Oiling air filter

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

rn79870 wrote:I'm just surprised that you did anything "liberal," as in "liberal application of oil." Had you stuck to your conservative self you would have been just fine! This outta teach you to try to be a liberal!

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

joe603 wrote:So while we're talking about this...what about the JWT filter? That's a K&N, oil-style filter right? Got me all nervous now
http://www.jimwolftechnology.c...T.PDFmight have to cut and paste the above link

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

ArizonaG35 wrote:Thanks for the advice... I'll probably hold off on the MAF cleaner til I see how the clean filters work...

MMMMMMMMMM.... HUFFING!
Dave are you a farker?

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

rn79870 wrote:I'm just surprised that you did anything "liberal," as in "liberal application of oil." Had you stuck to your conservative self you would have been just fine! This outta teach you to try to be a liberal!

I deserved every bit of that!

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

joe603 wrote:So while we're talking about this...what about the JWT filter? That's a K&N, oil-style filter right? Got me all nervous now
I have seen/read where others with JWT have used the K&N cleaning kit and now their filters are red. From what I've seen/read it's ok to use K&N on it.

I've been using K&N's for years in my mustangs/exploders/pathys/max/G35....

K&N has a good write up on how the oil does not harm the MAF

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

ArizonaG35

gwoods wrote:
Dave are you a farker?
I've been called MANY things in my life, but never a Farker! I haven't spent much time on Fark... usually Collegehumor,Yourdailymdedia,dumpalink etc... I'll check it out...

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Joe... your ok for using K&N... I re oiled mine 3 weeks ago and everything is

For anyone else.... NEVER over oil your filter!! Just one quick spray going along the lines of the filter... to me "liberally" means excess??

And definitely let it sit for awhile before re-installing so excess oil runs down to the bottom of the filter. Then shake it off really good.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Thats what I thought...thanks Sean!

oldandslow
Car: 08 G35S & a bunch of fords

QUESTION: How often should we clean our K & N Filters? I have a fujita short ram intake and I live in the desert so we get a LOT of dust around here... Is this something that should be done on a regular basis?[/QUOTE]

Arizona ,K&N sells fabric filter covers for dusty climates.They say You can extend the time between cleanings,and they come in all shapes.

ArizonaG35

Well boys, I removed the fujita filters this morning only to find a pool of filter oil floating on the tip of the short ram pipe where the filter meets the pipe! My original thoughts were right... not only did I oil a non oil type filter, but I OVER-OILED a non oil type filter! To me!

I wiped down the short ram pipe and soaked both filters in a palmolive bath for an hour. After an hour, the bucket with the filters looked like a mini Exxon Valdez spill! I rinsed them and poured them a new bath to freshen the soap water. After a couple more hours the filters were totally cleaned. I did a thorough rinse to ensure no soap residue and let them dry in the desert sun for about 3 more hours.

I just re-installed them and they roar like brand new! The cleaning made an immediate difference. The oil was obviously clogging the filters and making the car run rich. The throttle response has returned to peak and no more signs of decreased performance.

The ominous pool of oil so close to the MAF sensor concerns me that it may have splashed on the MAF, potentially contaminating it, but i'm not going to clean it just yet. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Although I feel a little sheepish for (over)oiling the Fujita filters, may this be a lesson to non-oil filter owners not to ever oil the filter. You shouldn't always think that since your filter looks like a K&N, it may not require the same maintenence as a K&N.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Dave

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

Thanks for the lesson

I will have to remember this when it is time to clean mine lol.. BUt the K&N uses oil.

DJ

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

A rule of thumb when checking the filter is if you put a flash light into the filter and the beam looks dim, you should probably clean it. You can also use any water-based cleaner like 409 or Shout--something that you can use on clothes to get stains out. I use Shout personally.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”