P1145 INTK TIM S/CIRC-B2

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
jc08z
Car: 2000 Nissan Elgrand E50 3.5 V6 VQ35DE

Ok, so in the interest of full disclosure, my vehicle isnt a 350z. BUT...My Nissan Elgrand uses a VQ35DE engine, Just like a 350z. I've had absolutely no help with this elsewhere so I'm hoping someone from the 350Z scene can help me.

So, last year my car's EML came on. Bought an code scanner, returned the P1145 fault code. I bought a pair of sensors/solenoids (left and right) and had the garage replace the left side one (which the fault code would suggest needed replacing). Didn't solve the issue and the code come back as soon as I drove the car.

fast forward a year and I have barely used the Elgrand except for the occasional short journey. Runs absolutely fine.
I want to start using it properly but I'm scared to cause damage by running it with the EML on.
So I took the right ride sensor off and then realised that the connector was totally different on the one Id bought as part of a pair. Mine has a lead with a connector on the end, the one Id bought had the connector build onto the body of the unit itself, (the same as my left side one). Turns out there are quite a lot of different connectors on the same part as this engine has been used on a lot of vehicles and gone though numerous revisions.
So I ordered a right side valve with a lead and connector like my original. It arrived and it had the wrong connector :picard:

So, I fitted it anyway and cut the connector off the old one and put it on the new one. Reset the codes, fired up the engine and tested again. P1145 back again. Switched the 2 wires around (no way of knowing the polarity as the new sensor has 2 black wires). Repeat and test again; P1145.

So, I decide to try unplugging bank 2 (left side) which the garage fitted, wipe the codes and test again. Still P1145!!
Tried with BOTH disconnected...you guessed it. Still the same code.

So now I have no idea whats going on. Was my original valve even at fault? Why would it show the same code regardless of whether both, either or neither valve is connected??

Out of ideas now. Really want to get to the bottom of this. I
Even if the issue isnt the valve and there is a blockage caused by bad oil down the line, surely if should throw up a different code with bank 1 disconnected?

I want to use the van for a camping trip at the end of July so running out of time to get it sorted. Really hoping I can get some input from this forum.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance if you have something useful to contribute.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

P1145 is a "performance" code as opposed to "flatline", but it doesn't actually even show up as valid for any of the US models I checked. So if you don't have a wrong sensor or actuator in there (which isn't clear), I'd point out that most performance codes in the IVT/EVT system are caused by high resistance in the wiring (either damaged conductors or bad pin-fits on the connectors) or by magnetized garbage on the camshaft reluctor. My guess is your problem is one of those and not a component failure.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - It's also possible (but less likely) that you have a hydraulic issue. The oil passages feeding the IVT/EVT's and cam phaser are very tiny and susceptible to clogging if there's been any poor maintenance. However, the codes from a partial clog will usually be hit-and-miss, so in your case it's less likely than a wiring issue.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”