.pdf unlike many other sealed system. As indicated in this section of the FSM, the engine and transmission need to be removed together in order to do extensive work on the transmission. There isn't much in the way of detailed tear down procedures for the transmission itself, just removal and some major component work procedures in this FSM section.

Return to “Murano Forum”