Oil squirter for timing chain?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
noodl35

Okay so my timing chain broke the first time causing the intake cam to break off by the cam gear. All journels are scared and the cams are pretty scorched. The timing chain punctured a hole in the oil pump. So i'm at the point right now where I already installed my spare blacktop head, installed all new guides, tensioner, chain..etc. Now after when all this mess happened, i found this cylinder metal thing with a dot on the end. It was in my oil pan after I took it off. I believe it was on top of the crank gear connected to the block. Well I have everything all reinstalled, about to start up the motor. BUT now I just found out its an oil squirter for the timing chain! I just left it out, i didn jb weld it back or anything, cuz i didnt think it was important. DO you guys think this will cause a mess later down the road? WHat do you guys think caused my timing chain to break in the first place.

slow s13
Car: cars, photo, music

no wonder this car was in the junk yard...I bought it!

Well after spending all that money on new parts and assembly although a huge hassle I think it would be worth going back in there to get that on.

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

As many times as I've assembled and disassembed an SR, I never noticed an oil squirter for the timing chain. I figure it was lubed through the oil pump or excess oil sprayed in the head will overflow down the chain. If your cams look "burnt" and heated, it was an oiling problem up top. The oil rails that spray oil onto the cams can easily be clogged by a simple grain of sand. Each cam lobe has two pin holes that spray oil directly on it, and I've seen these clogged in used SR's all the time. I clean it out using compressed air and a bucket of water. If enough of them got clogged, the lobes would become dry and begin to create frictional drag on the valvetrain and whatever drives it (the chain). The chain might have taken some stress from driving a dry valvetrain and gave up. It was either that or it was its time to go anyway.

robbbby

ItzGenX wrote: I figure it was lubed through the oil pump or excess oil sprayed in the head will overflow down the chain.
Chain tensioner.

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

If you're referring to the little cylinderical thing that comes out of the block just above the crank sprocket with a little punch mark, yes it's a critical part. Without that part, you'll have extremely low oil pressure. It's a $5.00 part new from dealership, but can make all the difference between your motor lasting more than 5 miles. Do NOT JB Weld it into place, it presses into place. If you're paranoid, use a thread sealant, although it doesn't really need that either.

noodl35

180 Fan: You say its $5.00 part from nissan. What can i tell them about the part? "Oil Squirter for a 91-94 sr20de sentra"?

But If its pressed in, how am I going to get it out? Since my timing chain broke the first time...it completely snapped that cylinder thing right off. I'm mainly confused on if i do get that new part, how am i going to take the old messed up part off and installing the new part.

noodl35

Well i just got back from Nissan and I bought this part from a sr20de called "JET-OIL" which i think is the squirter above the crank gear that needs to be pressed in. Part # is 13081-53J00.Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number. There were 2 parts listings, but i got the this one instead, i shoulda bought both.

noodl35

noodl35

noodl35

noodl35

Part # is 13081-53J00

I hope this is the right part i need to replace the scarred bent peice.

180fan

Check out the sr20det parts guide. I've left the part number for the timing chain oil jet.

the way you get it out is by wrapping it up with a towel, and gripping it with vise grips. Turn side to side, and pull out.

noodl35

I guess installing wont be that hard. I guess try to press it into place. But how about the hole placement? Does the hole have to be right above the crank gear so it can lube it?

noodl35

WHere does that punch mark supposed to be at?

180fan

Punchmark points up.

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

very important part. on old z-series motors the chain was lubed by a hole in thefront main bearing. well, i saw a motor that had been rebuilt and the tech had put the bearing in backwards. whew, youve never seen a nice double t-chain go bad every 10,000 miles like that one did.

noodl35

Okay, upon closer inspection i found out my crank gear cracked with the key way in it...so the key way closest to the block is also cracked. No wonder when i put the motor on tdc, with the silver links at 12 oclock and 10 oclock, they were off alot. Now my question is, can i just take off my cams and just reposition it 12 and 10 like the fsm says or do the valves have to be in cooperation with the cams...cause remember my motor isn't all the way tdc since my broken crank gear was spinning independtly from the crank as it was broken off of the 2nd key way.

noodl35

since you guys now know that my crank sprocket and keyway is broken. What are the parts number for these? =\

noodl35

sr20det

180fan

not sure. If you need a crank sprocket and that spacer part, you can probably find one for the 91 Sentra SE-R with the 2.0L. If not I can rummage through my bin of parts and find another one. I'm pretty sure I've got a spare one sitting around as I sold the crank a few weeks ago and pretty sure I took that off. Let me know if you want it before I rummage through a garage full of SR parts ha ha ha.

noodl35

well that would be cool but i need this part ASAP, like today...cause i wanna get this over with!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”