Opening the Convertible Trunk Question....

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
DoctorDon
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Just purchased a new 09 G37 convertible....Platinum/Graphite with premium, navigation and tech packages. I have a question about opening the trunk, which I suspect is specific to the convertible, and not the coupe or sedan.

When I pop the latch and then try to open the trunk, there is a fair amount of resistance and a sound almost like I'm working against some kind of electric motor. After a few seconds, the motor-like sounds stop, and the resistance becomes a little less as I fully open the trunk. When I close the trunk, I hear this "electric motor" sound again for a few seconds after the lid is closed all the way.

My question: Is this normal?

Thanks.

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

Welcome to NICO and another vert owner.

everything that you describe sounds normal. That trunk lid is awfully heavy, and there are many mechanisms back there, so opening the trunk isn't as swift and easy as one would think. But I think it was by design. I don't recall any kind of motor sounds when lifting the trunk lid, just that it opens slow. The sound you hear when you close the trunk is the trunk lid settling into its final place and that is definitely normal. Watch it and you will see the trunk lid lower slowly into its appropriate place.

Just watch out for smashing your head against the trunk lid while placing stuff in the trunk. That trunk lid doesn't offer much clearance when fully opened, and I have whacked my head numerous times when I was putting stuff in the trunk quickly and not paying attenion!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Hey Doc - Congrats on the purchase & welcome. As stated above, everything is operating normally although I dont get an electrical mototr sound which occurs when closing when the latch automatically retracts in order to seat the lid in its final closed position.-B

PS - Excellent selection - Platinum Graphite is the fastest color...

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hello and Welcome,

The rear trunk on your car has a very interesting and complex mounting system. There are several hydraulic solenoids and the ability to move in two directions, one of the is completely autonomous. There is a system called a cinch motor that controls the operation of the trunk latch assembly. This is exactly like the system on some of the suvs, the EX and FX have cinch (closure) motors.

You may hear and actually see the hatch rise that is completely normal.

newSpider4re

I believe the sound you are hearing is partly due to the "changing" aspect of the trunk lid. In its normal position it is set to open rearward for the top to drop down and in. when you hit your remote or the button inside the car and then go to open the lid, the mechanism changes the opening position so that it opens up to allow you to put stuff in the trunk.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”