On a scale of nachos to hotogs how screwed am i?

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
counterfeitxerox
Car: 95 altima

quick run down then a detailed one

95 altima Manual trans. Open differential. Bought the car with no fith gear. After running AC sometimes trans would get "HOT" and lock trans in 3rd and 4th gear. Id wiggle the shifter after turning the car off and finally could get the shifter freed up to go through 1-4th again Last time it did that i was hearing a clicking noise and something was definately flopping around inside and HARD.

I decided to pull the tranny. I got pissed after getting EVERYTHING off expect for 2 bolts on the tranny mount that were on the bottom tranny crossmember towards the rear of the car. So I tried to pull the case. Bolts were easy to get to and easy to gett off. well in my stooper I take what im assuming was the reverse gear spring to seperate the case from trans and some other undescrribed object falls out.(Pics) I need to now put these pieces back in because i found the problem. I will figure that out tom after i get the tranny out even if I have to just dropo the whole crossmember the get the bottom mounting bracket off, but looking at it through the axle hole looks like a solid metal rod not sure how long it is but looks about a half inch wide. that had to b rubbing against my axle making that horrible sound.
Questions
What can i do to get the bottom trans bracket off or do I need to drop the crossmember?
What is the part pictured how hard is it to get back in and can I hook the what im guessing is the reverse spring back up with out pulling the case completely off?
Any help is appreciated.
If someone is willing to help me along the way I will donate a nominal amount to this site and to them ;) (10 bux or somtheing)
The FSM section is great Mods THANKS!
Matt

counterfeitxerox

UPDATE: got the trans out. just dropped the crossmember. Now the fun begins! time to crack inside this puppy and figure out wtf is going on. again thanks MODS for the FSM section!

counterfeitxerox

Also if I cant get this thing fixed what all goes into converting a manual to automatic? The junkyard has PLENTY of automatics but not a single manual.... :c

davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

sounds like old or no oil causing bad things

counterfeitxerox

well i bought a re mannned trans and have put it all back together. just gotta slap the axles and wheels on and see if i bought a winner! I plan to b very active on this forum for the first gen altima and help anyone i can.

counterfeitxerox

AAANNNNDDDD YEP! i got a good trans and am a humming on down the road. Problem is I am having a hard shaker from what feels like alot of engine rock like the mounts are worn out, lookse, or the bottom crossmember is bent or something? IDK I still have to investigate this issue

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Most Altimas have a bad upper engine mount, but you'd know which ones are bad by seeing torn rubber. Congratulations on doing the transmission!

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”