Operation suspension... Complete! (NO 56k)

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Yes.. Rumor is true, Mr. Wes over here has been tinkering with his suspenison... The short answer??

Ive never had more fun in a Q45.. I cant go fast enough!!! I love it! All I really need right now is an alignment, which will happen this week... Other than that all im going to do is install 240sx/300ZX subframe spacers...

IM sure some are wondering how the springs react with the car... The bottom line is, they ride very similar to the eibachs. Maybe sligthly firmer but its hard to compare with all the other stuff ive done, but not any softer.. I love the ride, its absolutely perfect...

So once im done, heres what has/will be done to my suspension...

- 18in 350Z track wheels... 225-45-18 Nitto 555 front tires, 265-40-18 Bridgestone RE050 in the rear...- California Custom springs- SPL Tension Rods- SPL front adjustable upper links- SPL Rear adjustable links- SPL Subframe spacers- Q45a 20mm Rear sway bar with poly/rubber bushigns- Stillen Strut tower brace- Tokico blues

Thats it as far as I can remember...

So heres some pictures.. I wont bore you all here with the install details, ill post something seperate in the online mechanic...

PICTURE OF THE CAR AS IT SITS NOW WILL COME TOMORROW AS I CLEAN THINGS UP...

New suspension parts

Everything installed.

Thats good for now, the rest of my pcictures will be posted later, as well as pictures of the car.....

Heath
Car: 1992 Q45, 2000 Excursion (towrig), 2003 Yukon Denali (Wife's Ride)

looks good...

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

That's great Wes. I only wish I had a camera so I could have shown my Low rider with the red California Custom springs that match my hair. The 1st gear problems I have been having has not let me fully check the performance out.

The SPL parts look nice, but don't you have to do some adjusting on those adjustable links and rods to really take advantage of having such a set up? Do you plan to play with them some?

red

FarFetched
Car: Suzuki SV1000S.

Looks nice. It's obvious that on-road cars experience less dirt accumulation that off-road vehicles. However, my point is why to trust dry-type heim joints for suspension, whereas, greasable type joints could be used such Johnny joints. I have personally (during 8 years of Jeep ownership) worn out 2 track bars with heim type joints and set of lower control arm with dry-type heim joints. Ever since I've switched to Johnny joint (greasable) failures were minimal. I know it handles like a dream, that's why racing people use those. In my point of view it is wasting parts, even though you can easily rebuild hemi-joints. just my .02$Cheers!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

FarFetched wrote:Looks nice. It's obvious that on-road cars experience less dirt accumulation that off-road vehicles. However, my point is why to trust dry-type heim joints for suspension, whereas, greasable type joints could be used such Johnny joints. I have personally (during 8 years of Jeep ownership) worn out 2 track bars with heim type joints and set of lower control arm with dry-type heim joints. Ever since I've switched to Johnny joint (greasable) failures were minimal. I know it handles like a dream, that's why racing people use those. In my point of view it is wasting parts, even though you can easily rebuild hemi-joints. just my .02$Cheers!
I understand, but new joints are so cheap... PLUS, SPL now offers the tension rods with the sealed bearings...

RobertsnewQ

FarFetched wrote:Looks nice. It's obvious that on-road cars experience less dirt accumulation that off-road vehicles. However, my point is why to trust dry-type heim joints for suspension, whereas, greasable type joints could be used such Johnny joints. I have personally (during 8 years of Jeep ownership) worn out 2 track bars with heim type joints and set of lower control arm with dry-type heim joints. Ever since I've switched to Johnny joint (greasable) failures were minimal. I know it handles like a dream, that's why racing people use those. In my point of view it is wasting parts, even though you can easily rebuild hemi-joints. just my .02$Cheers!
Yeah, you have to check them with the "shake test" every so often. Actually, on the street they don't wear very fast because there is no grease to attract dirt - I got 20,000 miles out of a set of them on a Sentra lower control arm. DO NOT grease them - they are teflon lined.

If it bothers you, get the rubber seals for the sides, or the sealed joints from Powertrix.

Oh, and the upper arms Wes is using have sealed bearings (they don't articulate) that wear very slowly.

How harsh is the front over minor bumps now?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Id say its only slightly more harsh, say maybe 15% more harsh, and thats being very conservative.... Surprisingly enough, the 18s didnt have as big of an impact (pun intended) as I thought they would...

really its not much harsher, it just makesmore noise, it really doesnt jarr things... You can definitely feel the road, but its not too bad...

FarFetched

I know the feeling you get after refurbushing and tuning suspension. I am still new to on-raod cars business, so lots to learn. Cheers!

PoorManQ45

Total cost of suspension components?

Links to where you got everything?

When you say california custom, is that a company, or do you mean custom part?

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

this post is totally useless without several pics of your car!!!!! pictures of parts are okay...but nothing like seeing the finished product

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Nice. Upper links look to be Midori. Are they rebranded by SPL?

Show us the rear suspension, please.

How does the four wheel alignment check out?

Too bad there are no forged uprights and lower arms available.

RobertsnewQ

maxnix wrote:Nice. Upper links look to be Midori. Are they rebranded by SPL?

I'm not sure if the SPL arms are Midori, but they are VERY similar. There are a couple of similar brands.

Lower arms are available from SPL.

Oh, by the way Wes - I saw a G50 (I think it was a 94) on Friday that had been cut up for repair panels. The A-pillars, sills and lower half of the B-pillars are all foam filled from the factory.
Modified by RobertsnewQ at 10:00 AM 8/9/2005

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

maxnix wrote:Nice. Upper links look to be Midori. Are they rebranded by SPL?

Show us the rear suspension, please.

How does the four wheel alignment check out?

You can get the lower control arms from SPL...

I havent had the alignment done yet, i will have that done probably tomorrow or thursday...

Heres your rear suspension

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Dang you tease! I thought "Ok, Wes just posted, he must be done waxing!!!".

Hurry the heck up, we're all sitting here waiting like dog's that can smell our food, but can't have it yet!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Falkdesigns wrote:Dang you tease! I thought "Ok, Wes just posted, he must be done waxing!!!".

Hurry the heck up, we're all sitting here waiting like dog's that can smell our food, but can't have it yet!
Indeed!!! +1 for me!!

Now, without further adeu, heres the pics.....

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

That's hotne$$!!! Something to be very proud of and I'm sure you'll have a blast rollin' in that baby.

Couple suggestions: take Hitekk sticker off side skirts, line up logo on center caps like a T with the valve stem - it's just a little detail, but it makes a difference.

You have a Super Chips chip?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Falkdesigns wrote:That's hotne$$!!! Something to be very proud of and I'm sure you'll have a blast rollin' in that baby.

Couple suggestions: take Hitekk sticker off side skirts, line up logo on center caps like a T with the valve stem - it's just a little detail, but it makes a difference.

You have a Super Chips chip?
Im probably going to get some infiniti center caps, however I have NO qualms showing off the nissan burger!!!!!

Super chips made my wiring for the secondary fuel system... i think anyway...

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

Damn....very nice indeed Wes. I thought it would be more of a drop but it is not at all.

Love the wheels also......

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Very nice. Do you have the spring specifications? Rear end looks a tiny bit lower then front.

Get it aligned and tell us how it drives, other than completely differently.

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Lucky bastard. Looks hot, Wes.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

wes,looks good also appears to beslightly lower than eibachs or maby it is the 18" rims

RobertsnewQ

That looks really good.

I think I've decided to go down almost the same road as you. After flip-flopping, I'm definitely going with the solid tension rods and upper links.

Where did you get the track ed. wheels? Those are damn hard to find and expensive. But hot, that's for sure.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

RobertsnewQ wrote:That looks really good.

I think I've decided to go down almost the same road as you. After flip-flopping, I'm definitely going with the solid tension rods and upper links.

Where did you get the track ed. wheels? Those are damn hard to find and expensive. But hot, that's for sure.
I agree.... I like the adjustability..... Eventually I'll get a camber/caster gauge.... that way I can go with some mad camber right before im autocrossing or something then bump it back to drive on the highway...

It took me a long time to find the track wheels, but I got really lucky.... Paid a LOT less than what I should have.. The guy that had them on his Z had no idea what they really are...

FarFetched

Are those NISSAN wheels?I really-really like them! Which NIssan are they from?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

350Z track model.....

RobertsnewQ

Only the HOTTEST Nissan RWD wheels.

Dude you suck.

BUt that's cool

Anyway, lemme know how it is when you get things sorted out.

I've got a camber gauge and a toe-in gauge. If you want to borrow them email me and I'll send them along (as long as you pay shipping and return them).

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

RobertsnewQ wrote:Only the HOTTEST Nissan RWD wheels.

Dude you suck.

BUt that's cool

Anyway, lemme know how it is when you get things sorted out.

I've got a camber gauge and a toe-in gauge. If you want to borrow them email me and I'll send them along (as long as you pay shipping and return them).
whoa that woudl be cool... if you dont mind me asking, whered you get it???

I think im going to call around and get my alignment done today...

RobertsnewQ

elwesso wrote:whoa that woudl be cool... if you dont mind me asking, whered you get it???

I think im going to call around and get my alignment done today...
The camber gauge is a Halibrand racing gauge - you can get them from Racer Parts Wholesale and others. I forget the brand of the toe gauge, I've had both for years. They work better than a framing square and tape measure, but aren't as nice as a full-on laser alignment.

Rex
Car: None

RobertsnewQ wrote:Only the HOTTEST Nissan RWD wheels.
What about the 19" forged Rays on the G35C? Would those be considered the HOTTEST Infiniti RWD wheels??

RobertsnewQ

Rex wrote:What about the 19" forged Rays on the G35C? Would those be considered the HOTTEST Infiniti RWD wheels??
Oh I didn't know about those! The 18" 350z wheels Wes has are forged by Rays too.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”