Outside noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jasper24

How is your Rogue for outside noise? wind, ect.....

Just got my GG AWD prem- 4 days ago

I have to say that I have more noise inside the cab than my old Suburban--- Is this normal?

I don't have any wind noise from the windows-- but It does seem to have more road/wind noise coming from the hatch area.

I know I have the Bose system- but I dont want to have to crank it up- just to cover the noise.

vox
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I noticed this recently when relegated to the back seat during a short trip. It was raining outside and louder than I expected. I actually thought maybe the hatch wasn't shut.

Not sure of the cause though.

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

Mine is quiet, and I haven't heard any noises. Though I would be hard pressed not to be the one driving my own car

I haven't had any squeaking from the shifter either, perhaps I just play my music too loud.

jasper24

vox wrote:I noticed this recently when relegated to the back seat during a short trip. It was raining outside and louder than I expected. I actually thought maybe the hatch wasn't shut.
Yep thats what I'm talking about

makes it sound like the seal to the hatch is not a tight seal....

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I have not noted any noise. I'll try to tune into what you are describing and see if I notice anything.

No squeaks from the shifter either, I have occasionally heard a very brief slight rattle that sounds like one of the front dash speakers vibrating but as soon as I hear it seems to stop, so I rate it as insignificant for now.

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

On a rainy day you hear some road noise more than on a dry day. But all in all IMO the Rogue is much quieter than my 2005 Maxima ever was.

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I have a rattle coming from the rear area also and I can't find anything that's loose. It will be going back to figure this out. Not to mention my bluetooth isn't working either.

jlsatt00

For the rattle in the rear, have you made sure the middle seat belt (the on in the roof of the car) is secured in place? I had a rattle and it went away when I secured the buckle!

tw34k
Car: 2007 350Z Enthusiast - Solar Orange***2008 Rogue SL-FWD ( NOT Rouge ) First Rogue Sold in Tacoma /

My wife called me today at work and ask me if I had ever noticed a rattleing sound whenever I turn left or right...It's been bugging her for the last few days.

Turns out I had an unsecured ink pen in the cavernous glove box that was free to run wild.

jasper24

Ok now it seems to be getting louder--- -it sounds like the back hatch is open-- or is constructed out of paper thin metal..

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

You guys all have great imaginations

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Not quite enough sound dampening in the rear as you find out when driving in the rain or on gravel. Still have a rattle to and it's not the seat belt.

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

I heard a slight rattle in my rear cargo area. I had retracted that silly center seat belt to the roof and thought it was making the noise but it turns out the framwork for the cargo area cover shimmys in the center making a very slight metallic rattle sound. I never did remove the blue suran wrap looking protective film from it either and shall do that this weekend.

jasper24

Ok-- Now that I have drove in the rain for the 1st time in my Rogue--- I can really hear the noise from the back hatch area--- I swear it sounds like the back hatch is open-- Luckily I have the Bose -- because this is driving me nuts.

I have no idea how to fix this-- I guess Im going back to the dealer.

I just want to know if this is common issue.

Ticmxman

I don't have the problem and due to the limited responce in this topic you may have a isolated problem in your Rogue. Let the dealer look at it, maybe you could drive another Rogue while your at the dealer to see if you hear the noise in a different Rogue. Good luck.

vox
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have the same thing but don't really notice unless driving in rain or snow. It does seem unusually loud then.

jasper24

Ok-- So I finally went to the dealership to see if I could get this problem addresses..... I had 2 techs take my rogue for a drive. Both of them heard it and thought it was a bit much as well..

So for a control -- we all took a drive in a new Rogue on the lot--- and low and behold----- same noise

Not much the dealer can do if they all make that noise (kindo like the back hatch not completely closed -- sound)

One tech thought it sounds like the noise was coming from the wheel area- instead of the back hatch

I guess I will just turn up the Bose-- until more people have this issue and if there is ever a fix for it.

Btw whats the best way to go about complaining to Nissan about this issue- so it gets noted?

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

First off, try to see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from. Remove the cargo cover, the 3 section compartment that sits over the spare, the tire tools/jack, and anything else you can think of. Take a drive and see if you still have the rattle. 9 out of 10 times the rattle comes from something that is not permanently attached to the car.

I personally have not heard any rattles, but if I did, I would be taking everything out to see if I can isolate it..

jasper24

I'm sorry If i did not make it clear-- its not a rattle noise--

Its outside road noise-- that make sit sound like the back hatch is partly open.

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

jasper24 wrote:I'm sorry If i did not make it clear-- its not a rattle noise--

Its outside road noise-- that make sit sound like the back hatch is partly open.
Oh sorry, guess I missed that. I haven't had the proble either. The only noise I hear is tire noise when going over not so smooth surfaces.

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

Picked up my Gotham Gray SL with AWD. Before signing the paperwork I test drove the car and heard this noise coming from the outside. I agree it sounds like the back hatch is open or not sealed. I didn't remember hearing this in another one I drove before getting this one from another dealer. Is it possible that some sound deading material could help in the spare tire area? I am going to try it. It really bugs me. I asked the dealer about it, they said it might be the tires. I should have looked at the what kind of tires that the other Rouge had on it. I wonder if people with Dunlop don't have this problem.
Modified by rrs26ja at 8:49 AM 12/23/2007

Rougeee

Road noise from rear hatch area on wet pavement also noted here, Does seem like hatch seal not right. Will be mentioning to dealer . Can't believe they are not aware of this issue.

Ticmxman

It seems that some Rogues may have this issue and some may not. I have not noticed this issue in mine. Now my previous CRV they had a lot of noise in the rear cargo area.

jasper24

Please inform us, if your dealer can get it fixed. I sent an email to Nissan about this issue. All I can say is when test driving-- drive the Rogue (the one you want to buy) over a wet road- and see if it drives you nuts like it does me....

bdsakx
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe, 2.5S Crimson Black

I get road noise quite a bit too, but it depends on the road texture. If I drive on the new section of the highway, it sounds and feels smooth. On older roads where the pavement is grainier, the louder the noise becomes. Roads in Dallas aren't particularly good.

I also got my tires checked yesterday and nitrogen refilled. I've noticed I'm picking up more noise (probably due to the firmer tire pressure - and I can feel the road texture more too)).

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

My Vibe also sounded this way and it was especially bad in the wet weather. I hear it a bit in the Rogue but since my Vibe was that way, I pay no attention to it. I think its just the nature of having a hatch.

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

Like Cristen, mine is also louder in wet weather, But I can hear it anytime. I really think that there must be a difference on how some of these were built. My dealer said there is sound deading material in the rear panels and wheel wells behide the plastic. Maybe Nissan did this in some and not others. I was also wondering if there was a difference in tires My wife says turn tthe radio up, this is driving me nuts, I am thinking about removing the inside plastic pieces and and spare tire area and inserting some sound material

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

Could be tires too - my OEM Continentals are very quiet, but my Toyo Winter tires are much louder.

alsaynor
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

Have only had my rogue for two weeks and both my wife and I notice the wind noise coming from the rear hatch the first week we had it. The first passenger in the back we had we asked if they heard it and she thought the rear hatch sounded like it was open. Definetly a problem Nissan needs to work on.

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

Do the folks with"wind" noise have the spoiler?

I have rear carpet so Mine is quiet as a kitten since I changed out those noisy Dunlops ( They actually howled like a banshee at 60 to 62 miles per hour) for General Alitax HP tires.. My probelm solved.

heavy rain still pounds the roof like a drum though..

Return to “Rogue Forum”