Oil pressure running to high???VQ35HR

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
shar75
Car: 1990 300zxtt 2007 NISMO 350Z #134

I recently bought a brand new 07 nismo and have changed the oil a couple of times. I'm currently at 1207 miles and have run the RPM's out.Before this I had noticed that the oil psi was high on start up and would peg the oil gauge out when shifting on take offs staying under 3000 hitting 4000 RPM occasionally. Once I hit the magic number I gave the car a go.

The oil pressure tacked out the gauge and freaked me out. I talked to a friend that has an 03. He said his runs at about 30 psi at idle and about 100 psi at full throttle in the high RPM range. Mine does idle at 30psi.

Anyone heard of any kind of problems with the HR's in the 07's doing this?going to take it to the dealer tomorrow.
Modified by shar75 at 7:11 PM 1/20/2008

samej82
Car: 2007 Nissan 350z

it's normal.. that's how it's supposed to work... it would be abnormal if you weren't getting pressure.Don't take it to the dealer... they'll laugh at you

BlackSmoke
Car: 2007 350z Grand Touring

normal

shar75

I did a shearch before posting this and the same question was given the it's normal response.I don't feel that it's normal after looking in the FSM I'm sure. The oil pressure should be 43psi at 2000 RPM @ 176 degrees.Mine is running at about 60 yeah I know someones saying that good.The only thing is it pegs out the gauge at 4500 RPM and I mean past the 120 mark. If the oil Pressure gauge only reads to 120 it shouldn't go past it.

Looking at the oil pump break down I wonder if the springs or regulator are not right. You can't tell me it's good for the gauge or the sending unit if their not meant to go that high. If Nissan is telling people that this is normal someones going to get screwed when they pop a motor or seals.

samej82
Car: 2007 Nissan 350z

shar75 wrote:I did a shearch before posting this and the same question was given the it's normal response.I don't feel that it's normal after looking in the FSM I'm sure. The oil pressure should be 43psi at 2000 RPM @ 176 degrees.Mine is running at about 60 yeah I know someones saying that good.The only thing is it pegs out the gauge at 4500 RPM and I mean past the 120 mark. If the oil Pressure gauge only reads to 120 it shouldn't go past it.

Looking at the oil pump break down I wonder if the springs or regulator are not right. You can't tell me it's good for the gauge or the sending unit if their not meant to go that high. If Nissan is telling people that this is normal someones going to get screwed when they pop a motor or seals.
I wouldn't worry about it. My Z does the same thing. Your Z is brand new and covered under warranty. I'm sure if something like that occurred it would be covered. But, if you're really concerned I guess you should take it to the dealer.

Keep us posted.

BlackSmoke
Car: 2007 350z Grand Touring

Mine does the same thing, and I promise you I run my car hard everyday and every other chance I get. A friend of mine lives in Cali and he is big into tuning and he told me he saw the 11 350z's that came stright from the factory without mods to use in Tokoyo Drift, and the 2 or 3 that they equipped with turbos and the guys he saw there said to him that the stock nissans were beasts and that they could not wear these cars out. He said there was fiberclass torn up on them and dings everywhere but when they were started they sounded just like they were new. I know me and you could not have possibly run our cars like that, so you have nothing to worry about.

NSRsheets
Car: 2009 Nismo 370Z #85,1993 Nissan 240sx RB25DET coupe, 2013 focus

Mine starts out high when I first start it, but then drops down a little. It seems pretty normal to me. There's no hurt in takeing it get checked out.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Did you use a separate oil pressure gauge? It's quite possible the gauge on the dash or the sending unit might be bad.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the gauge or sending unit going bad from too much pressure if that's what it is. They are relatively simple devices. And if it did happen to get damaged by too much pressure, then it should be covered by the warranty as the high pressure shouldn't exist either.

My bet is on a bad gauge or sending unit though...

shar75

It's been a couple of weeks. Since then I have taken the car to the dealer and they said what everyone said they would. It's normal the gauge just reads high. direct qoute from service manager "Nissan engineers made this engine to be almost indestructable. If the oil filter expands from pressure or the engine is making internal noise. Then there is a problem."Even so my concern is that the gauge or sending unit is faulty. When the unit pegs out an eighth inch past the 120 mark in upper RPM's. it just doesn't seem right. So I ordered a 0 to 150 PSI gauge and installed it with the stock sending unit. The stock gauge appears to be correct at low pressure but not at high above 100 PSI. The difference of 10 PSI is showing. The manual gauge is only reaching about 115 at max RPM. It wasn't easy to take the photo with my wife holding the gauge, the smaller photo was at about 5500 RPM.

[IMG][/IMG]

It still ticks me off though because the guy at the dealership in chicago where I bought the car. Has told me after talking with their head tech that the gauge or sending unit may be bad.The thought that I paid for a brand new car and the dealer where I live doesn't want to even check the sensor because he said "Nissan won't pay for the labor". Why did I buy the extra warranty if they won't fix something that has obviously been problematic in more than one type of car. I know I'm just ranting a little but it sucks.

My concern that the engine was running to high an oil pressure is at least relieved. I'm not sure what to do about the sending unit or gauge being possible bad. I really don't feel like driving over 50 miles to take it to the next nearest dealer.

Modified by shar75 at 8:09 PM 1/20/2008

Atlanta SE-R
Car: Altima SE-R

I just experienced this problem last night. I actually have an Altima SE-R, but ran across this thread when I did a search and since the engines are closely related and share the same center mounted gauges, I thought I might post. My oil light actually flickered on, then off and I pulled over when I saw it and looked at my oil pressure gauge and it was past 120. I didn't drive any further and had the car towed to the dealership. Nothing else seemed to be wrong; oil level was fine, no overheating, etc.

I can keep you posted on what they tell me if you like.

shar75

yeah post up what they find out is wrong. Sounds like a sending unit puked out on you.

Atlanta SE-R

Just heard back from the dealer. It was cause by a rear main seal leak. $1400 to fix.

Needless to say I'm on the phone with Nissan warranty.

There are two things I don't understand about this issue. First, why would the pressure shoot past 120 if I had a leak? Second, why would I have a leak in an 05? I have consistent maintence on this car and the documentation to back it...seems odd.

shar75

The rear main probably blew out due to the oil pressure spike up past 120.Most likely it was way past 120.How many miles do you have on the car? Have you gone past the warrantycoverage? Just curious as to why you should have to contact Nissan warranty. The reason I took my car in was because I didn't want this tohappen to me. Next time you go to the dealer ask them if the oil filter expanded. This could of been caused by the oil pump regulator sticking. When you get the rear main fixed better have them check the oil pressureto make sure there are no further issues. If it's still shooting up past 120 you most likely have problems.

Atlanta SE-R

Shar75,Thanks for the response, sounds horrible...I have 65k on the car. Warrenty is out at 60k.

Good thing you brought your car in and had some warning signs. Nothing until the other night.

The kicker is that I just had a bunch of work done on the car 2 weeks ago by the dealership. They gave the car a once over and ran diagnostics on it. With the work that they did end up doing,, they should have been able to see the leak (I would think).

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask some more questions based on the information you've given me. Hopefully, I can get some more insight as to what happened.

doluckz
Car: 2004 350z

i have a 04 350 fully built motor oil pressure was fine then i drove 3 days after a show and my oil pressure was spiked at 120 at firsty start and droped alittle after warming up but my concern is that when i pulled my dip stick i had oil all the way up to the top (help)

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

doluckz wrote:i have a 04 350 fully built motor oil pressure was fine then i drove 3 days after a show and my oil pressure was spiked at 120 at firsty start and droped alittle after warming up but my concern is that when i pulled my dip stick i had oil all the way up to the top (help)
Make sure that when you check your oil, the engine is off and has been off for at least a few minutes. Then pull the dipstick, wipe it and then check it. The dipstick's channel doubles as one of the oil drains for the head.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I think the FSM says a 10 minute wait to allow the oil to clear the channel. If it's not in the FSM I know it's mentioned in the TSB regarding the oil consumption test procedures for the Rev Up version of the VQ.

doluckz
Car: 2004 350z

yes thats what i did after i posted on here and it was good ive always checked my oil before my trips and the one time i check it after i freak-out but im good on my oil level still high oil pressure reading

deletedalien
Car: Nissan S13 89 VQ35de

shar75 wrote:It's been a couple of weeks. Since then I have taken the car to the dealer and they said what everyone said they would. It's normal the gauge just reads high. direct qoute from service manager "Nissan engineers made this engine to be almost indestructable. If the oil filter expands from pressure or the engine is making internal noise. Then there is a problem."Even so my concern is that the gauge or sending unit is faulty. When the unit pegs out an eighth inch past the 120 mark in upper RPM's. it just doesn't seem right. So I ordered a 0 to 150 PSI gauge and installed it with the stock sending unit. The stock gauge appears to be correct at low pressure but not at high above 100 PSI. The difference of 10 PSI is showing. The manual gauge is only reaching about 115 at max RPM. It wasn't easy to take the photo with my wife holding the gauge, the smaller photo was at about 5500 RPM.

It still ticks me off though because the guy at the dealership in chicago where I bought the car. Has told me after talking with their head tech that the gauge or sending unit may be bad.The thought that I paid for a brand new car and the dealer where I live doesn't want to even check the sensor because he said "Nissan won't pay for the labor". Why did I buy the extra warranty if they won't fix something that has obviously been problematic in more than one type of car. I know I'm just ranting a little but it sucks.

My concern that the engine was running to high an oil pressure is at least relieved. I'm not sure what to do about the sending unit or gauge being possible bad. I really don't feel like driving over 50 miles to take it to the next nearest dealer.

Modified by shar75 at 8:09 PM 1/20/2008

Quick question,

Where did you connect this aftermarket gauge?

i need to know because i have a swapped VQ and i'm currently running blind with NO gauges and i DESPERATELY need to hook one up.

Pictures would be great Thanx :)

SlickNick86
Car: Nissan 350z 6 speed manual

C-Kwik wrote:Did you use a separate oil pressure gauge? It's quite possible the gauge on the dash or the sending unit might be bad.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the gauge or sending unit going bad from too much pressure if that's what it is. They are relatively simple devices. And if it did happen to get damaged by too much pressure, then it should be covered by the warranty as the high pressure shouldn't exist either.

My bet is on a bad gauge or sending unit though...

I've heard from a lot of people that have 350 z that the Voltage and Oil pressure gauge on the center dash cluster seem to spike frequently and are not very accurate. the best thing I would recommend is getting an aftermarket oil pressure gauge . A good rule of thumb is to have 10 pounds of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm that the engine is turning and if you're going to have your oil gauge saying 100 psi you might have a blockage in the oil system causing the high pressure.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”