OK now what do I do?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

So i went back to discount after I noted on a previous thread that i thought they used improper weights, they balanced and rebalanced just to make sure (I was very impressed with the cumtomer service) I leave and while i am driving i hear a clunk and see somthing flying off behind me didnt think twice. we get to the dealership (we are shopping for a car for my wife) and I notice no center caps!!!!!!! So i call up dsicount they check ou the car I tell him I have a connection with infiniti parts and that discount will pay for everyhting so thats good now for the actual question I asked about the Sp5000's and aksed if they were supposed to get that way(kinda loud and yucky) he said they didnt sell many so he didnt know. I asked how much would it cost to get AVS db's instead he said all i would have to pay is 40 bucks for the warranty and thats it so what do you guys think?

Stick it out or pay 40 and get new yoko's?

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

$40 for 4 new tires + the cost of PLASTIC center caps?!?!

Sounds like a deal to me!

Get the Yokos.. they're wonderful in rain and pretty good in snow too. Not bad on dry pavement either.

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

I would jump all over that deal. The Dunlops (in my opinion) are crap. You will get much better tread wear and noise reduction with the Yoko's. We have always had good luck with Yokomamas, we sell quite a few. $40.00 is nothing to upgrade to those (my 2 cents).-Joe

DenverQ

Hey Joe I just orderd the caps today lol and discount will pay for them so i guess 40 bucks it is and a new set of AVS db's for me Ill keep you all posted. Ive always wanted to yokos but somehting always got in the way

PS the 3 caps cost 92 bucks after discount

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

You are bottom feeding with tires, nowhere near the quality of the oem that came on the 94Q [which were worse than the ones that came on 90-93Q].

I had a blow by blow report [on another forum] on the Dunlop D5000 which I gave away at 5,000 miles after balancing them every 500 miles but they are better than the Dunlop A2.

A serious tire is the Michelin Pilot series or the Firestone SZ50 EP or the Bridgestone 940 all are in the $110-130+ range.

Sure the AVS db has a 30 day warranty but it takes 3-5,000 miles for the edge feathering and noise to build up.

Directional tires are difficult on a Q because you can never rotate or flip them to cancel the directional heel /toe edge wear thus the noise!

I have run the Directional SZ50 for 15,000 miles now with good results, the Pilot H4 can easily do 25,000 [Pilot V4 at least 20,000] quiet miles with 4,000 mile rotation.

The braking difference between soft [220] and medium hard tires [300-400] can be 8-10 feet at only 50 mph. My son found out what I had been trying to tell him today the hard way, his choice cost him at least $1000 [deductable] plus no telling what his insurance will go to.

petersm
Car: fishing and infiniti Q45's

DenverQ wrote:Hey Joe I just orderd the caps today lol and discount will pay for them so i guess 40 bucks it is and a new set of AVS db's for me Ill keep you all posted. Ive always wanted to yokos but somehting always got in the way

PS the 3 caps cost 92 bucks after discount
Where did you order the caps from ? I lost 2 caps and have had a hard time locating some replacements.

Thanks

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Q45tech wrote:The braking difference between soft [220] and medium hard tires [300-400] can be 8-10 feet at only 50 mph. My son found out what I had been trying to tell him today the hard way, his choice cost him at least $1000 [deductable] plus no telling what his insurance will go to.
Uh oh!!

Did he rear end someone? He driving a pickup?

Are there softer, more performance oriented tires AVAILABLE for pickups and little SUVs ???

DenverQ

OK I cancelled my order for the yokos and asked about the pilots they are 30 bucks per tire extra so what do i do pay the 160 (120+40 from last time)? or get the yokos. All of you AVS bd people how do you like your tires did they stay quiet for 15-20k? any other good info would be great

I got the center caps from Joe At infiniti of scotsdalehttp://www.infinitipartsusa.com

Q45tech

The point was just to understand what you are buying and the trade offs you make for your decision. It's always your fault if you hit someone in the rear. The SZ50 EP will way out [wet or dry] brake the Michelin Pilots {H,V, or Z] in equal sizes due to absense of sipes and rubber vs void area.

Small Nissan pickups can operate with 225/60/15 if a Q can, the ABS worked fine but a single foot would have made the difference.Typical Atlanta 5 car pile up.

Following to close for reaction time with the tires you chose.

lonallenq45

I have had the AVS dbs on my car for 10,000 miles now. No abnormal wear, feathering or additional noise. These tires are really quiet. They are turning out to be a great purchase. They perform really well in both wet, but especially in dry conditions. I have no regrets for this purchase and would do it again when need be.

Lon

DenverQ

I think I am gonna go with the Yokos after reading all the reviews and the test on tirerack besides i need to spend that 160 on some tranny flush action

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...b.jsp

greg_atlanta

My Yoko AVS dB made a few funny noises going around big sweeping turns on mountain roads going twice the suggested speed... but don't do that every day.

No tire is really good for 30,000 miles. My logic is that cheaper tires are easier to part with. You get yourself in trouble buying "nice" tires and then getting your money's worth by driving them until they're nearly bald (which most people do).

The Yokos are very sticky for an all-season tire.

DDWQ45T
Car: Cars, Motorcycles, Recumbent Bicycles

I don't push my tires too hard. I have liked that the Pilots seem to end up taking quite a bit less weight to balance, and seem to stay in balance better than other comparably priced Goodyear or Goodrich or Toyo tires that I have owned.

They seem to wear well, but I expect that I am giving up some stickiness to get that.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Have had my Yokohamas for 5K mi, and much prefer them to Michelin XVGT, especially in the rain. No feathering yet, but I do not run them real hard.

Michelin is probably the best built tire quality wise, but the wet performance has faded.

Q45tech

Contrary to Michelins ad claims [or what they appear to be saying about rain and their tires] All Weather/Season tires are not the best in rain due to the blends of chemicals in the rubber to acheive pliablity in cool weather.A tire [not designed PURELY for RAIN] has its wet performance controlled by the depth of its tread and the softness of its rubber at the temperature of the interface [road].Most half worn tires are not very good in rain mostly because the rubber has turned hard not because the groove is shallower.

Many of the finest rain racing tires have very few grooves and those are directional but shallow. They are only useful in wet conditions, in dry they will overheat and blister the soft rubber in a few minutes.

All tires are compromised, its just that all season and longer lasting ones are more compromised.

A couple of years or 25,000 miles is plenty long enough to keep a set of tires [on a heavy car like a Q] none of the survivors are anywhere close to new performance even Michelins.

In LA and Atlanta [Severe OZONE] destroys them faster! Unlike our lungs they has no method of restoration!

Glad members are finding the Yok DB to be ok at 5k and 10k this is a good sign.

QShip

Dennis, I really appreciate that tire info you passed on.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Just a few months back, I got new tires for my 95Q. I went with the Firestone SZ50EP, in a slightly wider width (225/60-15 rather than 215/65-15) on stock rims, and love them! These are the best tires I have ever had - counting 6 cars in 28 years of driving!

I know Dennis likes (liked?) the original OEM Michelin XGT's (that are no longer made), but I feel that the SZ50EP's are easily better in wet weather braking and handling, far quieter than any other tire I have ever had, and equal to the OEM Michelin's in all other respects. My long post on this tire was, unfortunately, on the old NICO web site.

The Yokohama AVS db are less expensive than the Firestone's though.

Z

Return to “General Chat”