Options for upgrading 240sx rear brakes

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
edwards30
Car: 1995 240sx SE

I am reading on the forums about people upgrading to 300zx brakes and some of them make it sound overwhelming. I have 300zx brakes upfront already, the only reason I am wanting to change my rear setup is because I have a seized driver-side caliper. What all do i need for a Z swap in the back? and what are my other options? Thanks in advance!

poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

look up the definitive 300zx brake swap on google

they got you covered

a performance upgrade i think its the only other worth while upgrade such as a stoptech, etc...

or i read about keeping the stock caliper and upgrading the rear with z31 rotors and guides and spacing it out properly with longer bolts and that increases it to like 11.5 i wanna say?

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

Z32 rears use different e brake cables than 240sx... so if you do just the caliper and rotor swap, you won't have an ebrake, unless you swap from the whole rear z32 assembly.

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#rearbrake

edwards30

ok so this is an old thread and i have a new question. I have new car and want to order the Z brakes for the back. My question is, if i use a Hydro e brake instead of a cable e brake can i remove the drum part of the brake system?

poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

hydro brake dosnt rely on the cable so you could remove anything that the cable uses to stop the car i.e. the shoes and drums i do believe...not completly sure though cause im not familiar with the set up

remember though if you use the hydro i think that after awhile if you use it as your parking brake it will wear the seals on it alot faster....at least it happend to somebody around my area

edwards30

thanks for the reply, i'm thinking basically along the same lines as what your saying but i'm hoping i'm not the first one and would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”