Opinion on new wheels

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
LetsGo
Car: 1990 300ZX NA 2+2

Hello Gents -

I have a new to me 90' NA 2+2, all stock. It needs new tires and I'm not a huge fan of the stock wheels, so I would like to get something updated for a better look. At searching and reading - A LOT - I have decided I want to keep it at a 17" wheel. I want to upgrade the look, but at the same time stay close to stock and jeopardize the ride the least amount possible. I won't be doing any other modifications to the car, and I want to keep all wheels the same size rather than staggered, for costs / rotation ease. I just want a good, classy, upgraded look and I do like the look of wider tires on this car.

So after all of my reading, I found a wheel I really like which is 17x9 +35, and I was going to put one of these all around with either 245/40/17s or 255/40/17s. After doing all sorts of fitment calculations on various calculators, they all said this would fit. But then I read more than once that it could hit the brakes, which I want no part of.

So now I found a wheel I like which is 17x8 +35, and another one I like which is the same size but +38 offset, and I am looking to put one of these all around with either 235/45/17s, 245/40/17s or 245/45/17s (this last one will affect my speedo more). This is where I am at and to be honest, I'm tired of reading about it and getting confused on what I find is a lot of misinformation. I really would just like some opinions and advice from other owners out there, if anyone has a similar set-up? Or thinks I am off base? I would appreciate any feedback. I've looked at lot and tried to find pictures, but most pictures I see are simply bigger wheels and/or tires.

Oh, and I should mention - I'm not looking to drop $2k on wheels. I'm looking at Enkei Tuning series which are right in my budget. Thx guys for any opinions...

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

If you stay within the recommended sizing for the Z32 you should be just fine...the "Everything you need...Z32" sticky has a tire sizing chart for 17" and 18" wheel and tire combos.
Since you are not looking for "Hellaflush" or anything out of line, the chart should get you settled on sizes. The only real issues are brakes rubbing with a brake upgrade (larger calipers rub on stock wheels, 17" wheels clear most big brake kits), and bad sized tires/bad wheel offset can rub the liners and other suspension pieces, but these issues should not concern you with a more stock setup that you are looking for.
Hope this helps!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”