OMG... Infiniti studio on wheels- Bose

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
lucidd
Car: 2007 g35 sport

Ok...Now I'm pissed!Sorry for my tone.I'm just really angry with Bose and this sound system. It's better than let's say a Honda fit's system... But it really sounds bad. Originally when I got the car, I already had reservations on some missing/ & sounds that are " muffed"....

I don't blame nissan and all the other car companies that choose this so called name " Bose " zzzz... It helps them keep costs down , make more $$, and ...

Disappointed.My 1000$ mix and matched home theatre system sounds better-fuller sound spectrum/// alot fuller and clearer than this crappy Bose system!

L

AGREE OR DISAGREE???

- yes- no
Modified by lucidd at 1:27 PM 4/29/2009

infg35coupe
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

whats the question????

Focusedintntions
Car: 07 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6mt

If i remember correctly...the bose system in our cars aren't bose components...clarion i think...anyways it's just a "bose certified" system...which is BS considering it's a high end car..

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Focusedintntions wrote:If i remember correctly...the bose system in our cars aren't bose components...clarion i think...anyways it's just a "bose certified" system...which is BS considering it's a high end car..
Pretty much - bose sets it up, but doesn't use their stuff.

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

my car rattles like there is no tomorrow, and yeah, I have heard better stereo in my old civic.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

zozoka1212 wrote:I like mine.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/fea....html
I like it for the most part as well. I think that the real issue is what is expected. This does not deliver the bass that separates all the welds in your trunk, nor does it deliver the highs that will crack the glass. Instead what it delivers is something more accurate than what many have come to expect and that is where it seems to be a failure.

For me the two improvements would be a little more control over the various bass, midrange, and treble settings. This is not unusual for a Bose system however as many of there products are limited in this way which I can understand if your concept is to reproduce it accurately.

The second improvement has to do with the car itself. At this level it should have a little bit better sound deadening, that is elimination of buzz from the speakers in the doors as an example.

Perry

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I love mine...with the addition of a subwoofer system pushed by an 1800W amp

lucidd

Accuracy?? There is none. This system- 07g35s Infin-Bose studio on wheels has been hyped up- to be all that (read Bose's aspirations for this system. Meets very few of them.

I've tried everything to make the sound full- without the shreaks of bad treble (nowhere NEAR high enough) and missing mid-frequencies. I do know that bose has designed the head unit to reproduce their version of pleasing sound--- but because of the cheap speakers chosen, it can only do so much/ the result is a synthesized, muffled voices and extremely low quality sounding -shreak-treble.I do have a 200w 10" kicker subwoofer in enclosed box added... So the bass is fine. It's just everything else... That is now impossible to replace- since this system supports only 1ohms- LOL whereas all others are standard 4ohms...

Now I'm stuck with this (in my opinion) low quality, overhyped Bose crap. L
Modified by lucidd at 1:21 PM 4/29/2009

lucidd

PS. more control = graphic eq won't do anything.The problem lies in the speaker quality.The speaker type/ quality is limited to a certain sound depth. They have a very limited depth.

Bose has already maximized this depth... for the head unit is geared towards maximizing these speakers.

The Burr Brown 24bit DAC sound processor unit is a decent one on paper... but when coupled with cheap speakers, it doesn't matter what you send to it. If they cannot reproduce a certain sound - it just won't do it.= it's like sending a 1000dpi image or a 10megapixel image to a cheap b/w laserprinter capable of only 600dpi max... No matter what you send to it, it would only print at 600dpi.In this case - at least you can change printers. But with my car - there is no option... for these speakers are 1ohm -a non standard type of speaker. --Unless, I replace everything - which means the LCD screen won't work.... and the navi won't either. SUX!

L

lucidd

Accuracy?? There is none. This system- 07g35s Infin-Bose studio on wheels has been hyped up- to be all that (read Bose's aspirations for this system. Meets very few of them.

I've tried everything to make the sound full- without the shreaks of bad treble (nowhere NEAR high enough) and missing mid-frequencies. I do know that bose has designed the head unit to reproduce their version of pleasing sound--- but because of the cheap speakers chosen, it can only do so much/ the result is a synthesized, muffled voices and extremely low quality sounding treble.I do have a 200w 10" kicker subwoofer in enclosed box added... So the bass is fine. It's just everything else... That is now impossible to replace- since this system supports only 1ohms- LOL whereas all others are standard 4ohms...

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:Accuracy?? There is none. This system- 07g35s Infin-Bose studio on wheels has been hyped up- to be all that (read Bose's aspirations for this system. Meets very few of them.

I've tried everything to make the sound full- without the shreaks of bad treble (nowhere NEAR high enough) and missing mid-frequencies. I do know that bose has designed the head unit to reproduce their version of pleasing sound--- but because of the cheap speakers chosen, it can only do so much/ the result is a synthesized, muffled voices and extremely low quality sounding treble.I do have a 200w 10" kicker subwoofer in enclosed box added... So the bass is fine. It's just everything else... That is now impossible to replace- since this system supports only 1ohms- LOL whereas all others are standard 4ohms...

Actually I believe it is 2 ohms. If you want to replace the speakers you can do that, have to impedance match them to do so correctly. On the other hand I would not be surprised if you can replace the amp and the speakers if desired. From what I see the input to the onboard amp is pretty much standard. To do this right you probably should replace the wires as well.

However if you take a good studio mike and hook it up to an oscilloscope you may find that it performs better than anticipated and response is actually pretty flat.

These specs are pretty good:

0.0037 percent THD and a dynamic range of 100dB

I challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between 0 and 2% THD in a non studio environment.

Perry

Joey666Crack
Car: 06 G35 Coupe

I got my G used with the Bose and was kind of stoked about having it, and not having to install my own system. I really don't see what the big deal about it is. Personally it's nice to have but if I was buying a new 09' I wouldn't pay the extra grand or so to have it as an option.

pfarmer

Joey666Crack wrote:I got my G used with the Bose and was kind of stoked about having it, and not having to install my own system. I really don't see what the big deal about it is. Personally it's nice to have but if I was buying a new 09' I wouldn't pay the extra grand or so to have it as an option.
First off my personal opinion of the system is simply that I believe it sounds very accurate and most users who complain about it are the type that like to have their welds break and their glass shatter. Of course what type of music really comes into play.

Putting that aside and then you also have to think about the rest of the packages as well. The navigation and so on. There is something to be said about the integration. If you really want to customize then you could go maybe with the stock system or rather yet nothing if possible. From there I would go with a carputer and create everything from scratch.

Not willing to do that at this point then I'll take what I consider as an accurate sound system that is part of a larger package. I believe it could have better sound deadening (my doors will sometimes buzz) and I am sure after a few years the speakers like most stock speakers will show their age. So as a compromise what I would do is see about replacing those parts of the system such as the amps and the speakers which all seem feasible to do. If you want a little more control then that can be done as well, all the way to using the aux inputs to use as an interface for your equalization controls. All of this without giving up the larger package.

Perry

Joey666Crack
Car: 06 G35 Coupe

Oh, I wasn't aware that the Bose came in parallel with the navigation. I am in love with the pop up screen with the gas mpg and other misc features.

lucidd

Ok... I'll admit it, I'm expecting too much from this stock Infiniti-Bose ... But forget about gutting my g and paying a few grand to get what I thought came with the car- a decent system that is capable of decent sound reproduction... My girlfriend's camry sounds clearer!

I just wish Infiniti/Bose didn't hype it up - comparing and stating that it was designed after a $100,000 home studio sound system. False advertising??

Ok, now I feel like the only one that thinks this system is unacceptable.

Bottom line is that I will NEVER get another car with a Bose system or no option to go with another brand like marklevinson, harmonkardon, nakamichi...

I'm giving up my car when lease is over... If the 2011 g has no option to a better name, I'm going with lexus or even bmw(omg)! This is the one that broke the camels back--- I hve many complaints about this car... All of them are "acceptable"... This isn't- imho*

Sorry Infiniti,nissan, hope you are listening!

pfarmer

Joey666Crack wrote:Oh, I wasn't aware that the Bose came in parallel with the navigation. I am in love with the pop up screen with the gas mpg and other misc features.
You have the 2006. I think the poster's 07 is the same as my 08 and the same as the 09, I don't know about the 06. I have the 09 option list and it is the same for both the coupe and sedan. To get the technology package you need the navigation package. To get the navigation package you need the premium package. The premium package gives you the Bose. I have all of these packages so the Bose just happens to come as part of it. I just so happen to also like the sound system with the exceptions I mentioned, which would also exist with the regular system as well.

It would be nice if certain aspects of this thing could have come separately.

One problem I see with this is the same with most cars and with most of the electronics as well. Say I really like this car to the point of wanting to keep it forever, just like the neighbor with a 53 Chevy. What do you do in a few years when the electronics fail? To me we are seeing possibly the end to what I call 'classic cars'. Maybe you could roll your own computer and replace the electronics, but still would not be the same as the original. Maybe could do this for the engine but I find the transmission and in my case AWD could be interesting to try to keep going 10 years down the road. Sort of makes me think about considering finding myself a 69 Charger as soon as possible.

Perry

Perry

lucidd

ok... Good at least I'm not the only one that thinks this way;)

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Just wondering what kind of music do you have. I never use anything like 128k. Maybe that is the problem. Around 200 it is really clear.

Have you tried to test it? Of course yours not stock anymore.

Try this

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd

lucidd

Cool, thanks for the link! I'll definitely give it a try.

My music is usually above 196kbps... Some even at 320kbps. I've had a few 128 and yes it does make a difference.

Thx for input guys;)

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:PS. more control = graphic eq won't do anything.The problem lies in the speaker quality.The speaker type/ quality is limited to a certain sound depth. They have a very limited depth.

Bose has already maximized this depth... for the head unit is geared towards maximizing these speakers.

The Burr Brown 24bit DAC sound processor unit is a decent one on paper... but when coupled with cheap speakers, it doesn't matter what you send to it. If they cannot reproduce a certain sound - it just won't do it.= it's like sending a 1000dpi image or a 10megapixel image to a cheap b/w laserprinter capable of only 600dpi max... No matter what you send to it, it would only print at 600dpi.In this case - at least you can change printers. But with my car - there is no option... for these speakers are 1ohm -a non standard type of speaker. --Unless, I replace everything - which means the LCD screen won't work.... and the navi won't either. SUX!

L
Well it appears you may not know exactly what is the perceived weak link in the system. That is you state it is the speakers which can be a pretty good guess since stock speakers often become an issue as the car ages and the stock speakers are exposed to the elements and start to fail. The material used in the cones, the spiders, and so on typically are not up to what is available with aftermarker units.

On the other hand the weak link could be the amp (which I doubt based on specs). Also I think the impedence is 2 ohms but then it doesn't matter if it is 1 ohm or 2 ohm when it comes to replacement of this part of the system.

Looking at the system using the manuals it appears feasible to replace the speakers and the amp(s) with another set which others have stated having done.

As far as a 600 dpi printer being cheap make a guess at what all of those wonderful Life magazine pictures that everyone tries to emulate were printed at. When thinking about a 10 mega pixel camera consider that the camera contained in the Spirit rover is only about 1/7 of what Life Magazine printed at and only about 1/29th that of the 600 dpi example.

I bet if I was able to test the hearing of most on this forum that they can't hear what the Bose system is capable of delivering even with those 'cheap xxx' speakers.

While that may be, the fact is if someone really wants to upgrade their system while maintaining their head unit it certainly appears to be something not all that tough for the newer 'G'.

I would start with the amp simply for making the rest of the job easier even if the amp itself is satisfactory. This would allow a greater selection of speakers. I would add in replacement wiring as necessary, my experience is that it will be necessary. Then match the speakers to amp.

Between the stock head unit and new amp would be a equalizer with a video interface that could be fed through the aux inputs of the head unit for display. To this I would maintain the stock logic for aux display with the car in motion for the normal aux inputs while allowing adjustment at speed for the equalizer. Since I don't smoke these controls could sit under that little used trap door on the console.

This may seem like a big job but in reality it looks fairly straight forward without compromisine the rest of the features of the a/v system or navigation.

In fact most of the hard work involved would be what I think needs to be addressed in the system anyway and that is proper sound deadening in the doors.

Perry
Modified by pfarmer at 1:55 PM 4/30/2009

lucidd

Perry,

I don't want to make this a debate or anything...But - I understand that when I first listened to this system - I thought it sounded great --- partially because of the hype around this 07-G + the new Studio On Wheels thing.

Bottom line: compare this system - 07+ Infin,Bose studio on wheels system with the competition. \''\\ like Lexus is350 - and its Mark and Levinson premium system...\\or.. better yet - the BMW 335i's premium Harmon Kardon Logic 7.Bottom line - I've heard them all and the Bose is the worst - Don't believe me, check it out.

Anyways, I'm not an audio expert. --- but I've been in the PRINTING industry for over 15yrs. So... FYI --- all images printed in any magazine - 300+dpi is standard - and i'll explain more later - at work :P

L

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

No highs and no lows... must be BOSE.

I haven't ever heard a BOSE car stereo system that was worth anything.

First thing I changed out. I'm sure the new setup is somewhat better, but BOSE sucks. The only thing worth a damn is their very high end stuff...and I can show you other stuff for the same price which is way better.

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:Perry,

I don't want to make this a debate or anything...But - I understand that when I first listened to this system - I thought it sounded great --- partially because of the hype around this 07-G + the new Studio On Wheels thing.

Bottom line: compare this system - 07+ Infin,Bose studio on wheels system with the competition. \''\\ like Lexus is350 - and its Mark and Levinson premium system...\\or.. better yet - the BMW 335i's premium Harmon Kardon Logic 7.Bottom line - I've heard them all and the Bose is the worst - Don't believe me, check it out.

Anyways, I'm not an audio expert. --- but I've been in the PRINTING industry for over 15yrs. So... FYI --- all images printed in any magazine - 300+dpi is standard - and i'll explain more later - at work :P

L
The point being in sound it is one of perception when it comes to accuracy. If you set up a studio mike and watch the result I believe you will see that the Bose is relatively flat, which is what makes it sound bad to many who expect bass that causes your neighbor up the street to secure his book cases to the wall and highs that cause him to put newspapers between his fine china plates.

But still you most likely can fix the main issues such as the speakers and amp fairly easily. And as is the case every integrated system has it compromises including the BMWs with their often panned iDrive. The fact is from a standpoint of pricing you actually have close to 10 grand to play with to upgrade your audio system and several other items to something that would far surpass the others mention.

You don't have to explain it. I have been doing triple that with photography. for your example you need about 7.2 megapixels for resolution but more important than that is the analogy to sound - dynamic range, which is what separates the cheap 10 megapixel camera from the expensive 1 megapixel camera. Of course most of us would not want to carry a camera around with a ccd the size of a large book.

Perry

lucidd

So just fyi- as a printing expert, you are incorrect in asuning that the magazine prints at 1/29 of the 600dpi. When in fact, all pictures in magazines (unless it has low quality pixelsted look)... Is printed with pictures with a resolution of over 300dpi. This is fact. And actually- today alot of the publications use Stoicato screening- which needs-utilizes a higher resolution- about 600dpi images can yeild better results- in comparison to lower res.

Besides- my example was metaphor- sending too much info-like 1000dpi (too much info) to a 600dpi printer- you will get 600 no matter what.

mrsmithGrider
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Umm I dont care too much for the printing bizz, but I am an audiophile and for the most part bose is very basic. I must clarify i'm not the type to need bass that would rattle my trunk or highs that would break glass, but i expected so much from a company that I have supported for the last five years. My dads 1993 Q45 bose audio system sounded three times better than my 2003 bose system. They were much clearer and had a wider range in sound. Whats is equally important to note is that the sound is worse if u sit in the passenger seat and even worse than that if you sit in the back seat with the music playing. They have designed the sound system to sound the best to the driver (my poor passangers ..... IF you sit in the back seat with a song playing that has bass you hear how over exerted the rear subwoofer is.....makes you wish they had a 10 in instead of an 8 inch.....the highs in the rear speakers are non existent and the little tweeters in the front speakers almost sound as if they barely work. All in all i would give our system a 6.5 on a ten scale. But for a bose system i would give it a 5 out of 10. I have the bose in ear head phones which are the best hands DOWN!! and I have the bose home entertainment system at home which although it is very expensive is worth it. Our systems dont live up to the name....I would rather they charge another 500 dollars and bose actually design and use bose parts in our cars.

lucidd

Well... I'm not looking for "neighbor complaining" bass, or china breaking and shaking highs...

I only want what I was sold on and paid for. . . Which is like I sed b4- claims from Bose/Infiniti: a system that compares to a $100k system .

And no, I'm not spending any $ on upgrades... I'm just going to have to live with it till my lease ends. And like I sed b4, for my next car, I'm going for another premium brand like lexus or even acura if Bose continues to b Infiniti's choice for audio.

And flat sound??? Flat curve for sound_ acurate sound is what I'm looking for... And trust me, Bose plays with the sound more than any other company to force their BUDGET paper scones to "sound pleasing" and "sound accurate" - when it really isn't!

Perry. Here's the thing... U just got ur car, and inknow how u feel... That this car is "perfect" for u. And prob after reading and researching the car before or after purchasing, you prob read Bose:Infin's hyping up "studio on wheels" great sound- blah blah...Now your hearing : denying my negativity. It's ok, I understand cuz I'd do the same during my first prideful yr of ownership:)

But no one has to take my words... Cuz yes. Ur rite, sound accuracy can b subjective... So I challenge anyone to compare this Bose system to any or all of the above competition . Take a mp3 cd and listen high,low volumes, play with settings etc... And if you don't think Bose has to go!... Then I'll take all my words back.

You see, it's all relative- it's like comparing photos printed from printer A- then u may think- wow looks good!---- then you get presented another photo from printer B--- and now u can say which is better... And if the 2 printers are about the same price-- you'd go with the better one---IRRegardless of how the manufacturers explain why their product is choice...::::;;::;;;; well furthermore, because I already have the pos bozo s***on wheels... And had no other choice at time of purchase, ---I feel ripped off...and a victim of false advertising.

Peace;)

mrsmithGrider
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan

well acura uses bose as well so no luck there... I wouldnt change my car for a medicore audio system....I didnt buy my car for the sound system ...I bought my car for the looks, sexyness, performance and ive always been a nissan/infiniti fan. My family have always babied our cars when it came to maintenance and driven our cars very hard. My next car will probally be a Infiniti G50?? hopefully lol, but that will probaly be in 6 more years. I have plenty life left in my car (fingers crossed). Although I share your criticism with our sound system its hardly enough to Arlen Specter over and get a lexus or or acura .

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:Well... I'm not looking for "neighbor complaining" bass, or china breaking and shaking highs...

I only want what I was sold on and paid for. . . Which is like I sed b4- claims from Bose/Infiniti: a system that compares to a $100k system .

And flat sound??? Flat curve for sound_ acurate sound is what I'm looking for... And trust me, Bose plays with the sound more than any other company to force their BUDGET paper scones to "sound pleasing" and "sound accurate" - when it really isn't!

Perry. Here's the thing... U just got ur car, and inknow how u feel... That this car is "perfect" for u.

But no one has to take my words... Cuz yes. Ur rite, sound accuracy can b subjective... So I challenge anyone to compare this Bose system to any or all of the above competition . Take a mp3 cd and listen high,low volumes, play with settings etc... And if you don't think Bose has to go!... Then I'll take all my words back.

You see, it's all relative- it's like comparing photos printed from printer A- then u may think- wow looks good!---- then you get presented another photo from printer B--- and now u can say which is better... And if the 2 printers are about the same price-- you'd go with the better one---IRRegardless of how the manufacturers explain why their product is choice...::::;;::;;;; well furthermore, because I already have the pos bozo s***on wheels... And had no other choice at time of purchase, ---I feel ripped off...and a victim of false advertising.

Peace;)
So if I get this right you think you have been ripped off for not having a 100k sound system in a 40 k car. The fact is I didn't bother even researching the sound system before testing out the car. I have however been putting sound systems in cars for the best part of the last 40 years. No this one isn't the best that could have been put into the car but when you consider the price point of this car with everything it has to offer the sound system is actually fairly good.

When I said flat I didn't say flat curve which doesn't exist except in the time fabric of space. What I stated was that you would find that the system is probably fairly flat if you used a studio quality mike and observed it.

Basically if I injected a signal of this frequency and amplitude that it would come out pretty close in regard to its input. Input signals across the spectrum and it would pretty much follow in a flat plane. Many like to hear a little bit higher highs and lower lows, but that doesn't mean that is how the sound was when it was recorded. This is typical of Bose, the comment about no highs and no lows, must be Bose is pretty close to what the perception of what I hear from most Bose systems if that is what you are looking for. What you will typically find is very low THD, in fact far lower than what the typical user can hear. What you will also find is a very good dynamic range, in this case it appears to be about 100 db.

The fault I see with this system compared to aftermarket is the inability of tweaking this which becomes even more important the older you get. How many with this capability do no use it to boost something.

The fact is mp3 is not the best example of a sound source for testing purposes, it already has been degraded to a certain extent. I was raised on quality vinyl and the best of which were direct to disk recordings and I haven't heard anything that compares to those in the way of cds, let alone mp3s.

Yes the speakers are probably fairly cheap in comparison to aftermarket but that is typical of stock units. Save 10 bucks on a car and you save 100 million and that is how the business works. We may state we would pay more and 'we' may, but the fact is that with the features this car has, most will jump in, crank up the system and state, 'you know it sounds pretty good'. The best sound comes when you turn the sound system off and listen to the real music.

The fact is that it would not have taken me a year to find the system to be poor, in fact it would have taken me a few minutes since one thing I do go to a dealer with is a pack of about 5 cds to see how the system responds to various reference pieces. Basically I use something like The Beatles White album, Dark Side Of the Moon, Fresh Aire II, Steve McDonald, and some country so you can see a wide representation.

It came out pretty good, not as good as my system in my other car which consists of (2) 5 channel amps for a total of about 1000 watts rms, with a 200 watt rms sub wolfer, a set of Infinity components for each door, and equalizers. But then that would have added a couple of grand to the car and would most likely cut sales. On the other hand I could if I desired to take these same components and put them in the 'G' with no more effort than it took me for that install.

Perry

Modified by pfarmer at 10:10 PM 4/30/2009

lucidd

nope- acura has ELS-panasonic in their TL and TSX. The RL has Bose- but the RL is too mute for my taste anyways...

I agree- no one really buys a car for the sound system. But we can all agree that everyone has different priorities. And mine has shifted from- all sporty-speed-power factor---> now more comfort-quality-convenience-and reliability factor... If I wanted all sports---> I'd go for the bmw335i.

Don't get me wrong, I still do like speed and power--- just looking for some more inner strength.

L

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”