One click and won't crank, help.

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
mrbb008
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima SE

I have a 1998 Nissan Altima that will click once and not crank. My car broke the timing guides and sat for 2 years in the garage until I fixed it. I put fresh gas, fresh oil in it. What I've tried.

1. Battery is tested good. Pass test at O'Reilly. I also put the battery in my other car and starts that car fine. I put the other car battery in the Altima, same thing. One click and won't start.

2. I took starter out and tested ok. I connected battery directly to solenoid and motor and both work.

3. Neutral safety switch is aligned.

4. With starter in car, turn key and I see solenoid gets about 8-9v.

5. Fuses look ok.

Any suggestion of what it could be and what else can I test?

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

Can you turn the engine by hand (breaker bar and socket on main pulley)?

Check your earth straps for good (clean) contact with the body/engine, and make sure the bolts aren't loose.

mrbb008
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima SE

Ozzie wrote:Can you turn the engine by hand (breaker bar and socket on main pulley)?

Check your earth straps for good (clean) contact with the body/engine, and make sure the bolts aren't loose.
Yes, engine turns fine. That's what I've been told to check all connections and sensors are connected.

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

I wonder.... Can you get it to kick over if you run a test cable from the battery directly to the starter?
If it does, then it has to be a wiring issue.
If not, I'd suggest replacing the starter (even though it tested fine on the bench)

Return to “Altima General Discussions”