Outer cv boot clamp problem on driver’s side.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

So the larger end cv clamp had been spewing grease because obviously standing on the clamping tool didn’t do much. My dumb butt should have kept the old non split one. Now got myself a mess.

Well, I bought a tool where I can ratchet it close with a impact wrench or regular wrench.

I chose a regular wrench. But how tight is too tight? The original looked like it was squeezed to a 1 mm opening inside the band.

Presently, it looks like I’m half way there. But I’m scared I might break this band with my luck.

How strong are these Nissan oem clamps, am I okay squeezing away?

I just don’t want to have to go back in.

Also I already screwed up my inner clamps and I had to replace with hose clamps. Got 2 and tried to balance. Please don’t mention that issue, I already know them all. It got loose when I tried stretching the boot and the clamp fell off. Hence that setup.

Old oem cv clamp

New oem cv clamp I’m trying to squeeze tighter. It looks all wonky from the first tool that squeezes the side while pushing the middle down. Obviously Nissan does not use that cheap tool.

casperfun

I went ahead and used my cheapo 189ft lb impact wrench on it.

So far so good. :bigthumb:

casperfun

My high angle boot was leaking too. So I tightened it.
These aftermarket clamps were probably made in China and weren’t like the very hard metal ones like the Nissan oem, so I had to be very careful.

I just realize you shouldn’t baby your cv boots, like my ocd worried about pinching or ruining the boot if I tighten it too much.

Oh Noooooooo! Next time I won’t think that way.

The only way to prevent leaking is to use a ungodly amount of force to keep it from leaking.

By the looks of the oem outer clamp, you need a 2 ton press or weight of an elephant to get the same clamp closed like that.

Deform the cv boot clamp channels, who cares. Just crush that sucker.

The whole point is to just get the clamp as tight as possible or whatever pain your hands can endure while putting these cv clamps on.

I learned the hard way! :bang

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can always put a thin film of Gray Death on the clamping surface. Once that sets up nothing will leak ever, even if the clamp isn't super-tight.

casperfun

That must be some ase certified mechanic secret that us mere normal mortals don’t know about.

Anyways, I looked it up and I got some illegal drug. :rotfl

Back to the subject, There seems to be so many approaches out there,

From not using clamps with Rockford CV boots, not advised. To people using zip ties.

Also people use spray can straws to vent the boot from overheating or blowing out of shape.

Also read that boots should breath and sometimes a little grease may come out. I kinda don’t want to believe that. Because what can come out, then dirt and water could come in.

Anyways, that’s why I thought it doesn’t need to be super tight.

But in my case, I need super duper tight.

I almost thought about putting some glue or gasket maker near the edge, but I decided not too, because if that was the case, then it’s not tight enough. :inout:

Return to “Rogue Forum”