Ouch my new 06 G35 has wiring harness damage!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
SouthMichiganG35
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35

Hey guys, sorry to have a Oh Poor woe is me post for my 1st one here but here goes anyway...
Its my 2nd G35, had a 05 Pryor to this 06 auto sedan.
I bought it knowing it had some issues, as it wasn't starting much but did when I looked at it and drove it to home...well ok it went just about 6 miles B4 stalling.
After a tow home I got a new set of Cam & Crank position sensors, put them in and it runs now, although it takes the 2nd crank to fire up.
I had noticed the cooling fans & Temp gauge didnt work, so I replaced the Cooling temp sensor only to find....
a Torn wire harness located on the top pf the trans, just beyond the firewall, it looks like a mess and although I enjoy a good project wire harnesses are beyond my working expertise.
Yes the SLP & Traction control off lights are on as well as check engine light code P0335.
Im located in South Western Michigan, if any locals around.
Peace

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

P0335 is a flatlined crankshaft sensor, which is probably from your busted harness and not the sensor itself. It sounds like the car had at least one bad cam sensor along with the crank, causing your no-start. Now it starts on the cam sensors alone, which explains your long crank before it fires.

The top of the bellhousing is a favorite spot for rodents to gnaw, so that may be the source of your damage. Hit the whole engine box with some peppermint oil after you get it fixed, that will chase out any crittery that might be living in the fenderwells or elsewhere under the car.

Harness repair nowadays isn't the daunting problem it used to be, just get the right stuff. They're called solder-shrinks, and you can get a whole package for under $10 off eBay or Amazon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372702435860

To use them, you just strip the broken ends, slide the sleeve over one side of the broken wire, twist the broken ends together, slide the sleeve over the copper, then heat the sleeve until the solder in the middle melts. Presto, waterproof and permanent. If there isn't enough slack to twist the ends, use two shrinks and add a few inches of new wire. Those shrinks are God's gift to good wire repair, they make short work out of all sorts of wiring problems that used to need special tools and professional attention.

SouthMichiganG35
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35

Thanks much VSTASR, I replaced the Crank and the Passenger side Cam PS, todays job will be the Drivers side! As far as the damaged wires, I can barley even see or touch the wires, Im not sure how they could be gathered together to crimp them together, but I guess nobody said it would be easy....Thanks for the encouragement! Peace

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Not sure on your G (I'm a Nissan guy), but back-of-the-engine bundles on most RWD Nissans can be got at by pulling the front wheels and removing the inner fender covers.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”