oil pressure relief

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
holeset
Car: r32 skyline

despite our issues of bearings that seem to be the gremlin of all gremlins got the skyline running real good again,ill try and get photos of the new oil feed plumbing,one issue we got now is a massive engine miss,we not sure what causes it ,short shifting the motor goes hard but if the motor gets rung out to limiter basically half the motor drops all cylinders and runs like crap for ages then it eventually clears,may be the massive oil pressure munting the lifters? Anyone had any success reducing oil pressure through an external relief valve?only other option is to follow the advise of the stock car engine builder and reduce the size of the oil pump gear i guess.

Bart

Would extra oil drainage from the cam covers help?

holeset

usually a lot of the obvious solutions are missed in the madness of car mods,in this case you have pointed a very good one,thanks i will plumb some up this weekend and give it a go fingers crossed.

Bart

No worries, i think they normally drain from cam/rocker cover into vented catch can and into sump. Usually a -12 fitting or bigger to get good flow out of the cam cover. Im sure if you google this you should get good examples, normally out back of cam cover i think.

Bart

Actually the welsh plug on the back of the head may be a better option to fit a drain hose, similar to the RB engines

holeset

did the drain backs but even though they work good didnt fix the problem, put a massive pressure bypass on and still nothing, now all of a sudden the engine seems to be running mint? maybe some blockage in the oil pressure relief on the engine who knows, off to the track we go and man is this motor gonna get a right old hiding just to make sure any other problems will get caned out of it .

holeset

well after months of stuffing around with oil pressure reliefs and fuel pressure reliefs chasing the horrendous misfires the car was producing under heavy rev limit abuse i decided to do a bit of digging around in the Link G4 ECU,as it turns out the rev limit was set to a soft/hard setting which i changed to hard and leaned out the idle fuel map to stop the old watery eyes syndrome while sitting in the local Maccas drivethru and hey presto no more dropping cylinders and misfires,car goes really hard,did a little road works and was hooking 4th gear skids no probs,now to get some slicks and go give the old half shafts some well deserved treatment at the next drag meeting.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”