Options to purchasing Nissan Consult Tool

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
EdBwoy

I am interested in purchasing Consult for my vehicles. Some of them call for Consult 2, while some call for Consult 3.
I came across some literature that said that not all functionality is backwards-compatible, meaning that Consult III might not be able to do everyrhing that Consult II can.

Here's the issue, I cannot just walk up to a dealership and ask to purchase it. Believe me, I tried.
The service advisor was generous enough to offer me to come in and he could do simple programming on what I needed - much appreciated, but I hope to do continuous tweaking and exploring at home without constantly interrupting someone's job.

1. Have any of you had an opportunity to purchase any of the Consult versions as a civilian/non-dealer?
  2. If yes, could you recommend a reputable vendor for it?
  3. Has anyone worked with Datascan software? The price isn't bad, but I would like to get input from people who have experience and can offer insight as to how well NDS functionality compares to Consult?

Any guidance is welcome.
Thanks
[EdBwoy at gmail dot com]

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EdBwoy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:31 pm
I came across some literature that said that not all functionality is backwards-compatible, meaning that Consult III might not be able to do everyrhing that Consult II can.
Unfortunately that's true. C3+ was supposed to be fully backwards-compatible with C2, but it never worked out that way. C3+ works right on nearly everything after about '08, but there are often problems with older vehicles, especially with NVIS security functions and with vehicles having SEC's (the BCM's primitive ancestor).

By the way, you do not want Consult3. The C3 was a complete boondoggle that led to Nissan sacking half its IT department. C2 or C3+ if you get anything, not C3.

EdBwoy

Thanks for that pointer, I'll make sure I focus on 3+ and 2 when it comes to Consult.

Would you know if these tools need be updated ever so often for functionality? Or would it just be security & firmware updates since they run off a laptop, last I saw one.
Basically, I'm trying to see if the Consult 3+ I would buy tomorrow for my 2018 Murano would still do everything the same as if I were to buy it in 2025.
Or the Consult 2 I buy for my 2003 Q45 tomorrow would do the same thing Consult 2 was able to do in 2003, no extra features, and none removed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Updates to the C3+ package are automatic online with the ASIST package, which you'd need to buy to stay current. I believe ASIST is available to the public now as a subscription. Honestly, for "professional DIY" purposes, you'd probably be better off (and maybe cheaper) with something like a SnapOn Solus. We have one in the shop for used cars, and It can perform most functions on Nissans as well as the C3+, but it doesn't have issues with cars going all the way back to OBD-I. The support is good and it's very versatile, with a built-in 2-channel scope and other features the C3+ lacks.

EdBwoy

Alright, I'll look into that and update with my findings/opinions.
If the price is right, I'll just purchase it and test.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Just FYI, it's illegal for dealerships/manufacturers to not sell you their diagnostic tools. I hear about this because of trying to do some work on my 1999 Chevy Truck. In the early to mid-90's, GM tried to make it so the only way to diagnose problems with their vehicles was by going to the dealer. Their version of Consult was called Tech1. The independent mechanics threw a fit and got together and sued. Long story short, the government said, no, you can't do that. So GM made the Tech1 (and the much more common Tech2) available for purchase. Of course, nobody told GM how much they had to sell it for. So they were charging thousands of dollars for them. Eventually OBD2 was mandated and that helped a lot, but they still had a TON of functions that can only be done with Tech2. I discovered this when I tried to replace the injection pump on my 6.2TD truck. There is a setup procedure that has to be done after the injection pump is installed to sync the engine and position sensor in the pump. The ONLY thing that will do it properly is the Tech2. And yes, I tried the SnapOn Solus2 and it still didn't work correctly. GM's TAPS programming also is very hit and miss with what will set that up properly, from what I hear. Fortunately, there are illegal clones of the hardware and software now for a fraction of the cost. I bought one of those and they work perfectly. The reason I had to do that was because when I tried to take my truck to GM to get them to program the injection pump timing, nobody there knew how to do it because the truck was so old. It also requires some special tools to adjust the pump location and none of the GM techs at the dealership owned those tools because the truck was so old.

Anyway, that was a long a** rant/tirade, but I promise you, Nissan (and it's dealership network) HAVE to sell you Consult if you want to buy it. Now, there's nothing saying they can't charge you $20K for it, but legally, they HAVE to make it available.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

float_6969 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 am
Anyway, that was a long a** rant/tirade, but I promise you, Nissan (and it's dealership network) HAVE to sell you Consult if you want to buy it. Now, there's nothing saying they can't charge you $20K for it, but legally, they HAVE to make it available.
You're quite right, but unfortunately on both counts. The VI (Virtual Interface) for the C3+ is $6500 by itself. By the time you're done with the C3+, VI, and an ASIST subscription, $20K sounds about right.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Friggin crooks. There's a reason I keep hanging on to old a** cars. I like to fix my own stuff, but buying a $40K car and then spending another $20k on diagnostic tools to be able to repair it is asinine.

C6Joe1957
Car: 2012 M56 Sport
2008 G37 Journey Sport

Saw this one on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-CONSULT ... Sw27df9jgS

It's being offered by a pretty good seller from the Ukraine with many sales and 99% rating.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

C6Joe1957 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm
It's being offered by a pretty good seller from the Ukraine with many sales and 99% rating.
Good deal for what it's worth, but it's only half the battle. There's no VI with it.

EdBwoy

Float, thanks for the info. I should say, the dealerships I went to didn't know (or weren't interested in figuring) how to source a Consult Tool for sale to a member of the public.
I had illusions of spending no more than $7k for a brand new, OEM spec unit, but I'm learning that I'd need to reach deeper into my pockets.

So I'm leaning heavily on the Snapon Solus. It gets good reviews and is a little easier to swallow at a MSRP of close to $4k, with used units on eBay listed for about half.

While on eBay, I did see the one Joe linked above, as well as some Consult 2 units (still pricey!) The issue with all these used ones for sale, is that I don't have enough knowledge on what are all the components I need to fully diagnose & configure my vehicles, so I wouldn't know if what I am buying is satisfactory or not - like the point by VStar about the VI missing from that listing. I assumed it means vehicle interface, and searching around it could range from $500 to $1200, but is that all I need?

Btw, I saw that a seemingly complete kit of Consult 3+ materials had sold for $4,500 recently.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geniune-Nissan ... 890.l49292

Return to “General Chat”