Oil pump removal

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
LowFlying720
Car: 85/86 Nissan 720

Hi

I'm doing the timing chain on my 86 720. I'm trying to get the oil pump off but I cant get it to budge.

I have the 4 main bolts removed and have even got a putty knife into the space between the pump body and the front cover most of the way around. But it will not move. Is there a hidden bolt somewhere or something more that I need to do?

Thanks

David

Woodstock84
Car: 1983 Datsun 720
2.4L, 5sp Manual

Did you get it taken care of? I removed the oil pump on my 83 without any problems. Just the 4 bolts according to the Haynes manual. Something could be binding up with the spine gear (the spline gear for the timing is stabbed into the oil pump and a connecting rod links it to the distributor. Just a note, make sure to set your engine at #1 TDC and mark the position of your rotor bug before removing the oil pump. I made the mistake of skipping that step and it took me several tries to get it set back in time.

LowFlying720
Car: 85/86 Nissan 720

Yes I got it sorted out. Turns out the shaft of one of the four main bolts was so badly corroded that it was binding the oil pump and locking it down. When I went to undo that particular bolt the head just twisted off of it so I assumed that The threads were corroded and that was why I had a twisted off. But in fact it was the entire length of the shaft that was so badly corroded that it had locked it inside the hole and was stopping the oil pump from moving. I eventually decided that it was coming off one way or another and started to apply some serious brute forced to it. it took a lot of prying and pounding on it to get it to finally come off. that's when I figured out what was going on with the bolt.

Return to “Datsun 720”