oil leak

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
gzman
Car: 2006 350z touring converable

06 I notice there is a lot of oil when I park, Looked under the car and saw that the undercover shroud is just hanging, and its wet(wet with oil) open hood and on the left side there are oil spots(wet) WHERE CAN/WHAT IS CAUSEing this? I just brought a Zspeed undercover shroud, taking to dealer and have them install and check out?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I'm sorry that it's a problem that brought your here, but we're glad you stopped in!

Your first priority, than not driving as car that's got next to no oil, is finding there leak... Without knowing where the leak actually starts you'll have terrible time figuring out the cause. Best case scenario would be your oil pan gasket*, but since you've found oil on the left side of your engine I doubt that's it. Let us know what you, or the shop find out so we can help if the it happens to another member.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

* Z's technically don't have an oil pan gasket, the FSM calls for RTV.

gzman

Thank well update after the DEALER clocks me. and thanks again.

gzman

Ok the dealer told me that the dip stick was not all the way in, causing the oil to blow up thru the tube, which I did notice there was oil all over the hood, and under the car. Drove it for about 50 miles and all seem well. They did a pretty good job of cleaning the oil under the car. Also I brought the zspeed undercover shroud and it looks good. So we b rolling this weekend with the top down..... Love my Z, BETTER then my girl.....oooops did I just type that

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Easy fix, pain in the a** to get all clean. :)

Glad to hear it was such a little thing.

Brad_G
Car: 03 350z Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen to me once. Didnt realize it until i got on the interstate and laid into it a little bit and the whole car filled with smoke. Scared the crap out of me. When I pulled over to check it out it turns out the last time i had checked my oil i accidentally put the dip stick in between the tube and the tiny little guide thats suppose to help put the dipstick where it goes. Obviously it didnt help me and i felt like a total idiot lol

simplewon
Car: 2004 black roadster

My 04 roadster started leaking behind the oil filter. A small oil cooler to block o ring. Part was cheap from nissan and easy to install.
The oil cooler is between the filter and the block. Glad yours was only a dip stick.

CrazedZ32Owner
Car: 91 Z32 TT(no motor), 2008 350Z Nismo, 05 Pontiac Sunfire speed machine!!! :)

gzman wrote:Ok the dealer told me that the dip stick was not all the way in, causing the oil to blow up thru the tube, which I did notice there was oil all over the hood, and under the car. Drove it for about 50 miles and all seem well. They did a pretty good job of cleaning the oil under the car. Also I brought the zspeed undercover shroud and it looks good. So we b rolling this weekend with the top down..... Love my Z, BETTER then my girl.....oooops did I just type that
that probably made you feel like :facepalm: lol

superman333
Car: Nissan 350z base 2006

I think I have the same problem. But I was going to ask it's all on the driver side with the oil. My question is can the dip stick break and leak a little over time. I was looking at some of the rubber on the dip stick and a small chunk is missing would that be the problem?

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

If the dipstick doesn't seat well and there is some space at the collar of the tube then oil could very easily get blown up and out the top when the engine is running.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”