opinions needed please

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

my power steering has been giving me issues... i'm thinking of disabling it

it will give me a little quicker revs and there is only one belt that needs to be removed and no more stupid problems

i'm worried about slaloms though... i know a guy in a civic hatch that doesn't have issues without power steering but... well its a civic

more or less my steering ratio sucks and if it wasn't for that i would have already removed it

everywhere i looked says for the power steering system on my truck it NEEDS to go to the dealer and i don't want to deal with that... i just want it gone!

what would you guys do?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

chuck it!

my regular autocross car is a 240Z with 17x11 front wheels, quick steer knuckles and an obscene scrub radius, it's a pita to park or steer at low speeds but when autocrossing I have no problem with it, if you aren't used to it it's heavy but yonot enough to be an issue

my 87 300ZXT I converted to manual steering as well, again, pita to park or drive low speeds and it is a bit heavier than power but at an autocross not enoughto be an issue

just be sure if you remove the power steering to purge the fluid otu of the rack/box, then loop the lines on the box/rack

PEZi

evildky wrote:chuck it!

just be sure if you remove the power steering to purge the fluid otu of the rack/box, then loop the lines on the box/rack
this is the part i need to figure out... i looked in my repair manual and the power steering is THE ONLY thing in there that it says is too complicated and should just be taken to a dealer

evildky

lol, a rack has 2 seperate areas the switch or controller area is the first part the lines form the pump lead thats wheere your steering imputs are used to push the fluid out of the rack or box in which ever direction is needed, the lines then the leave the controll area and go in tot he ram/cylinder area, one to each side, one for left turns one for right, you just loop the left to the right after purging

PEZi

awesome! easy enough. i'm not gonna lie tho... i looked at my system the other day and have no idea how to purge it. i know i can figure it out but the problem is i didn't have time and now i'm on vacation till friday and the next event is saturday....

as of now it sits with the belt and pulleys removed... just need to figure out the purge then loop it!

evildky

with the belt off the steering is going to be very hard, you are nto only having to manualy steer the car but you are also pusing allt aht hyraulic fluid back and forth through the system when you turn

PEZi

yeah i'm in the process of figuring out how to get the fluid out... i asked on ratsun so we'll see if i get my answer there because i can't look at it myself until friday afternnon and it needs to be done and ready to go by friday night! i'll figure it out... i know where all the power steering piping goes so i'm sure i'll figure out someway to purge it!

PEZi

i had someone tell me on ratsun to leave the fluid in... that it lubricates the box and isn't that hard to push..... anybody seconding that or drain it?

PEZi

well... everything is removed other than i left a small bit of fluid in the box for lube

it worked great at the event saturday and the steering was very smooth compared to before

here is a pic from saturday

evildky

you'll neven get every bit of fluid out, so you are bound to leave a bit in which I figure is god to keep the actuator body lubed, any gear box or rack is lubed sperately usually with gear lube

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”