Old VW Beetle...

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Does anyone know what older VW beetles go for?

There is a house in my parent's neighborhood that has an old beetle (rectangular rear window) in the driveway. It sat for a long time, so I wasn't sure if it ran, but I was always tempted to make an offer for it. I've seen if move now (never seen it run, though) and it has air in all the tires suddenly, so I think it runs.

That got me thinking...I need a cheap, inexpenive to insure, low gas milage car to commute in. Seems like the Beetle is exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyone know what kind of milage they get? How expensive they are to maintain (I'd imagine very very very cheap, but I don't really know)? How about tires...they're an oddball size...I bet they're expensive. Anyone know?

I think it'd be fun to have a beetle--always been a car I wanted just for screwing around. It's the kind of car you can get away with tuning in your garage...getting rid of the air cleaner...no exhaust (most or all are to old to need to pass emissions. ) and with some wide tires and the low stance, they look hot.

I want one.

Unfortunately I can't find a blue book for one since KBB doesn't believe cars older than 1985 matter.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Is it the split window? My neigbour has one of those. He actually bought it when the price was at its peak-that was when the "new beetle" was introduced. They've come down a bit.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

No idea. Why not find a Beetle forum and "search".

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

haha...

they're rising in price some...they're becoming good collectibles being as a lot have been killed....

depending on the shape of the car...anywhere from 800-6000 you'll find them....

I want one with an older 911 motor in it.

or a baja bug.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

repo man wrote:No idea. Why not find a Beetle forum and "search".
You mean there are forums for other cars than Nissans! *gasp*!?

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

I aint got a clue either.

And Mr1der, I had a friend that was always wanting to put a Porsche (no I cant spell).

Anyway, I aint paying over $500 for no old butt beetle. I dont care what they are worth.

Mr1der

ever driven or ridden in one?

awesome cars in adverse winter conditions.

and you can make that little flat four haul a** with some work.

Jesda

Sold:http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/71532214.html

I wanted to look at it, but oh well. There's interior pics on their web site.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

[You might wanna drive one before jumping into one. My wife's first car was a beetle. They are very cheap to repair, they float in water, and the door seals are so good that your ears will pop if you slam the doors with the windows shut. On the downside, but they are very underpowered, very spartan, heaters/defrosters suck, not particularly comfortable, makes instantaneous lane changes in mild crosswinds.

I would suggest a Karman Ghia before a beetle. Much more stylish.

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

Well, it still better than my Metro, no matter what the problem is.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Bubba1 wrote:[You might wanna drive one before jumping into one. My wife's first car was a beetle. They are very cheap to repair, they float in water, and the door seals are so good that your ears will pop if you slam the doors with the windows shut. On the downside, but they are very underpowered, very spartan, heaters/defrosters suck, not particularly comfortable, makes instantaneous lane changes in mild crosswinds.

I would suggest a Karman Ghia before a beetle. Much more stylish.
Oh, don't worry. Between myself and my father, there's enough Beetle knowledge to build them in our sleep. He owned no less than four before the age of 20. Two of them became very capable offroad.

I like Karman Ghias, but I really like the beetle's looks better. the KG is also MUCH harder to find, and much more expensive.

What I was looking for (I don't think I'll be picking one up at those prices. I was hoping I'd find that they are regularly available for under $1000--maybe 500 needing a bit of work (a BIG job on a beetle is like a tiny job on a modern car. There's nothing to them.) was a car that I could pick up dirt cheap, get running and registered and insured dirt cheap, and commute to and from work every day for dirt cheap. Plus they look good. I was going to get some of these (but in four lug, obvously) and probably mess with the engine a bit (pre emissions laws car) and other than that, it'd be just a commuter car.

The Mic
Car: 3Z Wmb

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Does anyone know what older VW beetles go for?
You mean a Volkswagen Bug right? The Beetles are the redesigned, newer, gayer ones. ; )

I remember people wouldn't stop mourning the Volkswagen Bug ever since the last one rolled off the assembly line not too long ago. There was nonstop nostalgia for what always was a cramped, uncomfortable, noisy little s***! To be missed only by brain-dead hippies and Hitler’s relatives who still get a royalty. Mourning the Bug is like getting wistful about dentistry before novocaine or dating before penicillin. You want to buy a bug? Come down here and go to Venice beach, you can get one there for forty bucks!

Mr1der

the original was the Beetle too...

go drive a Baja Bug....

they're awesome!

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The Mic wrote:You mean a Volkswagen Bug right? The Beetles are the redesigned, newer, gayer ones. ; )

I remember people wouldn't stop mourning the Volkswagen Bug ever since the last one rolled off the assembly line not too long ago. There was nonstop nostalgia for what always was a cramped, uncomfortable, noisy little s***! To be missed only by brain-dead hippies and Hitler’s relatives who still get a royalty. Mourning the Bug is like getting wistful about dentistry before novocaine or dating before penicillin. You want to buy a bug? Come down here and go to Venice beach, you can get one there for forty bucks!
I'll stay away from venice beach. I don't like snipers.

And the original was the Beetle. Bug is a nickname it got later. The new ones are called New Beetle. Yes, "New" is part of the name.

And who says I'm mourning? I saw a disused one, got thinking maybe they were cheap, and since I know them to be easy and cheap to maintain, I figured it'd be a good commuter car. No different than a Metro, except it's more fun to work on, and would look hot with some decent offset wheels.

The Mic

I didn't say you were. I was just made a comment on when I remembered when it was.

Beetle, bug. Same s*** can

Beetle B0rgs!

Mr1der

note to self, learn the force.

the force punch mike in the nuts.

The Mic

Thats me in the blue saying "I'll give you a nut tap you wont forget, BIATCH!"

Mr1der

you would dress like a fag wouldn't ya....wait...you worked at the gap...we all know that already...

The Mic

You think the blue beetle borg is gay??

1nder likes getting his s*** pushed in.

Oh, I just did miscellaneous maintainace and putting away clothes. So I usually dressed with a dockers and a t-shirt. I didn't get to work the register, that's reserved for better looking people.

Modified by The Mic at 5:58 PM 6/10/2005

Mr1der

rofl...you're ugly and the GAP said so!

sue them my son...sue.

The Mic

Uhh.... you're an ugly f*** too.

e-sarcasm is truly a difficult art to master.

Who wants to serve a bunch of fag limies at the Gap anyway, I kept getting invited to have fish & chips, just because they wanted to "talk" to an american guy
Modified by The Mic at 11:07 PM 6/10/2005

Jesda

Do they think your accent is exotic? Americans think people with British accents are smarter. So I guess they think Americans are... (Ive never watched the OC)

Mr1der

The Mic wrote:Uhh.... you're an ugly f*** too.

e-sarcasm is truly a difficult art to master.

Who wants to serve a bunch of fag limies at the Gap anyway, I kept getting invited to have fish & chips, just because they wanted to "talk" to an american guy
any of them hot?

gabossie
Car: Your mom

Brittish? Hot?... not likely

Bubba1
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Oh, don't worry. Between myself and my father, there's enough Beetle knowledge to build them in our sleep. He owned no less than four before the age of 20. Two of them became very capable offroad.

I like Karman Ghias, but I really like the beetle's looks better. the KG is also MUCH harder to find, and much more expensive.

What I was looking for (I don't think I'll be picking one up at those prices. I was hoping I'd find that they are regularly available for under $1000--maybe 500 needing a bit of work (a BIG job on a beetle is like a tiny job on a modern car. There's nothing to them.) was a car that I could pick up dirt cheap, get running and registered and insured dirt cheap, and commute to and from work every day for dirt cheap. Plus they look good. I was going to get some of these (but in four lug, obvously) and probably mess with the engine a bit (pre emissions laws car) and other than that, it'd be just a commuter car.
I never considered the old beetles attractive, but they were definitely cool. My family had a few air-cooled Veedubs over the years. My brother had an old Squareback, which I really liked, a first cousin with a 411, an interesting but trouble prone car, and an uncle with an original microbus (camper package). Very cool vehicle.

Goodluck in your bug hunt

The Mic

Yeah. Brits are like Pierce Brosnan or Jude Law ugly.

Bubba1
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

The Mic wrote:Yeah. Brits are like Pierce Brosnan or Jude Law ugly.
You find Pierce Brosnan and Jude Law cute? (ahem)

The Mic

f*** you guys. Hot guys WERE hitting on me.

Finding them cute would find them attractive to me, which as i said, they aren't. Bleh.

Modified by The Mic at 11:00 AM 6/12/2005

Mr1der

goddamn you're gay.

The Mic

you're a flaming f*****.

Digging deeper and deeper...

Return to “Others”