Outline of pinstripes after removal

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
JJM158
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 S

I had pinstripes removed as they were not my taste and doing so I noticed an outline of where they were, picture for visual:https://ibb.co/tbKC9yz. The surrounding clearcoat is faded and the clear underneath the pinstripe is darker, so I would assume 2 step polishing would cut down the old faded clearcoat to the level that was under the pinstripe. Sorry if not explained properly. Maybe went sand with fine grit then polish?

Tobiascolins
Car: 2007 Infiniti m35x

The right way would be to use a buffer or take it to a body shop and have them buff it. Hand buffing won't be effective enough.

Chunjee
Car: Infiniti M45

I believe a 2 step machine polish would help significantly.

Tobiascolins

The polish may help a bit but the fading the sun causes may be too much of a difference from the shiny surface that was under the stripe. I worked as a painter for a long time. I would definitely get it properly buffed and while they do that you might as well have them do the whole car. It'll freshen up the paint. Buffing will achieve a much higher gloss than hand rubbing a two stage polish. The $20 you spend on that polish could be put towards a proper buffing job. They may want $150 or something to do it but it'll be done correctly.

JJM158

I would machine polish sorry didn't mean by hand that isn't realistic. I'd start with a heavy compound then finish with a final polish to restore haze and gloss

Tobiascolins

Yes, definitely.

JJM158

Any heavy cut compounds recommend. I might have to use a microfiber pad as I've tried a foam and didn't cut a good

Tobiascolins

Well I would use a high speed buffer, not a polisher. But you have to know what you're doing or you'll burn through the paint. A high speed buffer with a heavy compound. If I was you, I'd just go to a shop and ask them what they'd want to do it. You'll get a professional job done. I assume you've got a regular polishing machine. I don't think that will get the results you want but I guess you can try. Get an estimate and just pay them. You'll be happy.

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

I just got done with a “paint correction” job on my M45 (black.). I watched endless YT videos on this. I bought a cheap DA buffer on Amazon because I didn’t want to spend money if I didn’t end up liking it. While I was impressed with the results of my 12-HOUR!!!! Paint correction job, I now realize that this is one of those things better left up to a pro. I have to say that this just isn’t my thing. Hated every damn second of it.

There’s so many different opinions on everything from the products to use to the type of pads to use to the speed of the buffer to the type of buffer to the method of cleaning the car prior to everything else and the products for that cleaning.....etc. I could have just paid a pro $300 and been done with it. Considering I make around $45/hr at work and it took me 12 hours to complete, I definitely lost money on this.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Heh, a lot of the "pros" are still quite bad i've seen.

Tobiascolins

Yeah it's definitely labor intensive especially if you don't ha e the experience. Sometimes it's better to just pay someone and save all of the aggravation.

JJM158

Tobiascolins wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:13 pm
Yeah it's definitely labor intensive especially if you don't ha e the experience. Sometimes it's better to just pay someone and save all of the aggravation.
I actually find it satisfying and am patient so doesn't bother me, I have to polish anyway to remove and old ceramic coat

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”