Overheating/ Brake Light

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Txiko

Hi:
Driving the car and with no notice, the AC started to blow hot air, the Brake light came on, and the steering wheel really hard to move. The coolant was coming out of the coolant container. After the car was cool, it starts with no problem but the serpentine belt is not turning (I can turn it with my hands without problem). Any idea of what the problem can be?
Thanks

macgiver

mac,Welcome , welcome to nico ,step right up 10 cents admission :squint: My two cents , that there is very little to go on as far as background info , car, make model yr. ......... much help here though ..give us a little more - you'll get it. :yesnod Offhand - your saying your belts went bad ? Only ONE serpentine belt ? A frozen pulley ?? That would "almost" account for everything ? A/C cluch seized- long enough to result in your
"situation" ? :tisk: But see if water pump pulley spins "normally" ?? AND with A/C OFF- if normal serpentine belt operation ???
Now , brake Lt. ?, like in that Kinks song - "You really got me,really got me" :confused:

Txiko

Hi and thanks for your response.
It is only one belt and it is ok, not turning I can turn the belt by hand very easy. I was thinking that the alternator seized due to the light Brake been on as well the battery when the problem occurred. I do not know hi to check the A/C clutch and where is the water pump pulley located?
Thanks
PS: It is an ALTIMA 05

macgiver

mac, Alright , now you suspect the Alternator , where a light will illuminate too, yeah. You may have someone "pull" on the belt tensioner - allowing freedom from tension , so as not to fully have to remove the belt(best to remove though) and NOW - hand twist EVERY pulley, to see which one is the culprit ! Chalk mark it and get it fixed ?? :yesnod

Txiko

Thanks Mac, I will do that tomorrow afternoon after work and I will let you know.
Thanks again

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the belt can be moved by hand then likely the tensioner has broken or a pulley has died to completely come apart to free the belt up. Belt may now be bad too from excess skidding to remove material from it.

The a/c, steering, and overheat issues all came from belt not pulling.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”