1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So...as a long-time Onlive detractor, I think I've finally seen a place where the service can really shine: my PHONE.

Onlive has released an android app. Once you've run it, you'll also automatically get Lego Batman for free, so you can try it out and decide if it's for you (and/or your available bandwidth).

I haven't done much more than play around with The Bat Man. Unfortunately input lag is even worse than I feared it would be. Even over wireless G at home, there's easily a 1-second input lag. It makes even a simple game like Lego Batman impossible to play. The really weird bit is that the input lag doesn't get any worse over 4G. It should be noted that there's no lag in the Onlive interface itself, so it's conceivable that the lag issue could be resolved in game as well.

Onlive's weird fuzzy-artifacted video isn't really a problem on a phone-size screen, especially not my G2's relatively low-res display.

I was impressed to find that Onlive for Android supports keyboard and trackpad inputs as controls. And, even MORE surprising, it supports multiple inputs on the same device. I was actually running around simultaneously controlling Batman with the keyboard and Robin with the touchscreen. Very cool.

The interface is also very slick, looking like its desktop/microconsole counterpart. But it's weirdly selective of the device hard buttons it wants to recognize. For instance, I can make menu selections in Onlive with my trackpad, but I can't select anything by pressing it; that requires use of the enter key, or a tap of the button on the screen itself.

I think that if they can iron out the lag issues, this could be a HUGE HUGE selling point for Onlive. I've been complaining about the "liteness" of mobile games for years now, waiting for some "real" games to hit smartphones. While a few games like NOVA 2 are exploring what phone hardware can do, for my full size gaming needs I've mostly been relegated to ports of older PC titles, like Quake. With Onlive, that's no longer an issue. I could play Arkham City or Skyrim on the go.
Of course I still have a problem with paying $50+ for a game I don't actually own--even on steam I at least keep the files on my computer and have the option to back them up. But if I could seamlessly play Half Life 2 on my phone I'd happily overlook that in select cases.

If you've got an Android device, go grab the app. Whether you end up using it much or not, you'll end up with Lego Batman for free, and you can play that on the PC client too, which means you can give both versions a try and see what you think.
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ive.client

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I downloaded it earlier today too. Unfortunately it's not too tablet friendly, so I probably won't use it much. I rarely play a game on my phone anymore, because I have a tablet with me wherever I go. If they get the resolution better for tablets, I might be more interested, but for now not so much. I did install it on my phone though, just to give it a run when i'm bored.

I've found a ton of emulators that work on the Touchpad though, so i'm gonna try to go pick up a PS3 controller later today and play a little Mario Kart. I've really been shocked how many games work well on this thing, even if they're not made for a tablet. For it having an OS that wasn't originally intended for it, i've been really impressed with everything that it's been capable of.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The resolution issues may not be your tablet's fault. Onlive looks fuzzy on all screens, a result of the streaming method. It's got the beer goggles affect even on my beautiful 23'' 1920x1080 LED monitor.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Lame. Hopefully they'll get it worked out then. I'd be very interested to play some of these games on the Touchpad.

I'm giving Gamefly a try again right now, because there are so many games me and the wife want to play, but some of them we really don't need to own. She beat Lego Harry Potter years 5-7 last night, so next up is Goldeneye Reloaded and Elder Scrolls Skyrim. You can keep the games too, for usually cheaper than you can buy them most places.

Return to “Gaming”