p0011 & p0021

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
nick3501

disclaimer this is for a frontier with a vq40 4.0, but mechanically they are the same and i feel the pathfinder forum gets more love.

just got this truck and I'm trying to get it inspected. these two codes pop up immediately after I clear them at the same time. Here's what I've done.

I removed the solenoids and checked for debris. actuated them manually by applying 12 volts and they seem to move freely. also checked the resistance and it was 7 ohms which is within specification. clean them out with some throttle body cleaner.

I changed the oil and filter and that made no difference.

I have not checked the oil pressure manually but the dummy gauge on the dash comes up to the center point.

I disconnected both sensors and I got new codes relating to the circuit so I know it's not a wiring issue.

here's where I'm at. lots of the 3.5 s seem to have an issue with the gasket behind the timing cover leaking and bleeding off oil pressure causing these VCT solenoids to not operate properly, however I cannot find any evidence that this effects the 4.0 vq40.

another form post mentioned the timing could be jumped a tooth. we have a government inspection program that lets maybe view the history of the vehicle and I can tell at this code did not exist and it passed inspection 2 years ago. timing components have not been touched since then. also there's no noise rattle wine clatter or otherwise from the timing cover.

I'm not sure about the clutch, but I did read that some people were reinstalling the flywheel incorrectly causing a timing issue as the marks need to line up. these two codes are the result (p0011 and p0021) any tips on how to check if the timing marks on the flywheel are lined up properly without removing the transmission? is there something electrical I can test? I don't believe the clutch was replaced in the past couple years.

thanks for any input guys

DenisMcG
Car: 2009 Infiniti FX50

Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor? I believe it is a part of the vvt circuit as well.

PathyPop
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

My first posts three years ago were with my son's 03 having these codes related to the VVT solenoid. You can read what I did or, to cut to the chase, I removed both solenoids and applied ~30 psi compressed air into the oil journals that feed into the solenoids. Immediately after reinstalling the solenoids it's ran perfectly since. My thinking is that sludge or gasket material can easily block those small journals and restrict flow, so the compressed air back-flushed the junk out or through. Caution though, have a rag ready as air in one hole will cause oil to squirt and spray out other holes. Good luck -

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”