P1110

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
wesinatl
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.5
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2014 Toyota 4 runner SR5 4WD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

ello everyone. 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 with 215k Miles. It's been mine for most of its life. Oil changes every 5k. Current oil level is good and clean with only 2k miles since last change.
I got a P1135 code a few weeks back. Using my Haynes manual I see that it is a variable valve system problem so I look it up in the index and go to the page to test the IVTC sensors (which RockAuto calls Camshaft sensors and Nissan now calls Crankshaft sensors (this recent change is very confusing)). Anyway I test and decide to replace that bank 2 IVTC sensor - drivers side, front of engine top right, facing the car). Clear codes, code comes back. So then I swap the sensors. clear codes. Code comes back as P1110 which is the same error on bank 1. So now I tap into the FSM which this code is referenced on EC-448 (for those following along in their hymnal). Guess what - These codes don't reference those sensors at all. These codes reference the IVTC system and the following sensors: crankshaft position sensor (POS and REF), camshaft sensor, engine coolant temp and speed sensor.
So my first question of many....if it's not the IVTC sensor why did the code switch banks when I swapped the sensors from one side to the other?
What should my next step be?
I have tested the actual crankshaft sensors, camshaft sensor, both IVTC sensors (or VVT or whatever you want to call them) and they all register as good. Am i going down the wrong path?
I also get a knock sensor code, but I think it might clear if I get rid of the other code. If it wasn't for the CEL I wouldn't know I have a problem. Thanks!

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

Whenever you get a code for them -- replace all three sensors. I have had three Paths ... can't explain ... the dealers do the same. The OE sensors are not very expensive bought correctly .... easy to replace. All mine needed a set as they aged

The sensors work together .. are a common thing to fail as the cars age.

wesinatl
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

replaced the cam and crankshaft sensors (pos, ref, phase) and cleared codes, ran through the drive cycles and now have the same problem. Any ideas before I send it to the dealer? Seems replacing the sensors was a waste of money.

wesinatl
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

Ended up taking the truck to Nissan for diagnosis. Nissan says it is the VVT Solenoid on bank 2.

Note that this code is for bank 1. I swapped the sensors early on to see what would happen. Swapped them back before taking to dealer. Why the code followed the sensor I don't know. That doesn't make any sense. And why the system didn't present a code for the Solenoid I don't know either. Nissan wanted $628 to install a new one. I declined and ordered one from RockAuto. I will update once it is installed.

wesinatl
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

Replaced Solenoid. Cleared Codes. Codes came back on 2nd drive cycle. Taking back to Nissan this weekend.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

Did you read my post ..... how much have you spent with the dealer ?

My guess more than the cost of the three sensors

wesinatl
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

Hi Yeldogt - I did replace the sensors based on your advice. That is in my post from Aug 20. All 3 sensors tested good, but on your advice I replaced them anyway. Cleared codes. Drove car. Same errors. Dealer diagnostic is $90. They are doing the next one for free although I question the quality of their work.

I have also had the oil changed. Replaced the VVT bank 2 sensor and now the bank 2 solenoid. My intention in taking the car to the dealer was to stop throwing good money after bad...that didnt help. I know have a solenoid it appears I didnet need. Its very frustrating.

wesinatl
2007 Honda Pilot FWD
2019 Toyota 4 runner SR5

If you are reading and following along. Replacing those sensors did nothing to help and neither did going to the dealer...twice. The nissan dealer couldn't solve the problem either. They gave me two incorrect solutions and said the whole thing would be a band aid on a open wound. Someone said their dealer recommended driving the car on the highway at highway speeds for an hour, which i did. Still no fix. Ended up getting another camshaft sensor from the junkyard. That fixed it. $6 used sensor solved all these problems. I guess the first sensor I got from RA was a piece of crap.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”