Opinion on 01 QX4 Price

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
txv6
Car: 01 QX4 4WD

I want a 4WD QX4 now and found one at a used dealer.
1 owner, 98k miles, flawless interior and exterior. Rust/Corrosion work has not been done, but it is in a non-salt state anyway.

What is a fair price for this? Dealer is asking 6k.
I am tired of searching and finding sketchy junk amongst other sellers and will likely pay this unless the PPI finds anything major.

Only red flag is dealer dropped it to 6k with it originally being 7k.
7k was way to high imo, but wondering if it is also due to slow business given the covid19 situation.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

It's high, but not that high for the condition you describe. I paid 6K for my '03, 3 years ago with 130K. Nice, but not as nice as the one you're looking at.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

IMO, $6K is on the high end of a fair price given the mileage and any body work that has been done due to rust. If the engine, transmission, drivetrain, and suspension are is excellent maintained condition, I would consider $6K out the door more reasonable. I paid $5K out the door (taxes, registration, etc.) for my "02 Pathfinder 5yrs ago with 172K miles on it and in excellent condition (the dealer was asking $7K), but with minor rear end body damage fully restored, and one owner that kept all scheduled maintenance records. I have 220K miles on it now and it still performs as well as advertised when it was brand new. Ask for an out the door purchase price, lower than what the dealer is now offering.

txv6

Thanks! Just needed some additional confirmation from others.
Hopefully can work this out and be adding to the "post your qx4 pics" soon.

born2lse

What year is it? Pre 2001 I'd pay 2k at most, post 2001 I'd pay up to 3k but that's only if I NEED a car immediately. I may be biased though since I paid 800 for my current qx.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

born2lse wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:49 am
What year is it? Pre 2001 I'd pay 2k at most, post 2001 I'd pay up to 3k but that's only if I NEED a car immediately. I may be biased though since I paid 800 for my current qx.
Condition, condition, condition. It's described as a cream puff which commands a significant premium.

txv6

It's an 01 (see title :) )
I don't need the vehicle, I want it and am prepared to walk away if needed.
Case in point:
https://www.tulsaautofactory.com/invent ... 20SHARP%20*/

I was interested in this QX4, however I do my homework.
VIN history shows this was sold at auction.
Auction average based on Manheim data in that region shows a high average of $1600 paid for a QX4 in that condition (low values are around 600). Let's round up to 2k to be fair and assume the dealer put 1k into restoration for 3k value.
I offered 4k and the guy was a total a-hole about it. Not uncommon for a BHPH lot owner. So I walked.

Now I am eyeing a similar one that is 6k with ~50k less miles in similar condition.
So we will see.

born2lse

Even if you have a low mileage, pristine car that was kept in a humidity and temp controlled garage; we're still talking about a 20 year old car. The gaskets, sealants, bushings, greases, have all decayed to an extent, and there's no guarantee everything's going to last the full "lifetime" down the road.

Personally I'd rather buy a good condition one for 2-3k and save the remaining for when something breaks or for upgrades. I bet you could replace every suspension part and every single bushing on the car for 3k. But hey, it's your money, if you wanna splurge then go for it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”