ONE YEAR with a New 350z!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Well its been 1 year and right at 9000 miles since I got my 04 350z. So I thought that I would make a thread about my first year with my 350z.

It all started when I decided to get rid of my 1974 Corvette (454 4-speed) and my 2002 Spec V in favor of a new performance car. I wanted to kind of combine the two cars. I started looking at mostly new cars and after some research narrowed it down to a few cars.

1) 04 G35c2) 04 350z3) 04 STI4) 04 EVO 5) 04 RX86) 04 s2000Then some used cars made my list as well.91-96 300zxTT94-96 C4 Vette95-96 Impala SS

I set out to test drive as many of the new cars as I could. After driving each of them I knew that my list would be very short. I really liked the G35c and 350z the most. However I was a bit worried that I would miss the fact that my Spec V was a 4 door. The EVO and STI were good choices due to this reason. The RX8 was just not powerful enough for my taste and the s2k was a convertible, which I'm not a big fan of. The G35c in the trim I wanted was out of my price range. Between the EVO and STI I decided to go for the EVO due to the price difference. I found a good deal on a new EVO Black or Yellow. I went to the dealership to decide which color to get. That's when I saw it.... a 2003 350z in Brickyard, the best color on the 350z IMO. I started thinking about what to do more and more. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the EVO because I'm a big fan of RWD and Nissan/Infiniti. So my mind was made up. After driving the Used 03 350z I said what the heck I'm getting back into a Z car (I had a 1991 300zx back in 94 which was a really great car to have). The used one that I drove had some things I didn't like, bald tires and a really dirty engine compartment. That car wasn't good enough for me to buy and keep for 10~15 years. A new car would be my only option.

So in Late November I started making a few call and trips to Nissan dealers. I was looking for a 2004 350z Enthusiast 6-speed with a few options in LaMans Sunset or Daytona Blue. I was also looking for a good low mileage Infiniti G35c. I found a great deal on a Black 350z in the trim level and options that I wanted for a great price. I thought the Black would look great next to my Black/Black 2002 Altima 3.5se (great car). I have a real hard time keeping the Altima clean though and wanted something that sticks out a bit more that Black. That's when I found a LeMans Sunset 350z here in Louisville. After some brief negotiation I was able to get it for the same price as the Black one I had tracked down.

I took delivery of my car on December 16th 2003! It was a very exciting day. By the time I got off work and went home to get my Spec V (I was trading it in on the Z) it was getting dark. The dealership had the car cleaned (it had been sitting out front on the sidewalk display area between a FX35 and Maxima and had some water spots on it [since then it has only been in the rain a handfull of times]) and a full tank of gas. I can remember the salesman saying "Man I bet you are hype" as he went over the cars functions and settings. My Z had 12 miles on it at that point. I drove it home and showed it to a few friends and my wife of course.

The next month was great. I drove my Z a whole bunch but kept the rpm's under 4K to insure a gentle break in. Every day I drove my car I took pictures of it in different locations. Each time I got behind the wheel I loved my car more and more. The first day that it was "broke in" and I could take it past 4K RPM's I was all smiles! In the next few weeks I leaned how to really drive the Z. Experimenting with the traction control off was loads of fun! I went to every car meet/show that I could and got involved in our local Z Cal Club, the Blue Grass Z Car Club. Within a month or two I became the events chair person with the club and was setting up all sorts of fun Z car related stuff like cruizes and track events. We had a day at Collins Nissan and even a Dyno day.

I have had my 350z on the 1/8 mile drag strip 3 or 4 times and was able to get a best time of 9.05x with a 1.9 60ft (bone stock). I have yet to be able to auto x or get to a 1/4 mile track, but those will come some time in the spring or summer next year.

My Z is as clean as the day I bought it and other than a very few chips on the front bumper its still as good as new. All the service has been completed and I'm ready to do my 9K mile oil change with some good synthetic oil. The only modification that has been done to my Z is the JWT pop charger, which is supposed to add about 5hp at the wheels. I'm not sure about the extra power but I know it sounds better than the stock air box. I drove my car a little bit today as a birthday present to it and had a great drive on a country road with a high speed burst or two to break the monotony.

I could not be happier with my choice in and all around sports car. It has everything that I wanted. Great low end TQ. Great styling. Great handling. Great interior. Great sound. I could go on all day and night. I am looking forward to a long history with this car.

My future plans are pretty simple but expensive. I will be waiting till I get it paid off for most of them but my list is short.

Front lipGrounding kitCover my OEM seats with leatherSuspension (about 1" drop I like the Nismo)High flow catsExhaust (Nismo)Wheels/Tires (no clue yet but something wide)FI (looking at the S/C w/ intercooler)

I will include a few pictures of my car that I took over the last year.

Happy B-DAY to my Z!

The first night when I went to pick up my 04 350z.Hi 350z goodbye Spec V.putting some miles on during the break in time.Greg and I at the 2004 Nico national meet."Best in class" winners from the 2004 Z Day at Collins Nissan.At a summer meet in Nashville.A BZCC Kart Kountry meet.At Ohio Vally Raceway for some 1/8 mile fun.My Z meeting Fred's new 350z for the first time.At the BIG late Fall meet in Louisville.At the BZCC Dyno day in Nov.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Awesome write-up!!

Great pics too!

Fred..

SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

That rocks! Great article. Great car.

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Dane,

I'd like to copy this into our articles section eventually if that's ok with you. Great write-up! Man I want a Z so bad.

Nick

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

NICE work Dane!

Happy B-Day to your Z!

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Happy birthday to your Z as well. Thats a very detailed write up. Nice work and continue the fun with the car

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Nice write up man. Great looking car. I just wanna it!

jEzTeR

Thanks Everyone!

The 350z is the only car for me right now!

jbrother
Car: 05 350z, 96 240sx, 75 280z

Hey...love to hear about Louisville. I lived there for over 3 years, now live in the DC area. Nice pics of your sunset Z in the bluegrass!! I just traded in my 2004 gto for a brand new 05 350z, redline touring model. I picked it up at carmax in baltimore. Anyway, take it easy! I wish I had met up with your bluegrass z club when I was there... here is a pic of my goat sitting next to my new z

jEzTeR

Nice trade.

I like the GTO too btw. Welcome to NICO. Once spring hits there will be some great meets and such. You will have to keep an eye on the regional section.

jbrother
Car: 05 350z, 96 240sx, 75 280z

Thanks. Yeah, I liked the GTO too, but if I had to have either the goat or the Z it was the Z, finally, after looking at them since they came out. If I had piles of money I would love to have both cars

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”