P0011 code

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Getting ready to sell my 2012 Versa 1.6L sedan and wouldn't ya know it it throws a code. P0011 shows Variable valve trouble. Took both VVT's off and cleaned then. Not really dirty and both engage when I hit them with 12 volts. Oil full and I changed it with fresh synthetic. My bud is a Nissan tech and he suggested maybe the cam shaft sensors had crud on them. Well I broke the top off the front sensor and installed a new one. The old one had some silver metal dust attached to it. Not bad. Was going to wait before pulling the other one as I need the car for the weekend and don't want to risk breaking that one and being SOL.
Followed the Nissan service manual but since I don't have Consult I'm pretty must in manual test, clean or replace. It says the crank sensor is a possibility but I thought I'd ask before throwing more parts at it. Car has no drivability problems besides the MIL light. Any ideas? Thanks


User avatar
Rogue One
Moderator
Posts: 8438
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 pm
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
Location: Florida, USA

Re: P0011 code

Postby Rogue One » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 pm

P0021 P0011 NISSAN INFINITI Intake Valve Timing Control
2016 Versa wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:30 pm
Here's video that might be helpful.


59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

Re: P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:51 pm

VVT unit wasn't too sludged up and it cleaned up after some brake cleaner blasts. Has just had oil changed. I run synthetic. Would you do a motor flush and oil change? I have plenty of oil.

59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

Re: P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Rechecked the VVT with my Ohm meter like I should've in the first place. Needs to be 6.6-7.5 Ohms and mine said 1.5. Back one was at 7.5 so it looks like even though putting 12 volts to the solenoid makes it engage and the shaft move, the lower reading means it would be operating at reduced capacity and threw a code. Probably was working good enough that I didn't have a drivability issue but eventually the solenoid would fail and make it run bad. Looks like a new one will fix it.

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: P0011 code

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Hopefully the ECM driver isn't blown, that 1.5 ohms equates to 9.3 amps @ 14V, which is pretty close to the limit for the internal MOSFETs. They don't have short-circuit/overload protection. So if you change out the solenoid and the code is still present, check voltage on the drive side of the solenoid with the IVT active. You should see "middle" voltages. If it stays at or near the power rail voltage, the ECM is cooked.

59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

Re: P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:18 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Hopefully the ECM driver isn't blown, that 1.5 ohms equates to 9.3 amps @ 14V, which is pretty close to the limit for the internal MOSFETs. They don't have short-circuit/overload protection. So if you change out the solenoid and the code is still present, check voltage on the drive side of the solenoid with the IVT active. You should see "middle" voltages. If it stays at or near the power rail voltage, the ECM is cooked.
Wouldn't there be less amp draw with the lower Ohm of 1.5 vs. say 10-11 Ohms (resistance)? I was never good at math.

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: P0011 code

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm

59bucksnort wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Wouldn't there be less amp draw with the lower Ohm of 1.5 vs. say 10-11 Ohms (resistance)? I was never good at math.
No. I'll use V for voltage, A for current, R for resistance instead of the engineering E, I and R. Ohm's Law says:

V = A x R
A = V / R
R = V / A

We're solving for current A, so 14 V /1.5 R = 9.33 amps. It's supposed to be about 6.5 ohms, so when healthy, 14 V / 6.5 R = 2.15 amps.

59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

Re: P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:55 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm
59bucksnort wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Wouldn't there be less amp draw with the lower Ohm of 1.5 vs. say 10-11 Ohms (resistance)? I was never good at math.
No. I'll use V for voltage, A for current, R for resistance instead of the engineering E, I and R. Ohm's Law says:

V = A x R
A = V / R
R = V / A

We're solving for current A, so 14 V /1.5 R = 9.33 amps. It's supposed to be about 6.5 ohms, so when healthy, 14 V / 6.5 R = 2.15 amps.
Got it. Electrical math is even worse for me. Crossing my fingers the new VVT will work and the ECM is still a happy camper. I read back on your ground issue postings. I think I'm going to add an extra ground strap on my Xterra before problems start up. I installed a grounding kit years ago on a club members X.
That and cleaning what ground contacts I do have. My X goes thru mud and it forded the Rio Grande river. With all the electronics today electrical problems are the big gremlins. My Xterra group routinely goes thru BCMs and ECMs when they add crap to bling it out.

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: P0011 code

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Speaking of ECM's, on an Xterra, worry as much about the hot battery terminal as the ground bus. The ECM location and wiring are almost identical to the Frontier, and when it comes to hidden corrosion of the terminals, what you can't see can hurt you:

topic628155.html

59bucksnort
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan
2008 Nissan Versa HB
2008 Nissan Xterra

Re: P0011 code

Postby 59bucksnort » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:22 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 pm
Speaking of ECM's, on an Xterra, worry as much about the hot battery terminal as the ground bus. The ECM location and wiring are almost identical to the Frontier, and when it comes to hidden corrosion of the terminals, what you can't see can hurt you:

topic628155.html
I read that post too. I've heard of people that had that problem. I keep up on mine and have upgraded my battery terminal to a full brass HD marine type terminal. I have a spare battery fuse terminal I carry around with me just in case. Heard many that blew that too. Pretty much melts down into goo.it helps my friend is a master tech at a Nissan dealer and warns me what not to do. I just wish he could bring his Consult home with him. My new neighbor is a traveling service guy for Ford and he told me he can upgrade his scanner next week for Nissan so he can scan it for me if things don't go as planned.

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: P0011 code

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 pm

59bucksnort wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:22 pm
I keep up on mine and have upgraded my battery terminal to a full brass HD marine type terminal. I have a spare battery fuse terminal I carry around with me just in case.
Wise indeed. :dblthumb:


Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”