P0306 Help

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Chunkology
Car: 93 Nissan 240SX S13
04 Nissan 350Z
05 Infiniti G35

Good evening, I have P0306! To start off I have checked that cylinder 6 is NOT getting spark, I do have power and continuity with ground. I'm struggling to test signal. I have probed #79 on the connector to the ecu and to GRY/RD wire on the plug wire for cylinder 6, with that being said I got open/short from my meter. I tried this for #4 got the same results, am i missing something?

Cylinder 6 has 160psi, coil has been swapped and tested in my G with no issues as well as injector.
Thanks for the help

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you're getting an open for a good cylinder then you can't be checking the right pins. Make sure you're reading the diagrams correctly, single outline means you're looking at the connector face, double means you're looking at the back side where the wires enter. To make sure the pin-fit is also good, use an 0.024~0.026" safety pin or piece of music wire to probe the ECM connector from the face. It should resist slightly when you insert and remove it, if there's no resistance then the spring in the female terminal is weak or broken.

To clarify, open and short are diametrically opposite concepts. Open is "OL" on most meters and means 0% contact (infinite resistance), short is 0.00 on the meter and means 100% contact (no resistance). Short is only a problem if it represents continuity to the wrong place. The coil trigger wire should show "short" between the ECM pin and the coil trigger pin, that means there's continuity. It should not show "short" to the chassis or the ignition circuit, that means broken insulation and an actual short circuit. To properly check all aspects of the trigger circuit, it should show:

1) continuity, less than 1 ohm from the ECM connector to the coil connector
2 ) good pin-fit at both ends
3) OL between the trigger wire and ground wire at the coil connector
4) OL or at least 5K ohms between the trigger wire and 12V wire at the coil connector

When using an ohmmeter, always make sure all connectors in the circuit (in this case both the coil and ECM connectors) are unhooked. Ohming on an ECU driver circuit can blow up your very expensive ECU.

Chunkology
04 Nissan 350Z
05 Infiniti G35

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 am
If you're getting an open for a good cylinder then you can't be checking the right pins. Make sure you're reading the diagrams correctly, single outline means you're looking at the connector face, double means you're looking at the back side where the wires enter. To make sure the pin-fit is also good, use an 0.024~0.026" safety pin or piece of music wire to probe the ECM connector from the face. It should resist slightly when you insert and remove it, if there's no resistance then the spring in the female terminal is weak or broken.

To clarify, open and short are diametrically opposite concepts. Open is "OL" on most meters and means 0% contact (infinite resistance), short is 0.00 on the meter and means 100% contact (no resistance). Short is only a problem if it represents continuity to the wrong place. The coil trigger wire should show "short" between the ECM pin and the coil trigger pin, that means there's continuity. It should not show "short" to the chassis or the ignition circuit, that means broken insulation and an actual short circuit. To properly check all aspects of the trigger circuit, it should show:

1) continuity, less than 1 ohm from the ECM connector to the coil connector
2 ) good pin-fit at both ends
3) OL between the trigger wire and ground wire at the coil connector
4) OL or at least 5K ohms between the trigger wire and 12V wire at the coil connector

When using an ohmmeter, always make sure all connectors in the circuit (in this case both the coil and ECM connectors) are unhooked. Ohming on an ECU driver circuit can blow up your very expensive ECU.
Thank you for the the info. I found I wasn't in the right spot, I have a spare harness and pulled the plastic back off and verified. When I get home after work I will repeat test on car and report back.

Chunkology
04 Nissan 350Z
05 Infiniti G35

Also I was testing with a new meter and could have mixed terms up. I have a curien n2 neuron.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”