Opinion of the Nissan Renault Mitsubishi Alliance

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
DurableOilAMSOIL

What are your opinions of the Nissan Renault Mitsubishi Alliance?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I knew nothing of it and had to read up on it. Interesting........

It would seem to offer some explanation of why NIssan true quality has taken a huge dump since around year 2000. At least according to the longtimers here. I'm fairly new to Nissan but I have eyes and they work pretty good. The ones I have do not seem to fit the degree of Japanese quality I expected when I made the jump from Ford.

I as well got to see how Renault dealt with American Motors, my first favorite marque. AMC cars were never truly known as being any better than just a car, they had plenty of issues and lack of money kept it that way. But Renault took that to a new low, the cars were abominable and nobody wanted them at all, they were utter junk, I worked on some of them and like going back to the '50s on late '70s model cars.

To this day I hate pure Renault cars of any type, they represent regression to me. I note that the world strategy now seems to have them going into the poorer countries with teeming populations, or people not smart enough to know good cars vs. bad..........

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

The Renault and AMC abortion was the Concord [with or without a final "e"] and my company at that time had a "good deal" that saddled me with this piece of S**t on fields trips. It was so bad the the wiring harness and engine sensors varied in diameter from I think week to week! I took to bringing a pair of crimping tools and a small hammer with me. I would make the rental agent come with me while I checked out the proffered car. I would make and break each engine compartment connection and as usually necessary crimp the harness or hammer the connection before I would accept the rental. I documented the necessary repairs on my trip reports and before long we were no longer saddled with this POS !

macgiver

mac, just trying to follow what your saying - your employer set up car rentals , for field trips , and you messed with cars' factory wiring , and I'm just surprised - isn't that NOT YOUR JOB? :tisk:

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Without the final E. I had a '78 Concord with the AMC six that went 300K+ miles before the days of ECM control. The Chrysler transmission (A904) was the only thing that broke in it, I modded and put in a Hemi Torqueflite A727 with a B&M valvebody in it. Ever hear a six get hard second gear scratch? That one would and it freaked people out. As well, Dad had removed all of the emission equipment and later I was forced to improvise when inspection law changed to force tailpipe testing. I did not add back all of the needed parts to exact OEM but what I did worked so well the car tested as cleaner running than my later PCMed '88 Ford did. The inspection guy couldn't believe it.

AMC even put that abysmal Renault four into Jeeps, we had one and a bigger piece of crap you never saw. That engine also went into Spirits as they used the same body platform, a holdover from the Hornet/Gremlin doing the same. Same cars renamed and different outside sheetmetal.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

..........................................double post
Last edited by amc49 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

So it seems Nissan is not comfortable in where they sit in that Renault consortium. In fact, they do not want to completely merge AT ALL.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/busi ... nduct.html

https://jalopnik.com/was-carlos-ghosn-w ... 1830569053

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Yeah, who would want to make shoddy vehicles on behalf of a foreign government (french)???

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Ghosn resigned from Renault on Thursday, that gets him entirely out of the chain.

What happens next is anybody's guess, but for sure Nissan will be wanting more independence.

Return to “Others”