OILconsuption test

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
tonylou
Car: 2004 fx45

Ihave a fx45 with 90,000 miles.Ibrought my car in to the dealer i purchased it from .Itook it becouse i noticed the oil was low about 600 miles after i had it changed it was down 2.5 quarts of oil. I checed the oil when the car was piced up at the dealer ,it was fine then . I thought i may have a leak so i put cardboard under the car each time i came home .No sign of a leak.I change the oil at maintenace intervals.I had not noticed oil loss befor. I brought it in to the dealer for what he sead was an oil consuption test.I was told to bring it back in 1,000 miles.I called them today to scedual an appoinment , becouse when checing the oil again i noticed the oil down to the low oil mark on the dipstick. While talking to a service person i was told that oil consuption is normal on this v8 engine.Aquart every 1,000- 1,200 miles may be normal but i dont think that much is .I was also told they dont use a dye when doing an oil consuption test.I would assume you would like to show where the oil is going [out the exhoust ]Leaking out a seal or engine gasket . dye and black light would help that .Is it true that they dont use dye.Ican see some blow by when standing behind the car and having someone hit the gas,but i never noticed it while driving. Anyone have any thougts on this problem.THIS car has had all the services and oil changes required .It was a certified used car.TONY

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah, I wouldn't call that normal. How long ago did you get it? Do you have a lemon law? Being a certified used car, I'd ask to see their certification check list. Let it be known that the amount of oil the engine is consuming is NOT acceptable. Hell, even a quart every 1500 miles on a certified used car isn't acceptable.

tonylou

It was not normal.I love the car .I have had the car for three years .I was interested to see how everyone else felt .Do they use a dye for a consumption test or not ? They sead i could come in today .They sead they will check the level of my oil .The thing i dont like about it is the oil is low,im on the L line .I will drive it about 7 miles to the dealer. Then they will let me know how to proceed from there.Will keep you informed .TONY

bigb56
Car: 2008 Infiniti FX35 RWD

All an oil consumption test does is determine the amount of consumption, not where it is actually disappearing to. They need to verify there is a problem before they dignose it. After 3 years I doubt if they will accept any responsibility if something recently went wrong with the engine, but I could be wrong (and hopefully I am).
How many miles have you put on it in those 3 years?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

No, they don't use any dyes. Driving it with the level on the L is fine... just don't let it go much lower than that.

tonylou

Thanks for the info

Captain Obvious
Car: G35

If it's not leaking it has to be going out the exhaust. Could be bad valve seals allowing oil in the head to be sucked into the cylinders, or the rings aren't scraping enough crankcase oil off the cylinder walls. Either way too much oil is getting into the cylinders and is being burned.

You'd probably see some signs of this during an emissions test, the hydrocarbons will be high. Not good for your catalytic converters either.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”