Ordering Military Surplus Rifle

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

My buddy and I are ordering two Swiss K31 rifles, this weekend. Because they are military surplus and over 25 years old, we can order them with a Curio and Relics FFL03 license. I have heard a lot of good things about the K31 and with it being Swiss, I can imagine that the quality is pretty good. I think the other thing that is appealing is that the name of the Swiss citizen the rilfe was issued to, is put on a paper in the buttstock. So I am curious to see if the paper is still there. It would be nice to have someone to connect to rifle to in Switzerland.

Now I just have to save my money up for a K55. bud

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

neato.

how much does it cost?

what's the caliber on it anyway?

bobotech

A K31 made today would cost in an excess of a grand to build.

They are very very well built.

I just bought one last week from a private party for 100 bux.

Quite happy.

I would say paying 160-200 for one is a good deal.

I love the way you rack the bolt. Stright back and forth.

Rare ammo. 7.55x55 (i think). Its about 40cents to over a buck a round (norma hunting ammo).

Accurate to out to 1500 meters (or so they say).

Its not a go to the range and bang out 200 rounds for fun gun, its a sight it in properly and then go hunting with it, gun.

Cold_Zero

$189 per rifle, hand selected for their inventory. I am paying about 4.83 for a box of 10 rounds. That is Swiss Army Surplus.

We will see how it shoots come this weekend.

Cold_Zero

The order came pretty quick. I think after tomorrow's IDPA shoot we may try the K31 out.

bobotech

NIce.

My son and I bought a bag of 50 Norma brass (normally very expensive brass) that was new/primed/sized/and ready for bullets.

We loaded them up and shot off 5 of them 2 nights ago. Very pleasant rifle to shoot unlike the angry Mosins.

Got the bag of brass, a brand new set of reloading dies for 35 dollars. We were quite happy to say the least.

Cold_Zero

Put 20 rounds through the K31. It is a very good weapon. Need more rounds through it to get better at it.

Tonight I located some information about my K31. I took off the buttplate and located the information card of the weapon. It was made in 1940 and was issued to a Rochat Eric in Chavornay Switzerland.

I feel a bit ripped off. Other guys got information such as their birth year, address and military unit. I just got the name and city.

bobotech

Very very nice.

DOn't feel bad about feeling ripped off.I was pissed off about my K31 when I bought it. The seller told me that he had taken the butt plate off and showed his kid the card with all the info and then proceeded to lose the damned card.

I was quite displeased to the point of being pissed off but still, for 100 bux, one doesn't scoff at a sale.

But that was one of the reasons why I wanted the k31 (the buttplate info). To me him losing the butt plate card was like someone having a priceless piece of history and then just losing it. Ugh. Thats why I love these old guns, they are a part of living history.

Oh well, still is a great weapon.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I think I might pick one of these up soon...I've never messed with a straight pull rifle.

how is it with good optics?

Return to “The Great Outdoors”