Oil leaking onto solenoid 2004 Xterra 4x4 3.3L Standard

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
beodawn1
Car: 2004 Nissan Xterra 4x4 3.3L

Good day folks.

I have an oil leak coming from the area near the firewall above the right/passenger exhaust manifold. It is dripping directly onto my starter's solenoid and killed my last starter which I just replaced. The valve cover above that exhaust manifold was a little loose so I tightened it thinking that would solve the issue, knowing that the exhaust manifold doesn't hold oil. I also cleaned the entire engine, top and bottom. I can't locate the leak. The front 3/4th's of the valve cover have no oil on them after I turn on the engine, completely clean. The front 3/4th's of the exhaust manifold and it's shield also have no oil. However, right at the back of the valve cover, literally surrounding the screw that is nearest the firewall on the valve cover, oil appears and then leaks onto the outside of the exhaust manifold and then drips onto the shield and then drips from the edge of the shield onto my starter's solenoid. The area between the back of the valve cover, which I tightened well but not over-tightened, and the firewall is so full of dark housing and wiring that I can't spot the oil leak. Since the valve cover is secure now, I could use some ideas about where this oil leak could be coming from so that I can stop it. We only have this one vehicle and I need to be able to go to work. Most of us know how that feels I figure, so any help is appreciated.

Also, the solenoid's battery cable comes with a rubber shield that is supposed to fit over the two solenoid bolts to protect them, I am guessing from things like this, but I found mine cut right up the middle about half way. Can anyone suggest a way to reseal this rubber protector?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Welcome to NICO!
Usually that cover is just to prevent you from arcing out on it while you're wrenching on something else... which is why they typically recommend removing the negative battery cable whenever you're working on a car. I like to live life dangerously, so I typically don't ;)

Your leak may be coming from the valve cover gasket even though you tightened it. Its probably due for a fresh set of valve cover gaskets, but while you're in there replacing them with the valve cover off, you can probably get a better look around to see if it may be coming from somewhere else. Are there any hoses back there? Are you able to take a picture of the concern? Hopefully it isn't the head gasket.

beodawn1
Car: 2004 Nissan Xterra 4x4 3.3L

I am pretty very well certain that it’s not the head gasket but you are right about it being time to do replace the old gasket seals. We got this truck from our daughter who bought it used and I can’t confirm that they have ever been replaced. I will try your suggestion right now. Thank you very much.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Good luck. Valve cover gaskets are usually pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”