Overfilled tranny = whining noise?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
NismoDan
Car: '91 Coupe

So a while ago I came here with a tranny problem on my '94.

Since then I've gotten that fixed (lots o' $ later!!), but now my tranny AGAIN is acting up.The AT check light flashes on startup, but the delf-diagnostic comes out clean (all 11 bleeps are the same, which is supposed to mean that all of the circuits that the self-diagnostic can check are ok).

So the only symptoms are the light coming on and this weird whining noise coming from the shifter INSIDE the car.

I checked the fluid level and it seems excessively high...could that be it?

Thanks for any and all help...this car is turning into a minor headache.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Are you feeling an heat radiating from around the shifter as well on the tunnel. Its one of the signs of an overfilled J30 tranny along with sluggish shifting.

NismoDan

Dang, I havent really noticed any heat around the shifter or from the tunnel....just that damn noise.

Well, that may be because I only drive like 5 miles at a time (living in San Francisco).

If it's not an over-filled tranny, its something more serious...

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

are you sure its coming from the trans?

NismoDan

Well, new problem time.I was in a drive-thru today and heard this HIDEOUS belt-screeching noise coming from somewhere under the hood.And then at a stop light a few minutes later my revs went to like 100 and a gross smell developed.

After a few minutes the smell went away and didnt come back, but that can't be a good sign.

I'm pretty sure it's the tranny, as the engine sounds fine when i rev in neutral, but in gear these thigns start popping up.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”