Overheating engine (2004 G35)

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
max02!
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan A/T

I have a 2004 G35 sedan with automatic transmission. Just recently it started running hot. Reading the actual coolant temperature with an ODBII reader it is getting upwards of 230F. The temperature gauge needle is getting close the H zone. You have to drive with the heat on to keep it cool. I've changed the coolant and also ran a Prestone radiator flush through the system. I also replaced the thermostat and gasket (with one from the dealer). I also had to replace the bleeder port because I broke it (why do they use plastic for high temperature applications??). I also checked the motor driven cooling fan and the crankshaft fan and both are turning. Before I admit defeat and take it to a shop, does anyone have any additional suggestions I should check?

If I take it to a shop, I'm going to have them remove the radiator and service it. I think they do that with a chemical bath but I'm not sure.

Car has 158k on it.

Thanks in advance.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I doubt they'll try to service an '04 radiator, chances are they'll recommend replacing it. Before assuming it's the radiator, make sure you don't have any soft spots in your lower hose that might be allowing the hose to collapse.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

max02! wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:31 pm
I have a 2004 G35 sedan with automatic transmission. Just recently it started running hot. Reading the actual coolant temperature with an ODBII reader it is getting upwards of 230F. The temperature gauge needle is getting close the H zone. You have to drive with the heat on to keep it cool. I've changed the coolant and also ran a Prestone radiator flush through the system. I also replaced the thermostat and gasket (with one from the dealer). I also had to replace the bleeder port because I broke it (why do they use plastic for high temperature applications??). I also checked the motor driven cooling fan and the crankshaft fan and both are turning. Before I admit defeat and take it to a shop, does anyone have any additional suggestions I should check?

If I take it to a shop, I'm going to have them remove the radiator and service it. I think they do that with a chemical bath but I'm not sure.

Car has 158k on it.

Thanks in advance.
If you haven't replaced your radiator cap, do so
Pressure test your cooling system.
You may have air in your cooling system?
Follow the troubleshooting steps and checklist in the FSM

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”