Oil Leak

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Pslsurf15
Car: 1990 GTR BNR32

So I raised the boost up to 12 psi and as I was in 2nd I heard a loud pop. Pulled over to check it out and noticed my dipstick pushed out and oil that sprayed out of it. I don't have the problem at 7 psi just when I go higher. Motor was rebuilt about 4 months ago and replaced complete bottom end with R33 crank and new oil pump. So obviously its related to the increase in pressure any other insight on it ? PCV valve or something?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You shouldn't be blowing the dipstick out. Do a compression check. It could be PCV as well, but I have a bad feeling about the results of that rebuild.

Pslsurf15

Okay I will try that out and go from there.

Pslsurf15

So compression test went ~170 across all 6. Pulled PCV valve shook it sounds like it works but I will replace it anyways soon. Problem I noticed is that when I boost I am pushing over about 1.2 bar i still have the stock restrictor in and stock boost solenoid. I have all the vacuum lines connected according to the manual. Any ideas?

themadscientist

What do you mean stock restrictor?

What turbos do you have and how are you raising boost?

How are you routing your valve cover breathers?

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

Pslsurf15 wrote:So I raised the boost up to 12 psi and as I was in 2nd I heard a loud pop. Pulled over to check it out and noticed my dipstick pushed out and oil that sprayed out of it. I don't have the problem at 7 psi just when I go higher. Motor was rebuilt about 4 months ago and replaced complete bottom end with R33 crank and new oil pump. So obviously its related to the increase in pressure any other insight on it ? PCV valve or something?

If you are boosting that high, the only logical reason is you are boosting high enough to get to the bottom end. No other reason for a dip stick to pop out. Also if you have top end ventilation issues the extra boost means it getting beyond the top end valve train which could also be coming from the bottom end. Was this motor built to handle that much boost?

Pslsurf15

themadscientist wrote:What do you mean stock restrictor?

What turbos do you have and how are you raising boost?

How are you routing your valve cover breathers?

Stock restrictor meaning the one in the yellow band on the stock Boost solenoid.

Stock Turbos which is why I am so concerned since they will be destroyed if boost stays that high.

Valve cover breathers are going to PCV valve and rear turbo inlet(all from factory).

themadscientist

Are the actuators stock?

Pslsurf15

Motor was built with stock internal and R33 crank and N1 Oil and Water pumps. Previous oil pump backed out screws and lost all oil pressure. Goal wasnt power for rebuild. I have disconnected the hose that goes to wastegate actuators and now it is keeping boost at about .5 bar. Its when I connect it like it would be stock it have uncontrollable boost

Pslsurf15

themadscientist wrote:Are the actuators stock?
Yes everything is stock. I have HKS air intake with HKS Super Drager Exhaust and a RS Yamato ECU. ECU is said to have speed limiter removed and rev limit raised but I don't push it past 6600.

tyndago

Popping the dipstick tube is never a good thing. You did a compression check, but did you try a leak down? Excessive crankcase pressure is what pops a dipstick tube.

Venting the valvecover, make sure that PCV is all hooked up correctly. Also just a worn dipstick can make it pop out easier.

On the race cars, we often wire the dipstick tube in place. You can use one of the harness retainers that are used on the trans bolts to hold the trans electrical harness.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”