P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
redneck truck
Car: 93 hardbody, MT ka24e regcab XE

I was digging through google looking for info on error code P0500, and came across a TSB for the 98 frontier ka24de manual ...however, to access the information about the bulletin, i had to be a member. not sure what the site is, but that is irrelevant. i've read in other places that replacing the sensor doesn't necessarily fix the problem, so i'm checking on here to see if anyone has encountered a similar problem. a little background: bought the truck less than 2 weeks ago, and it hesitates as though the timing suddenly retards, like, say, from knock. however, no error codes were present when i got the truck inspected 3 days ago. only then did the check engine light come on. so what do yall think? i've replaced the spark plugs, cap, rotor, and fuel filter so far ...i'm tired of throwing parts at it that obviously don't do anything, and plug wires are $73, so i'll be skipping that too. anyway, sorry for the novel. let me know. thanks!

- Bryan

NISTECH

Sounds like a unified meter problem. This is part of your instrument cluster. It has been know to cuase run problems like your experiancing and throw that code. Does any of your guages go dead when this problem occurs. Also do you have the TSB number I can look it up for you if you like.

marchello13
Car: Nissan Altima 2000

I have Nissan Altima 2000, 79000 miles. Error code P0500, all gages go down when it is hot outside(after 5 - 8 miles ride). It looks like unified meter causes this malfunction(according your post). Could you please tell me more precisely where this unified meter is located and how to replace it? Is it possible to perform this operation at home?

Thanks at advance,Mark

NISTECH

The unified meter problem isnt all that common on the altima. It is usually seen on the xterra and frontier. In your case you should maybe look for a poor ground or power supply to the instrument cluster. It could be a unified meter but not the first thing I would look at on an altima.

chemao
Car: 2019 Tesla Model 3 - preordered
1997V2 AM General H1 with 6.6L Duramax (LML) running biodiesel swap
2015 Lexus CT200H
2003 Hummer H2 with 6.5L Detroit Turbodiesel swap

Did you ever post a possible solution to this problem I have a similar problem in that my truck's gauges give strange readings sometimes. Other times all is fine. Please help!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”