ok guys here it is proof

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Guam_Guy

So you are using the DE upper front cover and the E lower front cover right? What about the head gasket is that just a DE head gasket that is trimmed?

smug510

its a de head gasket , its not trimmed

Guam_Guy

If that is a DE head gasket in the pictures, then it has to have been trimmed, because the DE head gasket also seals the upper and lower front covers.

smug510

no the dohc gasket does not seal the covers the sohc gasket is the one that seals the covers

Guam_Guy

Opps double post... My bad

Guam_Guy

I just rebuilt 2 KA24DE Motors and the head gasket for the KA24DE seals the upper and lower timing chain covers. here is a engine breakdown illustration of a KA24DE motor. I dont know which head gasket you were using but all the head gaskets I've even used on a KA24DE sealed the upper and lower timing covers.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

the DOHC has two timing chain covers, the SOHC does not.

the DOHC head gasket does seal both covers. the SOHC head gasket seals the timing chain cover to the bottom of the cylinder head.

smug510, why does your head gasket have the timing chain portion ripped?

the more i think about it, the only way this swap is going to work is if the bottom timing chain cover for the DOHC is the same as the SOHC's. if not, then the DOHC's top timing chain cover will not match the SOHC's cover.

care to verify any of this?

-demetrius

TrunkMonkey

now the pictures won't load?

-demetrius

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

the dohc upper cover/sohc timing cover will have to modified to fit together. They are really a long way off. The fwd ka24de cover/head is closer to that of the sohc cover. This is the head i am using on one of my z blocks. The truck ka24de (uses older timing cover mounted dist like ka24e) i have not been able to try but i think would be the best canditate for the swap. the dohc 240 upper cover is very large to accomidate the the distributor and drive gear.

TrunkMonkey

deviousKA wrote:the dohc 240 upper cover is very large to accomidate the the distributor and drive gear.
is the entire upper timing chain assembly of the DOHC located behind the top timing chain cover? if not, it will never clear the SOHC cover.

-demetrius

smug510

thats a good question demcj i was under the impression all of the dohc gaskets were like that , perhaps the previous owner did this, and for the timing cover thing, the only solution i found was to fabricate a little plate to adapt the bottom of the dohc upper cover to the sohc cover , the site i host my pics on is down for some stupid reason

Guam_Guy

demjc

Yes the whole upper timing chain assy is on the cylinder head

Guam_Guy

smug510 that head gasket that is in your pics is a KA24E head gasket.. It is also trimmed.

Thee 240sx Owner
Car: Racing... And maybe a Gurl if the car breaks down???

Can we keep this going please i want to know if its possible before i attempt any of this

glacier985
Car: 72 240z
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

I got a whole KA24DE it my shed and the ecu to go with it. When it starts to warm up I'm going to attempt this and hopefully evrything will work out.

k6kicker
Car: 90 300zx(tt) 95 240sx

yeah if i could get circa 200 hp out of this with i/h/e and some timing adjustments ill drive up to the local junkyard, snag a de and an e and stop at nappa on the way home and get all the gaskets and a timing chain and all......if i can get it on par with a stock(or close to stock) sr then ill be happy

smug510

good news i am finally going to do the swap , the sohc turbo was giving me a bunch or trouble so i yanked the head and i am going to put the dohc one on , i e-mailed structure240sx to see about that dohc head but he hasnt gotten back to me yet but as soon as i get the head i will bolt it on and see what it will do , i am almost done with my intake manifold so i will be able to use that to , but i need to know if anyone has a stock or aftermarket header for the dohc , like an idiot i threw mine away a while back but i need one bad , thx

robertwb70
Car: 72 datsun truck=PL-521/on 85 frame Z-24eng+cam+ported+weber38DGAS

rather than modifying the front cover(top/head part) I think it would be possible to use that part from a frontier pickup -thus making the whole thing a bolt on affair

SHIFT_mini

smug510 wrote:....they did change pistons in late 89 , instead of having 9.1:1 they changed to 8.6:1 why i dont know but that doesent mean it will not work on thoes late 89 motors , you will just have like 11.2:1 instead of 11.7:1 ....

CR would be the same regardless unless they changed the CC's too...Im more concerned if this will be an interference engine.

Good post btw, came over from another board. Keep us updated.

edit: OT which car did your ct-26 come from - Supra, Celica, MR2?

robertwb70

SHIFT_mini wrote:CR would be the same regardless unless they changed the CC's too...Im more concerned if this will be an interference engine.

if the piston dish changes it will change the CR

and what is this I see every so often about an "interference engine"??-most engines made since flat head fords will break/bend parts if cam timing is way off or timing parts break/fail

the only way I can imagine an OHV engine not being an interference engine would be if it had say 6 to 1 compression or next to NO valve lift or something crazy-most new engines are pushing 10 to 1 so you can bet pistons and valves occupy some of the same space(at different times if everything works right)

smug510

yes in late 89 they changed pistons but the head remains the same , i got my turbo off of a supra

eddiec
Car: 91 S13

nice write up and pix esp the pix. would it be possible to get a pic of the timing cover that was fabricated? i think this is the make or break part for me.

nice work

driftn240
Car: umm, cars, computers, car audio

With the head hanging that far over the end of the block, I don't see this happening. wouldn't it make sense that if the head is offset that much that the space in the head for the chain and gcam gears is dangerously close to the chain. I don't mean to sound doubtful but I'll buy this when I see it up and running. eddiec I'm with you I'd like to see this cover. If this beast actually runs then props to ya for being the first to make it happen. You'll be the hybrid pioneer of our beloved boards.

robertwb70

to all the naysayers-have you looked under the hood of a frontier truck with the KA-24DE?nissan has already done the swap-these trucks have essentially a SOHC block with a 16 valve head on it and has the front cover parts to do the swap without any mods and even stock 240 covers only leave about 1 sqaure inch of open space that would need to be filled-other than that the swap will certainly work-no doubts about it-I've mocked it up-because I have a truck I can't use a DE block due to oil pan interference and the position of the oil pump won't allow a rear sump pan-not even a custom-so if I want DOHC I'll have to make a hybrid-or get the ready made nissan frontier engine-which are nearly nonexistant where I live(at least in the junk yards)

smug510

ok its all put together and in the car , and i just got my header, but i seem to be having some coil issues so after i get them figured out i will have this thing running , here is my photo album link , it has the turbo pics and the hybrid pics

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287942035

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

another route to consider regarding the timing chain cover and all.... why not just use an altima head? plug the hole out of the back of the head for the dist because you;'ll have one in the front cover on the SOHC block! i would wager that an altima upper timing chain cover would almost amtch up with a SOHC front cover. just a thought tho, for anyone wanting to give this a shot.

Smug510>> Glad to hear you have it almost running! let me know if you need a coil, I could proabbly get one from teh junkyard for under $10. keep us informed, as per usual!!

McAdam

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

McAdam wrote:another route to consider regarding the timing chain cover and all.... why not just use an altima head? plug the hole out of the back of the head for the dist because you;'ll have one in the front cover on the SOHC block! i would wager that an altima upper timing chain cover would almost amtch up with a SOHC front cover. just a thought tho, for anyone wanting to give this a shot.

McAdam

I've got an altima and and 240 DE motor and the valve covers are the same length so I am amusing the heads are the same length as well. So I don't think this will work, but I'm not saying it won't work. And if your wondering why I measured the valve covers, well I had broke my altimas cover and tried to put the 240's valve cover on the altima, evrything fit perfect except for the three middle bolts.

smug510

alright i have good news, it runs and runs fast, i got it running about 12 o'clock and have been driving around my block , the stock injectors were to small though , i had to put the fuel pressure at 75 psi to run it , so i put some sr20det injectors in and turned the fuel down to 30 psi and it runs fine , i should have a video pretty soon so stay tuned

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

that great news! now it just needs to get warm here so I can do it. I got one question though did you have to use the DE wring harness or E?

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

nice job smug. Hey McAdam, altima head is a somewhat close fit. I like the fwd intake because the runners go into the head straighter, so it is easier to make custom manifolds from. heres a few reference pictures i had laying around

altima dohc ka24de gasket

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”