P0175 & P0174 system too rich/ to Lean bank 2

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
palmdizzo
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

I keep getting P0174 & P0175, I see there are lots of possibilities on why I get them. When I restart the codes they stay off until I turn the vehicle off and on again drive about 5-10 mins and comes back on. Don’t notice any issues while driving, maybe a little rougher idle however hardly noticeable. Just hoping to hear if anyone has any insight to this. Thanks and any opinions are appreciated

P0175 - system too rich bank 2

P0174 - system too lean bank 2 ( this code comes up more often)

2003 Pathfinder 3.5L 245,000 Kms

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Look in the FSM EC section beginning on page 304 https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder ... der/ec.pdf

Bank 2 is the driver's side of the vehicle. Check for intake (vacuum) system leaks, Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors and exhaust gas leaks.

Could be a dirty fuel filter causing low fuel pressure
Also try cleaning the MAFS sensor and could try some fuel injector cleaner.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

It is your driver side upstream O2 sensor that is detecting these faults. Too rich and too lean detected by the same sensor is odd. Since the most common cause of these type of faults if a dirty MAF sensor or worn out O2 sensor, I would start with all that 04pathse suggested and test of replace the O2 sensors. If you have all original O2 sensors currently installed, they are due for replacement anyways, given the distance driven you have on your '03

palmdizzo

appreciate the input, i have changed the Mass airflow sensor and the 02 sensors were my next step however i still suspect i have a leak in intake somewhere just dont have the tools or equipment to find out, any tricks to find a leak in the intake? the intake tube seems fine and as with the connection to my intake manifold

cheers!

palmdizzo

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:54 am
It is your driver side upstream O2 sensor that is detecting these faults. Too rich and too lean detected by the same sensor is odd. Since the most common cause of these type of faults if a dirty MAF sensor or worn out O2 sensor, I would start with all that 04pathse suggested and test of replace the O2 sensors. If you have all original O2 sensors currently installed, they are due for replacement anyways, given the distance driven you have on your '03
iam going to order these from Rock Auto. i think i got it correctly lol

NTK 24406 {#226A15W900} Info
Downstream Left; Bank 2 Sensor 2; OE MFR: NTK

NTK 24400 {#226915W900} Info
Upstream Left; Bank 2 Sensor 1; OE MFR: NTK

mdmellott

No real tricks I know of, just following up on symptoms. With an intake manifold leak you would have other serious symptoms aside from the P0175 and P0174 codes. A vacuum hose leak, which there are many to look at, would also likely cause other symptoms and possibly other fault codes. Does your Pathfinder seem to be running well and idling smooth or is it losing power when driving and idling rough? Both of these symptoms could be a sign of a vacuum leak. Look over all the vacuum tubes for brittle cracks if that's case. As for the O2 sensors, they can be tested by back probing the electrical connector with a digital volt meter while the engine is running to check for proper voltage outputs.

palmdizzo

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:54 pm
No real tricks I know of, just following up on symptoms. With an intake manifold leak you would have other serious symptoms aside from the P0175 and P0174 codes. A vacuum hose leak, which there are many to look at, would also likely cause other symptoms and possibly other fault codes. Does your Pathfinder seem to be running well and idling smooth or is it losing power when driving and idling rough? Both of these symptoms could be a sign of a vacuum leak. Look over all the vacuum tubes for brittle cracks if that's case. As for the O2 sensors, they can be tested by back probing the electrical connector with a digital volt meter while the engine is running to check for proper voltage outputs.
seems like everything runs fine, starts great, just drove it 200 miles with no issues. if anything maybe a little bit of a rough idle however hardly noticeable,maybe fuel economy is down a little too

mdmellott

You might have to clear the fault codes with a scan tool, or hack method like I had to after I replaced my O2 sensors, because Nissan made our Pathfinders to hold onto some fault codes and flash the check engine light even after the problem was fixed. Here's the hack method to clear the fault codes if you do not have a scan tool to delete them. Note: The timing of the following sequence is critical. This may seem strange but it works.
1. Turn the ignition key to the On position and wait 3 seconds.
2. Then press and release the accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
3. Wait 7 seconds then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for approximately 10 seconds until the check engine light starts blinking.
4. Release the accelerator pedal while the check engine light is blinking.
5. Wait 10 seconds then press and hold down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds.
6. Release the accelerator pedal (the check engine light will still be blinking) then turn the ignition key to Off.
If you did all this within the time frames indicated, your fault codes will now be cleared. If not, try it again. It took me three times to get it right. One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi ... didn't work for me so I used a stop watch with success on my third attempt. I bought a scan tool later on for other reasons and I wrote down this system hack on a note card and stuffed it in my repair manual years ago just so that I could share it with you now. :dblthumb:

palmdizzo

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:22 pm
You might have to clear the fault codes with a scan tool, or hack method like I had to after I replaced my O2 sensors, because Nissan made our Pathfinders to hold onto some fault codes and flash the check engine light even after the problem was fixed. Here's the hack method to clear the fault codes if you do not have a scan tool to delete them. Note: The timing of the following sequence is critical. This may seem strange but it works.
1. Turn the ignition key to the On position and wait 3 seconds.
2. Then press and release the accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
3. Wait 7 seconds then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for approximately 10 seconds until the check engine light starts blinking.
4. Release the accelerator pedal while the check engine light is blinking.
5. Wait 10 seconds then press and hold down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds.
6. Release the accelerator pedal (the check engine light will still be blinking) then turn the ignition key to Off.
If you did all this within the time frames indicated, your fault codes will now be cleared. If not, try it again. It took me three times to get it right. One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi ... didn't work for me so I used a stop watch with success on my third attempt. I bought a scan tool later on for other reasons and I wrote down this system hack on a note card and stuffed it in my repair manual years ago just so that I could share it with you now. :dblthumb:
i hvae a Blue driver scan tool. works great

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”