old z31 vg30e

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
SteveRB240sx
Car: 1990 240sx -R32 RB26Dett powered.

Well i have a old z31, and b4 i pull out the vg30e im going to be running it on the track a few times with its 26 year old engine that i have no idea just what kind of condition its in, im basically the 5th owner i think.

So i was wondering what weight oil i should use since im going to be running it hard.Normal calls for 10w30 or 10w40, should i run something like a straight 40?And my buddy thinks i should run Castrol GTX in it, since its older.

Any tips would be great, i posted this in the general z forums, but apparently no one runs their z hard ..

SteveRB240sx
Car: 1990 240sx -R32 RB26Dett powered.

Thanks anyways, ill prob swap a KA or RB into the Z anyways, at least its a better engine.

Modified by SteveRB240sx at 6:48 AM 3/24/2010

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Hate to see your thread go unanswered. VG forum is so slow moving, it's like nobody even looks at it.

As far as a KA or an RB being a better engine, an RB is probably is, but a KA is in the same social class as a VG if you ask me. RB has the exotique thing going on (at least to a KA-E powered truck owner like me).

I don't see what is so bad about a SOHC VG30. The bottom end is forged(like essentially every other relatively modern Nissan engine out there) and is very strong.

As for the condition it is in a compression test would be the best thing, like on any other motor.

You could run straight oil in any engine if you are going to keep the temperature in the same spot, like racing would do. I'm not even a racer and I am quite sure of this. 30 or 40 weight, I don't know which would be better. 40 weight might be overkill, or it might not be.

Halient
Car: Various Z32's
SC300 - yes its a 2jz :D

if you have a Z31 and dont want to stick with stock why not go with a 1jz-gte or dare i say 2jz-gte I work on VG30DE and DE-TT all day and have to say that they are the most overly complicated motors I have ever delt with. I actually built a 89 Turbo with a 2jz-gte T66 a couple years back and that was a monster and easy to work on

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”