Opening/Closing Windows with the Key

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

One convenience I've enjoyed in my last couple of Audi's (and previous Volkswagen owners may be able to relate to this as well), is that when you turn the car off and forget to close the sunroof or windows, you can do so with the key. You simply place the key in the lock, then turn and hold in the lock position. This closes all open windows and the sunroof, if any. (The reverse is also true to open all windows and any sunroof, to air out the car without starting it.)

When I read p3-4 of my EX manual, I thought this offered the same, but then noticed that there was no mention of the sunroof ... hm, OK.

However, the other day, I happened to need that function and found out that the key-in-the-lock trick only closes (or opens) the front windows, even though the manual clearly states "The driver's door key operation also allows you to open and close all door windows."

So, has anyone else tried this? Do I have a problem with my car, or is this feature simply "incomplete" in its implementation and erroneously documented in the manual?

TIA,David

Mark Booth

Same on my EX35. Key in door only opens (or closes) the front windows.

Perhaps the operation of all four windows and/or the sunroof via the key-in-door is something that can be turned on/off by an Infiniiti dealer? I know that my Lexus (traded for the EX35) could be "programmed" in a variety of different ways in this regard.

BTW and FWIW, you can also lower the front two windows by holding down the unlock button on the keyfob. The lock button does NOT roll them back up though.

Mark

dividedhighw

Thanks, Mark.

Yes, you can use the key fob to open also and that's covered in the manual, but I didn't want to cloud the situation by mentioning that.

If the dealer might be able to affect certain things, is it done using an OBD-II port? Where is this port on the EX? Has anyone got a reference to what data blocks are associated with what functions?

TIA,David

RCF
Car: EX35

I was under the impression that all EX35's were "keyless". I don't have a keyhole on the door to put a key into.

dividedhighw

Hm ... you might want to look again - when you're sober. ( ... just kidding!)

It's clearly shown in the graphic on p3-4 of the manual, and it's certainly there on my car!!

As the preceding page of the manual shows, there's a small slider on the backside of the key fob that releases the mechanical key. It's this you use, once you do find the keyhole.

RCF
Car: EX35

Hey, I found it! Strange, I adjusted to the keyless entry so easily that I never bothered to look for a keyhole. I guess I would only use it in an emergency.

dividedhighw

Took my car into the dealer for 3 things, one of which was verification of the extent of this function. They claimed it's "working properly" and that irrespective of the manual, it's only meant to operate the front door windows, and certainly NOT the sunroof.

I specifically asked if there were any OBD data blocks that could be changed to affect the operation of this, but they told me no.

Particularly for a self-professed "intelligent" car company, this makes no sense. Yes, this function lets you air out the car on a hot day, but it's equally useful when you turn off your car, forgetting to close all windows. This is MUCH more likely for the rear windows than the front ones. Plus, if this affects the rear windows, surely the first capability (airing out the car) would benefit as well.

I insisted the Asst Service Manager escalate it to Infiniti to see if anything could be done, and he agreed, but I'm not too hopeful. (So far, I'm extremely "underwhelmed" by the service at 417 Infiniti, but I'll post more on that when I have more time.)

Anyway, if anyone has more info on this, I'd very much appreciate it if you could post here.

TIA,David

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

dividedhighw wrote:Hm ... you might want to look again - when you're sober. ( ... just kidding!)

It's clearly shown in the graphic on p3-4 of the manual, and it's certainly there on my car!!

As the preceding page of the manual shows, there's a small slider on the backside of the key fob that releases the mechanical key. It's this you use, once you do find the keyhole.
If your EX is like my G, it would be a good idea to find the "secret" spot for inserting the key in case you ever need to start the car and the intelligent key battery is dead. It wouldn't be that easy to find mine in the dark.

Also, I've heard that it is a good idea to change the batteries in the fobs about every 18 to 24 months - before they go dead. I've seen the battery for 99 cents on the Internet. I'll bet they are much more at an Infiniti shop.

dividedhighw

rn79870 wrote:If your EX is like my G, it would be a good idea to find the "secret" spot for inserting the key in case you ever need to start the car and the intelligent key battery is dead. It wouldn't be that easy to find mine in the dark.
Good point! In the EX, the fob must be inserted into the "Intelligent Key Port", located below and to the left of, the steering column - see manual p0-6 (item 8) for an illustration and p5-8 for full details.
rn79870 wrote:Also, I've heard that it is a good idea to change the batteries in the fobs about every 18 to 24 months - before they go dead. I've seen the battery for 99 cents on the Internet. I'll bet they are much more at an Infiniti shop.
The required battery is a disc type CR2032 (see p8-21), commonly available at many electronics outlets and even some dollar stores. As I near the 18 month mark, I intend to keep a couple on-hand (perhaps even one in the glove box).

dividedhighw

A quick update on this ...

I've now been dealing directly with the service manager and I must say, he's been excellent.

Unfortunately, the news isn't good. He tells me that the key-activated window feature is tied into the "express" up/down feature. Since the rear windows don't have this, there's no way to include them.

This sounds believable, so my hope for any better outcome is dwindling. That said, there are a couple more points to consider: i) the sunroof does have "express" operation (i.e. one button press opens/closes fully) yet it's still not covered by this featureii) as previously said, Audi/VW has had this capability for many years; if Infiniti is using the same chipset, it's possible there's a "backdoor" way to wake this up to at least include the sunroof, if not the rear windows.

If you stumble across any more info, please share it on this thread!

Dodgeyaussie

dividedhighw wrote:A quick update on this ...

I've now been dealing directly with the service manager and I must say, he's been excellent.

Unfortunately, the news isn't good. He tells me that the key-activated window feature is tied into the "express" up/down feature. Since the rear windows don't have this, there's no way to include them.

This sounds believable, so my hope for any better outcome is dwindling. That said, there are a couple more points to consider: i) the sunroof does have "express" operation (i.e. one button press opens/closes fully) yet it's still not covered by this featureii) as previously said, Audi/VW has had this capability for many years; if Infiniti is using the same chipset, it's possible there's a "backdoor" way to wake this up to at least include the sunroof, if not the rear windows.

If you stumble across any more info, please share it on this thread!
Sounds about right seeing as how all four windows on the G's can be opened/closed with the key.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

try these guys. They have all kind of modules.[URLhttp://www.kptechnologies.com/][/URL]

zozo

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”