One Headlight only working on HIGH-BEAM

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
GoneFusion
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

I have a 2009 Nissan Versa and a weird headlight issue.
- The drivers side headlight works fine for the daytime running lights, low-beam and high-beam
- The passenger side headlight will ONLY work in HIGH. The daytime running lights and low-beams are not working. I have already tried to replace the bulb and that did not work.

Is there a fuse or relay associated with the headlights? I took a peak in the fuse panels but didn't see one labeled for the headlights... also if there are relays for the headlights, were would they be located?

I also read that it could be an issue with the switch on the steering column. If that is the case, is there a way to test this? Or do you think it would be covered under warranty? I live in Canada and have the basic manufactured warranty. Car is just over a year old now.

Thanks

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Wouldn't be a fuse or nothing would work.

Probably is the switch on the steering column. Should be covered under warranty.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

the switch would turn on both lights. It sends a signal to the BCM, which sends the signal to the IPDM under the hood, which then tells the relay to turn both lights on. They are not on the same fuse though. Each has a separate 15A fuse because of the DTRL. My guess is that the fuse for the RH Low/DTRL is blown. Has this always been that way since you bought it??

GoneFusion

Ok, so if its related to the fuse for the DTRL where would that be located? in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side? Also to answer your question, no this has not always been like this and just started a few months ago.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

This happened to me one day. I simply flicked the switch towards me and then the regular lights came on. But this did happen one day. I tried to turn on my lights and only my high beams were turning on. I think I had pushed the stalk towards me once before turning off the car and then the next day the lights would not come on.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

It's in the IPDM under the hood. If you don't know what that is, check out the "Where are my Fuses" at NissanversaTech.com

GoneFusion

I found the DTRL fuse under the hood on the drivers side, and it is NOT blown. Also i did find a small box on under the hood on the passenger side that has two relays in it. A black one with 6 pins and a blue one with 4 pins.. could these be the headlight relays? Does anyone know what these could be and how i would test them? Or any other suggestions would be great

Thanks

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

Promise Land wrote:It's in the IPDM under the hood. If you don't know what that is, check out the "Where are my Fuses" at NissanversaTech.com

I really hate the engineers that created the upside down fuses in our cars(under the hood).....what were they thinking.... :gotme

barbarita
Car: nissa versa 08 hatchback

HI guys,
I have the same problem on the driver's side. I've checked everything, bulb. all fuse boxes, dtrl, I even removed tape and housing of the wiring leading up to it and checked for moisture/rust/frays.... starting to get hopeless.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!!

ps: just because I am going to switch bulbs and see if by chance it works with the passenger bulb (doesn't appear to be burnt but I'm clueless)

barbarita
Car: nissa versa 08 hatchback

iluvmyVersa08 wrote:This happened to me one day. I simply flicked the switch towards me and then the regular lights came on. But this did happen one day. I tried to turn on my lights and only my high beams were turning on. I think I had pushed the stalk towards me once before turning off the car and then the next day the lights would not come on.
what switch are you talking about?

thanks!!

mrmont
Car: 2008 Versa SL hatchback CVT

Find the manuals for your car here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... nuals.html

and check out section LT for information on the lighting system. There are four fuses (separate high and low beams fuses for each headlight) and three relays (two separate high beam relays and one for both low beams) involved. There may be a problem with the headlight switch, any of the wiring involved, or of course a filament in either bulb could be burned out. Section LT should help guide you towards narrowing down where your problem might be, and a mutimeter is good to test things with.

kevintx28x
Car: NIssan Frontier 2001 SC

Looking for some clarification.

I have a 2001 Frontier SC (USA)

My High beams work normal, but when switched to low beams, the driver side light turns off completely. ( Passenger side functions normal)

There is a lot in this thread about DTRL and a Headlight control module, but I'm confused about the implications for my vehicle as I do not have DTRL. Is the switch (In Steering Column) the most likely culprit?

Return to “Versa General Chat”