Overheating shuddering Nissan Quest SE 2004

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
frankdrogotto
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest

Hello All,

Our 2004 Nissan Quest SE 2004 with 88K miles has overheated three times now when the outside temperature was around 95 degrees and the AC is on. What should I check next?

Observations and work performed:
-- AC starts to blow warm air after car reaches normal temperature
------> Mechanic replaced 'rusted out' coolant line. $300
-- Overheating began after this step and coolant level in reservoir was well below normal. Car shudders when temp rises one notch above mid level on the temperature dial.
-- Coolant added to Max level, but overheating starts when AC is turned on.
-- No overheating when idle, or driving in 75 degrees or cooler weather. Temperature dial goes to and stays at the normal (center) mark.
------> Mechanic replaced radiator ... said it was leaking. $350
-- Drove normal for 90 miles in 80 degree weather. Coolant level in reservoir is normal.

-- After 2 weeks of leaving the car parked without starting, the coolant reservoir does not show any coolant; about a quart of coolant added.
-- Overheating happened after driving about 6 miles and outside temperature is high (90 or higher) and AC is on; the temperature dial moved 1-2 notches past normal center mark. The vehicle shuddered and hesitated. Once AC is off, and I let the car cool down 5 minutes, it drove normally with no shaking or shuddering for 100 miles.

-- Both fans in the manifold in front of radiator turn ok and do not show any bad symptoms. No hesitation or resistance in their rotation.
-- I ordered a new air filter just to be sure.

What would you recommend I try next?

Thanks!!!!
Frank.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The fact that it never overheats at idle means the fans can't be the culprit, nor can the A/C. With a new radiator, that can't be it either. It has to be reduced coolant flow that's occurring intermittently, and only two things come to mind. One is a lower hose that's collapsed internally and is closing up from the additional pump suction at highway speed. Second is a thermostat that's lost some wax and is opening but not fully, allowing enough flow to keep it cool at idle but not on the highway. Either could cause the kind of "hit or miss" overheating you describe.

frankdrogotto
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest

So after further analysis, and although the radiator fans seemed to run fine, it turns out that the fan motors were no longer able to reach a fast-enough operating speed to sufficiently cool off the system when the weather is very hot and AC is on. Inside of the main fan motor the carbon dust is thick and the carbon brushes are well worn out.

I replaced the whole fan assembly ($75 aftermarket part)
Later replaced key system parts as preventative measure ($200 for all Nissan OEM parts)
  • Thermostat, with housing and gasket
    Water pump
    Lower radiator hose
    Radiator cap
    Nissan long life blue coolant
    MAF sensor
    Air filter (FRAM)

All in all, with the new radiator, it's a $1000 overhaul job (parts and labor) but the elegant lady is back in good condition.

chefnee
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest SE

WOW! I had something similar. It started with the radiator. My brother had an issue while driving my van. When he was waiting at the light, the car would over heat. Turns out that I forgot to plug back the fans. The fix was free. Then then AC wouldn't wouldn't go pass the first speed. Anything afterwards would kill the air blower motor. I tried after market blower motor resistor, but it wouldn't achieve maximum speed. I had to use OEM, which allowed me to get max speed. ($60). Then the van would overheat, and found out that the coolant was leaking. I couldn't find where it was leaking, but only found puddles the next morning. It turns out I had a pin-hole leak. I replace the radiator ($200 aftermarket). Total, including coolant, $350. The radiator job took 1.5 hour. It's a good learning experience.

Return to “Quest Forum”