Okay Greg, here I am

While the Patrol was imported to the US in limited numbers, it was much more prevalent worldwide!
RiverPatrol
Car: Patrols, lots of them

I can't believe that I am creating the first post in this category on this long running, world famous forum! (Where's the utter shock smilie? Okay, this one will have to do…) :wtf2: Are our beloved Patrols that obscure even in Nicoland?

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I have a Patrol. Well, I have a few Patrols. Some of you know me, some of you have met me. But obviously most of you don't even know what a Patrol is. Look at my sig pic, that's one. Recognize it? It was the Patrol used in the Dream Garage ad campaign that Nissan did back in the '90's. Oh, you're all to young to remember. (Can't find an appropriate smilie to punctuate that with, either.) I actually own that Patrol now, too.

So I guess I'm here talking to myself? Not unusual. Is there an echo in here? Hello?

This is a Patrol...:

…and this is a Patrol on steroids:

If you'd like to learn a lot more about Patrols, click on my sig pic. Sorry, shameless plug. Moderate if I have sinned.

Oh yeah, the reason I'm here. Greg Childs posted a comment on BaT that he'd like to talk, but didn't leave contact info. (Go figure.) So I'm leaving mine. I'm Leslie.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hi Leslie, welcome aboard!

Actually, we had a pretty good Patrol following here for several years - we took over a smaller forum, and migrated all the posts. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the prior owner, and the rest is history.

We're in the process of setting up patrolforum.com (as well as nissanpatrolforum.com), because we've had some interest both locally and abroad. We've got the reach, we've got the resources, we've got [some of] the expertise, so it's happening!

Love your collection - I'm actually well-aware of the Patrol from the poster - My friend Les provided a lot of the vehicles for the shoot. I've got a few of the original prints in my Datsun memorabilia collection here at HQ. :)

The blue one in the BaT discussion was a joy to work on... I almost wish it hadn't sold, because it was a clean, unmolested example. I think it sold for WAY too little.

You're probably familiar with Eric Dixon from SoCal ROC (he has/had a few Patrols). Do you make it out to JCCS?

Sorry for the firehose of questions - it's always a pleasure meeting someone as die-hard as myself!

Thanks for popping in, Leslie - if you'd like, I'd love to have your input on patrolforum.com as we move forward. :)

RiverPatrol

Hi Greg!

Which Patrol forum? And what happened to all of the messages? I have a copy of the database of another Patrol forum that went defunct last year. Too touchy to do anything with it yet.

I stick strictly to the 60 series Patrol. I have dabbled in the G61, but not much further than that. But I'm always interested in seeing what's going on in other forums. I lurk a lot.

I've known Les for many years also. I told him I got the Dream Garage Patrol last year when I pulled it out of a junkyard. Last I knew about it, it was owned by a guy named Victor who lived in Covina, I think. I think Victor owned a Roadster. He showed up at a couple of local Datsun car shows, then he just disappeared. He had told me he had the Patrol, and we talked about sources for wheel cylinders. He was going to follow up with me but never did. I don't know what happened to him, or why the Patrol ended up in a junkyard. I was floored when I realized the Patrol in the junkyard was the Dream Garage Patrol. Needless to say, I hounded the powers that were at that junkyard until they finally acquiesced and let me have the Patrol. I've already put new tires on it, the same tires as in the poster. I plan on returning it to the same blue color as in the poster - it's gray now. Les said the Nissan wanted the Patrol blue, so they used PeelCoat to paint it. There are still a few hints of the PeelCoat left here and there on the truck.

I do get out to JCCS. I was there the first few years, but not the last few. Illness. I am contemplating going this year, but I just put my house up for sale so I don't know what's going to be happening in my life then - like moving or something. I'm still thinking about it though. I went to Shasta a couple of times before they stopped doing that. I haven't been to Williams yet but want to. Timing. Did you ever get to the Datsun Heritage Museum? My red Patrol was in the exhibit there, as well as the exhibit at the San Diego Automotive Museum.

I do know Eric. I first met him at JCCS. Then I just saw him a couple of months ago at the monthly meet they have - I took my RHD Patrol pickup.

I know we have mingled in the same circles, and most likely attended the same events. It would be great to connect with you and OD on Datsun talk.

Of course I'd be interested in the Patrol forum. Great talking! :wavey:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'm probably not at liberty to say on the old forum... probably the same reason. We've absorbed several forums that were mismanaged, or that ran out of money. We've got pretty unlimited space, and ample resources, so occasionally we'll get a forum owner reach out to us for help. I just like to make sure the valuable info remains accessible to folks.

Victor Laury had a stroke a couple years back, and was unable to drive his Roadster... it was raffled to help with his medical bills.

Williams is the best show of the year - bar none. It's a blast. I have pix of your red Patrol from the Heritage Museum.

We've probably bumped into each other at JCCS or another event - Here's my collection: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nicocl ... hilds.html

:)

RiverPatrol

Yeah, I get it about the other forum. Forum owners are so possessive. ;)

Sorry to hear about Victor's health. I figured it had to be something catastrophic like that. :frown:

I'll make Williams some day. Getting there is the difficult part. I lost my tow vehicle and auto trailer and the drive across the desert in a Patrol, without A/C, isn't a pleasant thought.

That is an outstanding collection of cars there, past and present. I really like that little red wagon. My collection doesn't have nearly the bling that your's does - I never got to the bodywork. Here is part of my current collection of Patrols: Image
Here is the Gallery of most of them: http://www.60patrol.com/forum/gallery/a ... album_id=1.

I don't have a catalogue of other current or past vehicles. My start in the world of Datsuns was a 1979 280SZ. I was with Group Z way back when. This is my current speed fix:

AZhitman
Administrator

You and I are gonna get along just fine. :)

What's the light-colored Patrol (lower left corner) with the extended rear? I love that!

RiverPatrol

AZhitman wrote: What's the light-colored Patrol (lower left corner) with the extended rear? I love that!
That Patrol is actually my favorite. It is a 1979 RHD pickup that I got on eBay in Australia. I wasn't really interested in importing any Patrols, but this one called to me. It was in very decent original condition; it hadn't been overly molested and it wasn't rusted out in the typical places. What really made it special was the extended bed though. First of all, Patrol utes with an actual pickup bed are rare in Australia; Patrol pickups are rare everywhere. Second, Nissan offered this extended bed for one year only: 1979, the last year of production for the 60 series Patrol. So, I ended up with it. And having friends in the right places made the import and registration easy. It is the only known extra long bed in the world. I know there was at least one other produced for the brochure - it was an LHD and no one has ever seen it. It probably went to Saudi and has since been scrapped and become a scud missile.

The truck has a custom built 4 speed transmission in it with an extra low gear. Forth gear is still 1:1 so it doesn't help much on the highway. Although, it does surprisingly well on the highway, probably due to the larger Stromberg carb, the headers and the really tall wheels and tires. It even has the original Clarion AM radio, that works. I have since removed the shell from the bed, so I use it as a pickup truck when I need one.

I recently drove it to Chatsworth to attend a Celebration of Life for a friend that owned a Toyota Land Cruiser parts business, Specter Off-Road. I was the token Patrol in a Land Cruiser meet. That friend is the one that helped me get the Patrol over here from Australia, so this Patrol has an extra special place in my stable.

AZhitman
Administrator

Pretty scary that I knew it was special from a miniscule pic. Great story!

mdawg4x4
Car: 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC 4X4
2011 Nissan Murano
2006 Nissan Sentra
1963 Nissan Patrol

I haven't been around NICOclub in quite some time, but remembered there being a small amount of Patrol content here at one time. Good to see Leslie here. She is "THE" Patrol expert here in the US.

AZhitman
Administrator

There should be a lot more in the near future - we've got something in the works for you guys (and gals)!

RiverPatrol

OOOOooo…I can't wait. Where's the popcorn? :popcorn:

Where can I find this smiley pack? I'd like to use it.

Return to “Datsun / Nissan Patrol”