ok guys here it is proof

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
smug510

i just got a late 88 sohc block that came in a friends 89 240. got it home and immediatly started putting the 95 dohc head on it , and it bolted to the block.

as you can see the head bolts all line-up with the dohc gasket on there

then i took the sohc and dohc crank gears and they are the same size and the same teeth with the same spot marked, and here is also the timing chains the sohc one is signifantly larger, so i used the dohc timing chain and the timing chain guides and tensioner.

so it looks like this

the only problem i ran into was this, on the top of the timing chain cover where the tensioner goes , the dohc one sticks over the top hole a little , so you will have to shave one or the other

and i guess you would be able to choose which distributor you want to use , but all and all its now been done , this combo should have 11.7.1 comp. and a whole lot cheaper than putting the pistons in a dohc , if you have any questions feel free , i did this in about an hour .

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

...and all of the water jackets/passages line up?Quote »and a whole lot cheaper than putting the pistons in a dohc [/quote]i don't see how.

-demetrius

smug510

yes all of the little holes in the head line up . and for the cost its probably the same if you were to put pistons in , but the hassle of putting pistons in is going to be very big , especialy for the inexperienced ones , this is just another route to take , just because every thread i read and someone asks if its posible to do this and the first thing to be said is "no way its impossible" ive yet to hear a logical answer why it does not work, but now ive prooved the wives tale wrong , i think nobody took the time to check.

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

So you're using a 100 shot of nitrous on an engine with 11.7:1 cr?

You are aware that your engine will blow up if you run that much nitrous on that much compression, right?

Good job nonetheless :)

smug510

thats my old engine . i now have a sohc ka turbo on 8 lbs

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

Modified by deviousKA at 4:46 AM 9/17/2005

smug510

thank you deviouska , im going to use the sohc lower chain cover because it holds the oil pump and what not , and for the top chain cover im going to use the dohc cover , the only tricky part is that the top cover on a dohc sticks out about an inch farther than the sohc , so i will have to make a plate that covers the bottom of the cover that sticks out. and i used the dohc guides and tensioners, and yes the tensioner is like 1/4 inch to high to hit the designated spot on the guide , but as long as its touching it its ok, the sohc guide is to tall it hits the idler gear on the head.

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

YAY!!!! L20B/KA24DE hybrid here we come!!!!!! who wants an L20B fully counterweighted 86mm stroke crank with an 88mm bore and an awesome rod/stroke ratio all topped off with a multi valve head? SRwho?

McAdam

edit: put a DOHC KA head on THIS motor, sit back, and watch the SR boys drop like flies.

fogleroller

Wow, this is great information.

On a SOHC car 89/90, would you have to do any re-wiring or anything?

I am very interested in seeing the finished product.

Hey smug510, do you have a website?

deviousKA

McAdam wrote:YAY!!!! L20B/KA24DE hybrid here we come!!!!!! who wants an L20B fully counterweighted 86mm stroke crank with an 88mm bore and an awesome rod/stroke ratio all topped off with a multi valve head? SRwho?

McAdam

edit: put a DOHC KA head on THIS motor, sit back, and watch the SR boys drop like flies.

hey ***, im already building one, jk. No really the project is in the works but im going with a 89-90mm bore in a ka block.

using the modified l20b crankshaft with z24 rods and pistons with a 39mm comp. ht. in a ka24de block. the rod to stroke ratio is going to be excellent. I cant wait to see how it turns out.

Some very interesting combinations, i cant have a fj so im going to build my own

Note: i will be offering the modified l20b crank to work in ka blocks very soon. It will be able to use the ka timing chain, pump drive, and pulley with l,z series style rods.

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

devious>>>> just use a Z24I truck block, you can put a L20B crank in there withour modifying it, me thinks. and if the KADE head will fit on a KAE block, it will also bolt onto a Z24I block.

looking at some of the old threads concerning the SOHC to DOHC head swap questions, some people have been very busy going thru and deleting posts as not to look like asses now that this information has come to light. WHen I was looking at it, as well as when Smug510 first posted about it a few months ago, EVERYONE said there is no way it will work, as the HEAD BOLT HOLES wont even line up, let alone the water passages and oil passages. PEople thought to be very knowlegdable (sp?) said such things, which makes me wonder. I dont see why they would have to lie about it, just say, "I dunno, I've never tried! thats a good idea!"

but there was all this talk of the E and DE being two COMPLETELY different motors and blah blah blah...... How does crow taste, people?? I am sure my post will get edited or even deleted by the powers that be, but oh well. I just think its amusing.

McAdam

TrunkMonkey

calm down mcadam.

i'll be the first to admit that i was one that said that it couldn't be done, and i'll be the first to admit i was wrong. that's what i was always told, so that's what i took as fact. head swapping has never been my cup of tea, so i never looked into it myself.

as far as people deleting/editing their posts, well...that's kinda sad.

i'm eager to see what else you guys can pull off, so keep us posted.

-demetrius

smug510

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fogleroller "]Wow, this is great information.

On a SOHC car 89/90, would you have to do any re-wiring or anything?

I am very interested in seeing the finished product.

Hey smug510, do you have a website? [/QUOT

this will only give you 11.7.1 comp if its early 89 , i belive the late 89s came with like 8.6.1 comp , as for the wiring i will have to look into that , i would think you be able to just change injector plugs and the temp sensors plugs and that stuff ,because you can choose which dist to run , its definitly something to look at , well thanks for the replies guys im glad i can open new options for you and i wil see about putting this thing in my car , maybe when i get tired of maintaining a turbo car i will go all motor again ,but good luck with your projects .

deviousKA

Yes the l, and z series blocks are obvious options. If you are putting into a vehicle that easily accepts them, which a 240sx does not. If i wanted to run no power steering and have modified motor mounts i would (i would use the z20 siamesed med. ht. block). I would rather modify the crankshaft and utilize the 90mm ka bore without a crack prone block (yes the z24i is crack prone in the head bolt/block deck area [is this such a bad thing?, not as much as one would think]). Oh and i dont want to run a z series timing chain cover and try to mate it up to a dohc ka head either (ka covers will not work on z, or l). One of the good things about using the l20b crank in z block with ka sohc head is that you can easily use the dual timing chain and z guides tensioner and upper sprocket, but to me the cons outweigh the pros for my application. If i had a bad boy oldie datsun i would do that, but im using 240sx.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

what sort of ecu do you plan on running this hybrid motor with? S-AFC should do it.

TrunkMonkey

if you run the dohc ecu and distributor, you shouldn't need an s-afc.

-demetrius

smug510

yes i would run the dohc ecu and distributor , im thinking about putting this thing in my car , reliable 200+ hp sounds pretty nice seeings how im having trouble with my sohc right now , i think i will start fabing some individual throttle bodies for the dohc , sounds to fun . and who makes the best header for the dohc ?

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

only problem with the ITBs is what to do with the MAF, you gotta switch over to MAP, or am I mistaken? I really want some ITBs so if you find a way around it, other than the obvious stand alone management, please share.

TrunkMonkey

it's best to go with a standalone. it may be possbile to use the maf if you build a plenum to cover the ITBs, but i seriously doubt you'll come remotely close to reeping all the benefits of the setup if you're goal is to try to keep the oem ecu (even if it's modified).

-demetrius

smug510

what do i have to set my s-afc to to put a z32 maf?

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

how's the motor comming along?

smug510

if you are refering to my motor it is coming along well, i got a head gasket today and i am almost finished with my port and polish job ,so i have to put the springs and retainers and valves back in and bolt it on i should have the motor in by this weekend for shure.

rudeboy
Car: cars

more pics man. or just give us the link to your photo folder.i'm lovin it.i think my friend mike is gona do it on his KAE

Structure240sx

im assuming u use the dohc intake mani. do u use the DE engine harness or splice the injector plugs. what about the plugs that go onto the intake mani?

TrunkMonkey

if you use the dohc head, you have to use the dohc's intake and exhaust manifold, wiring harness, distributor, and ecu.

-demetrius

Structure240sx

thats not bad considering i have all those parts sittin in my garage

smug510

ya im going to use the dohc wire harness and intake, does anyone know of a header for cheap maybe someone wanting to go turbo , i will beable to trade a turbo manifold for a header, let me know

Structure240sx

daniel240 was sellin one from his s14 to go turbo. if not hotshot makes the best. pacesetter makes ****ty cheap ones

smug510

thx

Structure240sx

u will update us when u have this motor running right? im very interested in doin this my self sometime

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”