orion: Hacked MAF question

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Tictakman

where can i get some 2.65 ID pipe. i ordered 2.75 and i guess you said it runs a little lean. i dont want to have to worry about that right now so any help locating a pipe would be great.

also, i tried to use a fpr like yours and im having trouble with it leaking.... did u use the stock diaphram in the adjustable fpr with the o-ring too? plus when i tighten it down i can still move the whole piece that i bolted together. would you have a better picture of yours by any chance? i didnt get any directions with mine so im kinda going by the looks of things.

thanks

Zak

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

just get some 2.75'' OD piping at a muffler shop or somewhere. thats what i got and i think it was about 2.61 ID.

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

??? ... sorry.

I used 2.75" ID with more fuel pressure to tune it to high-11 A/Fs.

And the FPR...I didn;t cut off the whole top...only the cap. That made the place where it mounts thicker and wider diameter.

And RTV sealed it up for me...

Good luck with it.

- Brian

Tictakman

i ground down the top piece a little bit so when the screws go through to the other side it will tighten better. did you use the little o ring on the aftermarket fpr with that stock diaphram?

Off hand would you also remember what fuel pressure you bumped it up to? i dont have a wideband so im going to try to be on the safe side and run rich. is there any other way of telling if it is running lean or rich?

Zak

~54psi base pressure, with vacuum line unplugged.

The "Hacked MAF" setup will be different on each car, and shouldn't be "assumed safe"...even with a 2.75" ID pipe and 54psi fuel pressure, you may still be lean...or overly rich. No way to tell unless you get it checked on a wideband.

BTW, when I blew my first motor, the A/F gauge read dead rich, but it was obviously too lean...at only ~6psi. That was before I checked with a wideband...

And I did not use the O-ring...only a heavy dose of RTV.

- Brian

Tictakman

sounds good, ill try those settings. im gonna look into getting the wideband from kade24.com. is there any reason why you took off the vaccum to the fpr? if that was off i would imagine the car wouldnt run correctly. lmk

Zak

I meant the base pressure should be set with the vacuum line unplugged...as different manifold vacuum will affect the gauge reading.

So to get it set properly, elimate one variable, and unplug the vacuum line.

Set base to whatever you're shooting for, then plug vacuum line back on.

Helps to guarantee accuracy.

You have to have it connected for the FPR to do it's job.

- Brian

Tictakman

got ya. im waiting on a stock fpr from andrave so when i get that ill see what i can do. also, would you recommend the wideband from ka24de.com or another system?

Zak

Never used the LM1...I have a TechEdge WB02 that I got used.

Works great, nice and simple.

I have no need for any of the datalogging and such, so much like my cell phone (an old StarTac)...I keep it simple.

- Brian

nsanesrt

so what kind of fpr are you runnin ..have any pics...Orion...could you run the sr rail and fpr..i dont think you can ...but i am intrested in this set up and also want to do this setup without having to actually purchase a wideband and safc...

thanks in advance

nsanesrt wrote:1) so what kind of fpr are you runnin ..

2) could you run the sr rail and fpr...

3) ...without having to actually purchase a wideband

1) It's a B&M FPR kit that's meant for a Honda Accord IIRC...you cut the top off your stock regulator, and stick this sucker on. Thing is, you have to get creative and make a bracket b/c the FPR will not fit in the stock location like this...it's too tall. You have to rotate it so it fits...

2) No. And why would you want to? There's no advantage of the SR rail over the KA rail...and the injector spacing is not a match. And, the FPRs are identical...just a simple 1:1 Nissan FPR.

3) Too bad. You'll need to either buy a wideband, or get it on the dyno and verify the A/Fs are OK for boost. If not, you'll be replacing the motor.

- Brian

Tictakman

ya go ahead and buy a wideband. i got one and it doesnt seem hard to use at all. i got the LM1 from ka24de.com

Zak

nsanesrt

yeah i have a wideband and safc on my srt-4...just tryin to keep those parts on the srt-4 and not on the other project...lol....thanks for the info orion

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”